closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving - do you hog the wheel or share?

Master

Driving - do you hog the wheel or share?

I really hate the Mrs driving when I’m in the car - I get too nervous. I try not to “share the driving” on a trip even if it leads to “words”. Guess I’m selfish but I feel much more relaxed behind the wheel. Is it just me or are there like minded companions out there?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don’t like your missus driving either.

She scares me
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

My wife is an excellent driver (IAM qualified too) and I’m a ‘bad passenger’ so that’s high praise! However when we are all in the car I do all the driving, she quite likes just chilling out in the passenger seat.

Unless there is a pub involved. Then I tend to remind her how good her driving is, and that sometimes I like to be a passenger! 🍻

I do pretty much all of the driving, not even sure why, just seems to work out that way. I do find it really boring being a passenger so would always choose to drive if it’s an option. Luckily my other half quite likes being chauffeured around so there are no arguments from her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I met Mrs Rod she has a few driving issues I ironed out, the worst was keeping her hand on the gear lever. She is now a much better driver and I have no qualms about letting her drive.
    I do all the long distance motorway driving though. 😉

Wife is a better driver than i Am. She prefers to do the long distance driving and I prefer the short journeys around time. So i tend to drive 90% of the time .

I do 99% of the driving if I can, I even put up with the nagging, I don’t like her driving style at all and can’t relax.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    I’m happy to let Mrs W do most of the driving thesedays, she has far more patience than me. I’m in a small minority of ageing males who accepts that he isn’t as good at it as he once was.

Craftsman
    She’s a better driver than me but refuses to drive 9/10. Which means I have to sit through lots of moaning.

I usually drive, unless we're going to a pub or restaurant then it's 50/50. I drive there, she drives back.

Depends whose car we take, she usually does shorter trips and I normally take the longer journeys, I feel comfortable in the passenger at least 80% of the time ;)

Master
    Our driving is 50/50 until such time as a map is needed, then its me in the driving seat as my orienteering skills are Sh""te

My wife drives 100% of the time for family trips; I get to sit back & relax and she has the big family car which is no fun to drive - win win

My wife has suffered from travel sickness since she was small which doesn’t happen if she’s behind the wheel. She does most of the driving, I can’t say as it bothers me that much as I don’t like driving that much anymore what with all the bellends on the road.

Craftsman
    My mrs doesn’t drive. Probably for the best, after hearing about the horrors of her driving lessons! I’ve tried to encourage her to relearn, so we can share the driving duties, but I actually enjoy driving, and knowing just how nervous a passenger she is, I would probably be petrified if she was in control of a 1 ton slab of metal going 70 miles per hour!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    My wife has suffered from travel sickness since she was small which doesn’t happen if she’s behind the wheel. She does most of the driving, I can’t say as it bothers me that much as I don’t like driving that much anymore what with all the bellends on the road.
    Good sentiment FFF but even myself, as a passenger, can't help but notice/comment/remonstrate at said bellends !! haha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    She’s a better driver than me but refuses to drive 9/10. Which means I have to sit through lots of moaning.
    Pretty much the same story here. I learned late in life, but now I do the majority of the driving. Either my wife has grown to admire my driving skills, or she prefers looking out the window and watching the miles roll by, I suspect it is the latter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When Mrs T-7 drives I'm acutely aware that oncoming drivers are having to scatter. My right foot is nearly going through the floorboards. She's oblivious to it. But she's sensitive when I point it out :-/

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Good sentiment FFF but even myself, as a passenger, can't help but notice/comment/remonstrate at said bellends !! haha
    True but I’m generally either asleep or have my head buried in the phone so I don’t get the full effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    When Mrs T-7 drives I'm acutely aware that oncoming drivers are having to scatter. My right foot is nearly going through the floorboards. She's oblivious to it. But she's sensitive when I point it out :-/
    Especially in that Defender

Craftsman
    I do nearly all the driving simply because I get really bad travel sickness as a passenger. I can take medication but that makes me really drowsy which is not ideal when I end up slumped towards the driver side! My wife is genuinely a good driver though but we both agree it is less painful for everyone if I just simply drive haha

Another "I drive unless it's home from a restaurant" here :)

If we’re going any distance I generally drive.

My wife is not too bad, but like many ladies is not great at parking as the state of her alloys shows.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I do most of the driving, particularly on long journeys, but that says more about me as a passenger than Mrs MCH as a driver.

