closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DIY Chipped Car Glass Repair kits - any good?

Master

DIY Chipped Car Glass Repair kits - any good?

Took a small stone to the windscreen on the motorway - nearly jumped out of my skin with the noise but thankfully has only left a very small, superficial chip.

I’ve since noticed two teeny tiny chips on the (tinted) panoramic glass roof also; noted as tiny discolourations on the tint whilst filling up with petrol, so I’m not sure these will repair well.

I really don’t want to go down the insurance route - is there a way I can effectively deal with these myself?

Does anyone have experience of the DIY repair kits on Amazon etc?
    Last edited by ach5; 14th March 2021 at 13:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite a few insurance companies with cover the cost of repair without affecting NCD or - as far as I know - subsequent premium. If left unrepaired, it may spread into a full scale crack that requires a new windscreen. Worth checking your policy if you haven't so far?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    ^ I just don’t trust the insurer not to hike the premium, tbh

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Quite a few insurance companies with cover the cost of repair without affecting NCD or - as far as I know - subsequent premium. If left unrepaired, it may spread into a full scale crack that requires a new windscreen. Worth checking your policy if you haven't so far?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    My insurance company dealt with it. Online form then auto glass just showed up and did the business. Recently renewed policy and no difference in premium from what I can tell...it’s gone down a bit this year.

Master
    Will they repair several then?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Well on mine it required a windscreen replacement.

Maybe ... takes just a few minutes for each ... my screen was repaired 10 years ago and the 'wound' has not got worse ... hardly shows
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Repair or not depends on the area of the windscreen the damage is in and the type of damage. I had two small bullseye chips repaired about5 years ago and the repair is lasting well. About ten quid per chip excess I think. Didn't notice any changes in premium following this.

I also used one of the DIY glass repair kits to address a crack in a large mirror. I found it relatively easy, the glue just ran into and along the crack leaving it nearly invisible.

Master
    Cheers guys but for clarity, my OP was really intended to ask about DIY kits - are they any good?

I will edit it for clarity

I was skeptical before the mirror repair and surprised at how well the glue ran into and along the crack despite not being able to use the suction mounted injector widget due to the mirror frame. I watched a couple of professional chip and crack repair videos on youtube and there are some things I would not like to attempt, for example for cracks that could run the professionals either drill a tiny hole or produce a bullseye crack to terminate it before gluing! I used the rainX branded kit.

If I had a simple bullseye chip that was not in zone A I'd consider using a DIY kit but on the other hand, if the chip repair excess remains ~£10 then you are only saving a couple of quid?

Master
    It's easy to make the crack worse as you really need to impart pressure to open up the crack for the resin to go in properly. A pro will drill a hole at the ends to stop it spreading but I'd rather not take a drill to my windscreen.

Halfords offer a service for £40 which is worth a look. In "normal" times when you could find a windscreen repair company in the car park of a supermarket, they'd often sort it for a sensible amount in cash. Or plenty of mobile repairers that are typically no more than £40, I'd rather pay them than try a £10 kit and make it worse...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    It's easy to make the crack worse as you really need to impart pressure to open up the crack for the resin to go in properly. A pro will drill a hole at the ends to stop it spreading but I'd rather not take a drill to my windscreen.

Halfords offer a service for £40 which is worth a look. In "normal" times when you could find a windscreen repair company in the car park of a supermarket, they'd often sort it for a sensible amount in cash. Or plenty of mobile repairers that are typically no more than £40, I'd rather pay them than try a £10 kit and make it worse...
    That's great - thanks.

It's a *very* minor chip. Not even a 'bullseye'. In fact, you can only just feel it with the fingernail.

I didnt know such mobile repairers existed. I did a quick autoglass online quote and they wanted £220. If I can get it sorted for £40, I would. Otherwise I'll likely leave it alone - it really is so tiny and superficial. Hence me thinking I might be able to do something myself.

Master
    It’s just so easy to get it sorted through your insurance at your local screen place. I just dropped by my local auto windscreens depot last week after a similar experience and a small chip. He said it was unlikely to get worse but would sort it if I wanted. He rang their claims unit off his hand held thing and gave them my reg no. Within 2 minutes the work was authorised and he had it in the workshop, 10 mins later I was driving away. No charge.
    Insurers would rather pay the small amount for a repair than the cost of a new screen apparently

I had a small-ish chip in my windscreen, right in the centre, I think it was slightly bigger than the rain-x kit recommended you try, but I thought it was worth a go - that was 3 years ago, can't even spot where it might have been now.

Craftsman

DIY Chipped Car Glass Repair kits - any good?

Not sure why you’’re worried about going down the insurance route. It’s not a claim that needs to be declared, it won’t effect your NCB and your current insurer will unlikely impose any additional terms at renewal because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Does anyone have experience of the DIY repair kits on Amazon etc?
    if you choose to use one of theese kits, you will need to use them on a hot sunny day, or get a uv lamp. i had a 3mm ish bullseye chip, it did not hide it completely, but now you can just see a very small 1mm ish chip/mark. so they do work to a point, but not the same as a pro job.

The two I've had professionally done are still quite visible, depends as much on the type of damage I reckon.

Master
    Insurers would rather pay the small amount for a repair than the cost of a new screen apparently
    This.
    It's been this way for decades, probably since windscreen repair became possible.
    Always have it done by a professional and covered by your insurance..

Craftsman
    Yeah I got a small chip repaired premium did not go up by much and came down with a little haggling

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app