closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dornbluth 99.1-M

Master
    Blog Entries

Dornbluth 99.1-M

Would anyone happen to have this watch?

The 99.1 is one their most common watches. 42mm and 11.5mm thick.

The 99.1-M is basically the same watch and movement but in a 40mm case and 10mm high. Struggling to see how it looks on wrist or in any images to get a feel for the size difference. The 99.1 looks a little too industrial. I am hoping the subtle size difference makes a big difference.

Dornbluth 99.1-M

Ask Dornbluth? They seem pretty friendly and accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have an Archimede in this style, same size as the Dornbluth (42mm) except for one vital (for me) dimension - the lug width is 2mm less at 20mm and this makes the watch wearable for me on a wrist slightly larger than 7 inches. A 22mm strap would make the whole thing too large for me I think, and although the Archimede was bought to test the water for a possible Dornbluth purchase I've stayed with it due to this issue. I would hope the 40mm version has a 20mm lug width. These watches were originally used for quick and easy reading of the time, hence the large, uncluttered and very legible dials. Now then, Industrial . . .

Industrial

Dornbluth

;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Ask Dornbluth? They seem pretty friendly and accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    They are....But it takes weeks for a mail response at the moment.

Lead time of 10 months also...seems it’s not only Rolex that are in demand!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have an Archimede in this style, same size as the Dornbluth (42mm) except for one vital (for me) dimension - the lug width is 2mm less at 20mm and this makes the watch wearable for me on a wrist slightly larger than 7 inches. A 22mm strap would make the whole thing too large for me I think, and although the Archimede was bought to test the water for a possible Dornbluth purchase I've stayed with it due to this issue. I would hope the 40mm version has a 20mm lug width. These watches were originally used for quick and easy reading of the time, hence the large, uncluttered and very legible dials. Now then, Industrial . . .
    Industrial

Dornbluth

;-)
    Lol. I meant industrial from a case point of view more. The side profile of the cases often looks like a massive plain slab of steel! Hoping the size difference of the -M 10mm case makes a big difference there.

That caseback is the reason for purchase!

Dornbluth 99.1-M

10 months isn’t that unreasonable when you realise you are getting a bespoke watch pretty much hand made for you by a handful of actual watchmakers.

The care and attention to detail is second to none. Then they will send you photos of your watch being assembled and you can even visit in person for a tour and to pick up your watch (outside of pandemics of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    10 months isn’t that unreasonable when you realise you are getting a bespoke watch pretty much hand made for you by a handful of actual watchmakers.

The care and attention to detail is second to none. Then they will send you photos of your watch being assembled and you can even visit in person for a tour and to pick up your watch (outside of pandemics of course!)
    Dormblüth is one brand I've never owned that I really feel I need to get one day. Over the last few years, I've moved away from sports watches to more dressier watches, so maybe I'm getting closer to getting one. Those photos really sell it to me!

Craftsman
    After spending 6 months trying to decide on the 99.1 or the "m", I finally ordered the 99.1. Dornbluth were very helpful, and send some wrist shots of the 42mm, and it looked okay. Still not convinced, I bought the Mappin and Webb Campaign watch (40mm) as a test. It still a bit of a gamble, but I feel it was the right choice. I don't mind the wait, if anything, I think it adds to the anticipation and experience.. best of luck with the decision... If I can find the wrist shot they sent, I'll post it later..

I can't see prices on the Dornbluth webpage. Roughly what does a new 99.1 cost? I guess there will be VAT and import duty to pay now too?

Craftsman
    I'd love a Dornbluth but the larger case sizes always put me off as 36-38mm is my preferred these days.
    Glad they are offering more options in the smaller sizes but my favourite dial style still only seems to come in 42mm.

Having photos of the watch being built is a great touch, especially if it's for a landmark birthday or similar. Maybe one day!

Good luck with the purchase.

My 99.1 on my 7.25" wrist.

Each to their own of course, but I'm really glad I paid the extra for applied numerals vs a printed dial when I bought mine in 2010.

In certain light conditions the blued hands & numerals really pop

Last edited by andy tims; 13th March 2021 at 14:13.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I can't see prices on the Dornbluth webpage. Roughly what does a new 99.1 cost? I guess there will be VAT and import duty to pay now too?
    You can see from some of their linked dealers previously you had to contact to ask them.

I have had mine for a good few years and I don’t think there is much out there to compare with. A watch built to your specifications, a company that will send you updated photos of the build. I was considering getting a Glashuute Original as my next watch but even though the Dornbluth is a little more expensive I would rather pay a little more for a watch that was not mass produced and made for me.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see from some of their linked dealers previously you had to contact to ask them.

I have had mine for a good few years and I don’t think there is much out there to compare with. A watch built to your specifications, a company that will send you updated photos of the build. I was considering getting a Glashuute Original as my next watch but even though the Dornbluth is a little more expensive I would rather pay a little more for a watch that was not mass produced and made for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Not worried about the 10 month at all! Great to see in one way and adds to the thrill!

I love that version above. But it’s too close to my ALS in terms of design and i dislike the way the numerals are cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    After spending 6 months trying to decide on the 99.1 or the "m", I finally ordered the 99.1. Dornbluth were very helpful, and send some wrist shots of the 42mm, and it looked okay. Still not convinced, I bought the Mappin and Webb Campaign watch (40mm) as a test. It still a bit of a gamble, but I feel it was the right choice. I don't mind the wait, if anything, I think it adds to the anticipation and experience.. best of luck with the decision... If I can find the wrist shot they sent, I'll post it later..
    If you could get that image it would be great! I am very particular about size these days so any info in advance is an advantage.

