closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sense of smell after covid.

Sense of smell after covid.

I guess this really goes out to all of those that have recovered from covid but have you noticed that even after quite some time your sense of smell has altered. I had covid back in Late October early November and I totally lost smell and taste for around a month. Eventually things slowly started returning to normal but I’m left with the weirdest smell which I’m smelling all the time.
    If I had to describe it I’d say it was an almost burnt smell or perhaps the smell petrol leaves once it’s evaporated. I had a dirty burger this evening from the local kebab shop and it’s on my hands. I also smell it in wine, toothpaste, Mayo and ketchup, sandwich ham and even water.
    I guess I’m either learning to smell stuff again or my senses have been somewhat destroyed by the virus?
    Anyone else noticing a rancid small after covid?

I tested positive on the 18th of Feb. First thing to change was my smell and taste. Hard to describe the smell I had, it was certainly not pleasant almost chemical like. That has gone in the last 7 days and my sense of smell has started to return. Still not fully there however.

Gav

Master
    I tested positive in January but never had the taste or smell issue. The symptoms seem very varied.

I had COVID beginning of the year. Fully lost smell and certain things had no taste or tasted completely different. I was nearly back to normal 2 weeks later and after 4 weeks i would say had most of it back.

I would say that I feel like my sense of taste isn’t able to pick up all flavours it once did and I now have a higher tolerance to spice.

Hopefully I will get it back one day.

Ross

Craftsman
    Took me about a month to get taste back but smell still isn’t right - I can now smell but nowhere near as well as I used to

Yeah, had weird smell for 2 month after Covid. Didn't even need a stimulus, just sitting there watching telly, and suddenly I'd have the weird smell thing.

I didn't lose my sense of smell but found that coffee (which I drank inordinate amounts of) smelled and tasted disgusting. I could smell a cup of coffee in a different room it was so bad.

11 weeks on, it's back to normal and I can enjoy a cup once again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A distorted sense of smell is called parosmia - here are a couple of articles:

https://news.sky.com/story/long-covi...lphur-12173389

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...10/covid-smell

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Yeah, had weird smell for 2 month after Covid. Didn't even need a stimulus, just sitting there watching telly, and suddenly I'd have the weird smell thing.

We get that sometimes, but it’s usually the dog. 😉

I’ve not had it, but a colleague who has said she could smell something akin to an old battery that’s leaked.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    We get that sometimes, but it’s usually the dog. 😉

I’ve not had it, but a colleague who has said she could smell something akin to an old battery that’s leaked.
    It's also strange that no one can accurately describe the smell; but it's always slightly unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I didn't lose my sense of smell but found that coffee (which I drank inordinate amounts of) smelled and tasted disgusting. I could smell a cup of coffee in a different room it was so bad.

It was coffee for me too - We've discussed this on another Covid thread. There genuinely are no words for how utterly disgusting it tasted and it wasn't like any other bad taste or smell I've ever known. Some food was bad too - that tasted like burnt saucepan handle.
    Food taste came back to normal quite quickly. Coffee then came back to 'not disgusting but not like it was'. Then within a couple of weeks coffee tasted fine again.

Fortunately I've not been left with any long term taste/smell issues.

Anosmia article which includes potential remedy https://www.theguardian.com/science/...l-centre-stage
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Had Covid in December...sense of smell probably at 50% of what it was before getting the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

this was same as myself no loss of smell and coffee was vile..now returning back to normal

My daughter (late twenties) completely lost her sense of smell a couple of months back but the reason for posting is that about 6 weeks ago I’d be sitting quietly in the lounge and started to smell a trace of smoke. Believe me I searched high and low, pulling out furniture, checking wall sockets for heat, plugs, everything. It was very unsettling because I couldn’t believe something wasn’t smouldering somewhere.

This was repeated over about a three week window then started to decline.

Interesting because of the number of references to smelling phantom smoke. I don’t think I have had COVID incidentally.

^^^The smoke thing I've had for decades, and yes it is unsettling. I still have to scrabble around looking for likely sources of ignition just in case this is the one time it's not a phantom odour, mercifully the frequency has lessened to 3 or 4 times a year in recent years.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 15th March 2021 at 13:03. Reason: Typo!

A friend of ours (probably) had covid in early March 2020. She still can’t smell or taste anything a year later.

I tested positive on the 22nd February. Had what I would describe as a really bad taste in my mouth that is only just starting to return back to normal. Energy levels however are no where near what they use to be at the moment.

Master
    I had Covid over Xmas. Was completely fine and have had worse colds. But I did have a week to 10 days of having a faint smoke smell maybe 6 weeks later. Like others say above you think something is burning somewhere. Then without really noticing it was gone again.

I had Covid at the end of September. My sense of smell was never good but now am insensitive to many smells (helps when taking the dog for a walk or sitting watching football with my teenage son) but have a revolting smell (and taste) from coffee, fried onions, petrol, cigarette smoke, my own pee, and probably a lot of other sources. It kicked in about 3 months after I'd recovered from Covid and it seems to be getting progressively worse. Best article I've found to describe it is here (hope the link works for you):

https://emea01.safelinks.protection....amp;reserved=0

Sadly doesn't seem to be a way of fixing it back to where it was. Takes a bit of fun out of eating which, it turns out, is a surprisingly fundamental part of life!

Craftsman
    Positive in October last year, and I still haven't got my sense of smell back to what it was like. I think my taste buds are back though, thankfully!