In 'normal times' we drive to the Alps a couple of times a year (and we're 4+ hours from the channel tunnel) and will drive to either France or the Netherlands for summer holidays. We used to alternate the driving but the last two cars (Citroen C5 and VW Touareg) have been so comfy that I can drive a few hours, grab a coffee, stretch my legs and drive again. She's very happy to do a stint if I'm feeling tired (and she's a perfectly good driver) but other than that I'm happier driving and she's happier passengering.

I drive 100% of the time but my wife is the better driver, she tells me this constantly :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

Especially in that Defender
    She hasn’t dared to try it yet. Offered to let her drive back from a trip into Bath today but she declined. Probably for the best :-)

100% me here in the UK as she’s not confident driving “on the wrong side” (raised in Switzerland) or my large car, especially given that for me it’s “my precious” and for her it’s a mode of transportation. Although I halved my insurance by putting her on it :D

In Europe I’m happy for her to drive, better driver than me and relaxing not to drive. I usually co-drive mentally when others drive but not with her.

Mrs Draft is a better and keener driver than me.

I don’t have a great sense of direction - satnav helps of course - but don’t particularly like driving in unfamiliar places. I’ve spent most of my adult life driving on small islands which alleviates much of the above but has left me quite an unscientific driver, as anyone who has been to Malta will understand.

Hence I tend to do most of the driving around Malta and the Isle of Man but Mrs Draft (happily) does most of the driving around the UK.

I will take the wheel except when an afternoon visit to a hostelry or other such establishment whereupon the partakement of strong refreshment may have taken place rendering the control of a motorized vehicle to be contrary to any local laws.

.....and my nerves simply will not stand the continued progression of my motor carriage utilising a selection of gear ratio innapropriate to the prevailing road conditions (you`re on a motorway doing 70 - ffs woman, put it into top gear!)

She drives me mad. I drive everywhere else.

I’m more than happy for my wife to drive, when we lived in London she knew all the roads like a black cab driver and I think her ‘Italian job’ fearless driving style in her battered fiat panda was actually one of the things that attracted me to her if I’m honest!
    Nowadays living in the country I seem to do most of the driving if we’re both in the car, as I think she finds it a bit boring! - she refuses to drive an auto as ‘they’re for people who can’t drive’ - I have noticed I get a lot more miles out of a tank as she has a ‘spirited’ driving style. I think there are a lot of men who somehow feel emasculated being a passenger next to a woman, although few would admit it - I couldn’t care less, like I say I find my wife’s driving a bit sexy, we’ve been married 25 years this year so something must be working!

My wife hasn't driven since the accident.

My wife and I disagree on many things, but we generally have faith in each other's driving (well placed or not!).

On a long journey we generally split the driving.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    My wife can but she chooses not to. She finds it a stressful experience. Just other people on the road. Fine if they all behaved but they don't. I'm happy to do the driving and she doesn't comment on any poor driving by me.

Master
    We share it, I drive to a pub, she drives home!

We trust each other totally regardless of who drives, I may put a little more pace into the journey when appropriate - but neither of us are ever diving for the imaginary brake pedal.

Only time I have (and her father in the back too), was when she jumped from her small hatch into my brand new E60 530i, and she was driving in lanes like it was the same size.

My wife isn't too confident in the car since she was hit by a drunk driver. On long journeys we share but I'll do 60-70% of the drive. She's really good on the motorway so I top and tail it, she does the middle where you don't need to look at the nav.

However during everyday driving she's a liability and gives me real anxiety. She drives our car how I'd drive a rental.

We generally share, but there are some of my cars she wont drive (odd handbrake, heavy clutch, hard ride) If we are in her new defender she rarely lets me drive.

Master
    Travel sickness has also been a problem of mine since I was youngster and so I drive 100% of the time as it helps .

We never had a family car and used to go on coaches for days out.

If we were going to Bournemouth from Frome all bets were off whether I would make the Blandform Forum rest stop without a barf.

scooter

We have 100% equally shared the driving.

Zero hours each.

I do the driving. I bought a car for Ms O, but she won’t drive it on the open road lol - I’m arranging for her to have some advanced lessons when lockdown is over, and then hopefully she’ll drive again.
    It's just a matter of time...