Have you gotten your 99.1 yet?

In the 2019/20 pricelist Eur 4290, and 4490 for the 99.1-M (steel, printed dial, leather strap)

edit: that is incl. 19% VAT
    Last edited by Ax; 13th March 2021 at 15:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prices below ex vat

https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/P...0_Eng-exkl.pdf

Catalogue
    https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/D...Inhalt-min.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    I'd love a Dornbluth but the larger case sizes always put me off as 36-38mm is my preferred these days.
    Glad they are offering more options in the smaller sizes but my favourite dial style still only seems to come in 42mm.

Having photos of the watch being built is a great touch, especially if it's for a landmark birthday or similar. Maybe one day!

Good luck with the purchase.
    They have 38mm cases as well on their Quintas range. Prices increase sharply on these.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    My 99.1 on my 7.25" wrist.

Each to their own of course, but I'm really glad I paid the extra for applied numerals vs a printed dial when I bought mine in 2010.

]
    Stunning! Are the markers applied? It is it that they are engraved? The price list seems to show an option for engraving.

Thanks for the info Ax and 893bet.

Some superb pictures on this thread too.
    Last edited by Christian; 14th March 2021 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Stunning! Are the markers applied? It is it that they are engraved? The price list seems to show an option for engraving.
    Under extras, does the price list say €210 for "dial with appliques"...I'm assuming this is the charge for applied numbers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Under extras, does the price list say €210 for "dial with appliques"...I'm assuming this is the charge for applied numbers.
    That makes sense!

Catalogue is hard enough to follow. A bit disjointed.

I am tending towards a 99.1-M with blue printed dial and blue numerals and hands similar to the one posted on this thread or else an engraved dial with black numerals and blue hands.

Engraved dial I think adds around 1k. Dial depth always sets a watch apart.

Craftsman
    They have 38mm cases as well on their Quintas range. Prices increase sharply on these.
    Yeah I've seen those but they don't seem to do them in all dial types and my favs aren't offered in them.

There was a very tempting Dorn on SC not long ago. Not sure if it sold.

Very classy watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Toying with the below.....a big departure from the standard silver dial with blued hands

Toying with the below.....a big departure from the standard silver dial with blued hands

Now that is very nice, my next Dornbluth was going to be a centre seconds white dial blue applied numerals but that blue is lovely.

Not gonna lie, they are exceptional looking timepieces. Not my style though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Not sure how, but it works. It works very well.

as long as they don't go down the blue fume road...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Edging towards the below now....

- - - Updated - - -

But with the single subdial at 6 o clock. Can’t handle the cut away numerals on that version.

Not sure about the white dials. Looks almost sporty.

Still lovely mind you.

I’m sorely tempted ... either a 99.2 (possibly M) or a Regulator ... my only concern with the M models is the proportions don’t look quite so elegant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    @xanx empty your inbox

Master
    Blog Entries
    So I received from DDS a few cases in the post to try for size. Consider that service beside another watch manufacturer.....!

A 99.1-M 40mm x 10mm

And a Quintas 38.5mm x 10mm (this is the in-house calibre case).

The Quintas in reality a little thicker. Probably 10.5-11mm but it’s declared as 10mm funny enough.

The 40mm feels better balanced overall!

I have my design picked out. Just need to decide if I want to invest in one.

Craftsman
    What design you going with then? Whats the current wait time from Dornbluth?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    What design you going with then? Whats the current wait time from Dornbluth?
    Ceramic blue dial engraved in white with polished metal hands. And silver white subdial, engraved in blue with blue hand. Something similar to the image a few posts down (minus the applied numbers and extra dial). On a dusty grey strap.

8-10 months was what was mentioned.

Ceramic blue dial engraved in white with polished metal hands. And silver white subdial, engraved in blue with blue hand. Something similar to the image a few posts down (minus the applied numbers and extra dial). On a dusty grey strap.

8-10 months was what was mentioned.
    Do iiiiiiit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Do iiiiiiit.
    Button pressed!

Got to wait 8-10 months now unless I want to buy a few more pieces then they can speed it up.

Really is amazing service to send you 2 case to check before you buy. Look forward to the pictures in 8-10 months.

Button pressed!

Got to wait 8-10 months now unless I want to buy a few more pieces then they can speed it up.
    Order three, send two back.

I can see myself ordering one for my 50th. They are a bit special.

Master

Which steel does Dornblüth use?

These watches look terrific and they are a damn sight more special than, for example, Rolex.

What steel does Dornblüth use? They say their steel is nickel-free. However, it looks like regular steel. And it’s beautiful polished or brushed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    These watches look terrific and they are a damn sight more special than, for example, Rolex.

What steel does Dornblüth use? They say their steel is nickel-free. However, it looks like regular steel. And it’s beautiful polished or brushed.
    Can’t answer on the steel but it’s a predicted 11 month wait now I have placed the order deposit! Hopefully its worth it!

Journeyman
    Sending the cases out is great service and I’m so glad to know it’s something they do as I’d planned to ask if they could do it when my time comes to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading the Patek finishing thread, I feel the likes of Dornbluth need more attention for at least making the effort.

It's a corny marketing line 'made with love', but there has to be something in it with watches.