TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suzuki Jimny

Suzuki Jimny

Thinking of buying a Jimny
    Anyone own or give an opinion?
    I know they are now discontinued and used are expensive
    Andy
    I’m looking 2019 onwards

Can’t really help except to say we hired one on a Greek island a couple of years ago, most fun driving I’ve had in decades.
    Cheers..
    Jase

5 speed gearbox and gruff, low power engine make anything but short journeys intolerable. Nice as a second car for when it snows or for a bit of off-road fun.

Cult following means you could probably buy one and give it a try and then sell again at minimal loss if it’s not for you.

Master
    Mate of mine went to from North Yorkshire to the Gobi desert in one and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We really fancied the newer version but they're like hen's teeth and holding their money, so as an alternative we're now looking at a Terios, bit roomier and essentially a Toyota.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Thinking of buying a Jimny
    Anyone own or give an opinion?
    I know they are now discontinued and used are expensive
    Andy
    I’m looking 2019 onwards
    A mate has one for when he goes shooting. You want to see some of the places he goes... he has all terrain tyres fitted and regularly drives past the posh shooters stuck in their Range Rovers and discoveries. He’s often towing a small trailer too.

It’s great for that kind of stuff, but I wouldn’t want to be driving long distances in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Can’t really help except to say we hired one on a Greek island a couple of years ago, most fun driving I’ve had in decades.
    Same here. Astonishingly capable off road, and seemed to be indestructible.

Pete

I don’t have any experience with the recent versions, but the earlier models are the closest modern 4x4 to the original Willys MB. If you look at the first versions from the 70s it’s clear where the inspiration lies.
    Light weight, short wheel base, low power, high torque engine. Put a set of uni bars on the wheels and I am sure it go just about anywhere.
    They are basic and would be good for a second car, would not want to drive one every day. They are pretty small inside if you are anything more than an average height bloke.

I believe they did not meet emissions norms and were removed from sale so very small numbers. Looks like a mini G-Class.

I really rate the Jimny (older generation) for its off road capabilities and low maintenance costs but it remains a "toy", not an everyday car for most people.

As mentioned, cult following (worse than MX5?) so priced accordingly
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    5 speed gearbox and gruff, low power engine make anything but short journeys intolerable. Nice as a second car for when it snows or for a bit of off-road fun.

Cult following means you could probably buy one and give it a try and then sell again at minimal loss if it’s not for you.
    All the info right there, bar the fact you have to drop the back seats to make the boot useable.

Brilliant little things, main problem is the typical British stuffy attitude towards anything that’s not perceived as luxury in some way.
    Go anywhere In Europe and you’ll see:
    Police
    Mountain rescue
    Farmers
    Firefighters
    Utility companies
    ..all putting them to great use. Id happily have one to knock about in and as an all weather hack, but have a 4x4 Hilux as I use the space in the back.

Cheers all. Just been reading that Suzuki are bringing the jimny back this year but as a 2 seat commercial van to get round emissions

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Cheers all. Just been reading that Suzuki are bringing the jimny back this year but as a 2 seat commercial van to get round emissions
    Should be pretty straightforward to turn it back into a car.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Great cars, IMO. Plenty of them around here and some of them are many years old and still going strong.

This one always raises a smile, I've seen it at some remarkably steep angles in hilly fields:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Friend has one affectionately named “the goat” as it would literally climb a mountain.

Craftsman
    I have had three over the years . Had the latest new one now for 2 years this April . All extremely reliable and extremely capable .The latest one's the best yet . Mpg with All terrains is about 35mpg .
    Excellent , can recommend with the proviso that mine is one of 3 vehicles so cannot say if suitable as a main do all vehicle

Passers bye seem to love the appearance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Great cars, IMO. Plenty of them around here and some of them are many years old and still going strong.

This one always raises a smile, I've seen it at some remarkably steep angles in hilly fields:

R
    Those tyres.........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I was thinking of one as a second car until I read how awful they were for any decent distance and the safety rating is very poor for a current car if I remember correctly? Sees a couple of new ones (before they were discontinued) and they look great especially in a basic colour with black wheels and covered in mud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I was thinking of one as a second car until I read how awful they were for any decent distance and the safety rating is very poor for a current car if I remember correctly? Sees a couple of new ones (before they were discontinued) and they look great especially in a basic colour with black wheels and covered in mud!

I understand the safety rating is mainly due to the lack of active safety features, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning etc, rather than unsafe in a accident

Blog Entries
    The only car I regret selling! And mine was a mid-90's Samurai (grandfather of the current Jimny). Sadly, the new one is eye-watering expensive over here, due to the fact that there's a lot of tax because the engine isn't 'clean'. Big mistake by Suzuki. These little wonders would sell these like hotcakes when the price wasn't so ridiculous.

Turn to the second hand market: these cars hold their value better than a BMW. Less annual depreciation (%-wise).

Buy one! New, second-hand... whatever, enjoy it!

Menno

Check out Jonny Smith (carpervert) on YouTube.
    He has one and raves about it.
    I’d love one but as someone said earlier in the thread they are holding their money really well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend’s 17 year old son rolled one last week & wrote it off. I don’t think it’ll do his insurance renewal premium any favours
    :-/