closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Traffic Police M62 1979

Traffic Police M62 1979

If anyone has an hour to while away, have a watch of this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvw9DNQWymo&t=946s

Quite eye opening how the emergency services got things done prior to the advent of stringent heath and safety regulations. As one commentator put it "Biblical weather, mischievous horses and crap drivers are no match for blunt northern coppers with epic facial hair and the mighty Range Rover."
    Last edited by kungfupanda; 12th March 2021 at 12:59.

Blog Entries
    Excellent share, ta.

Pitch

Brilliant, that takes me back to my days on RT. Always remember dealing with a crash in the middle of a dual carriageway with cars and wagons thundering past. But that's what it was like... hair raising😁

Master
    I regularly recovered vehicles from that stretch of motorway. Frozen daft and putting my hand into the exhaust stream to thaw my fingers out! One day I was the last vehicle off the motorway going down into Rochdale as my vehicle was so slow up the hill, after they had closed that stretch. The copper that saw me moving cones to exit the slip road said "Where the bl**dy hell did you come from?" :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Refreshing lack of risk assessments. Those were the days :-)

Grand Master
    Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed watching and seeing the old cars brought back memories.

M62 in snow isn’t a nice place to be. 1978/79 was a harsh winter, the worst I can remember, I drove a Triumph Spitfire in those days and it wasn’t ideal transport in winter. Only got stuck in snow once and that was my own stupid fault.

Master
    I was on “Traffic” from ‘82. What a job. We really were the “shiny arsed brigade” did what we wanted in what were some if the best cars in their day. Proper job

What a great watch, almost felt like it was a different world back then. The way the police were moving on foot between the lanes and clearing debris whilst the traffic was still flowing I also loved the advice that breathing apparatus should be used and the look on the fireman.

I’m sure I saw Nicolas Lyndhurst and Mel Smith in there?

Also, lusted after it when I was young and for such a simple car design the Ford Granada still looks fab.

They were in Morris Minors when I was young. I often think that they should have kept them. With good tactics you don't need fast cars, and doughnuts stay fresh for 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What a great watch, almost felt like it was a different world back then. The way the police were moving on foot between the lanes and clearing debris whilst the traffic was still flowing I also loved the advice that breathing apparatus should be used and the look on the fireman.

I’m sure I saw Nicolas Lyndhurst and Mel Smith in there?

Also, lusted after it when I was young and for such a simple car design the Ford Granada still looks fab.
    I had a 2.8 Ghia auto from my dad it was amazing, slightest bit of rain and the back wheels just span every time you accelerated :)

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I had a 2.8 Ghia auto from my dad it was amazing, slightest bit of rain and the back wheels just span every time you accelerated :)
    That was the abiding memory of mine, I got quite good at controlled slides in it!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    If anyone has an hour to while away, have a watch of this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvw9DNQWymo&t=946s

Quite eye opening how the emergency services got things done prior to the advent of stringent heath and safety regulations. As one commentator put it "Biblical weather, mischievous horses and crap drivers are no match for blunt northern coppers with epic facial hair and the mighty Range Rover."

The police have now truly gone insane. Police brutality is a fairly common issue in our nation today. Even the man who made him happen, George Floyd, deserves to be remembered. It has sparked and aggravated a lot of public outrage. I can speak for myself when I say that the article on this subject at https://studydriver.com/police-brutality/ was written very well. I'm overjoyed that I came across this information, if only to learn what other people think. These essays are definitely worth reading.
    There is nothing unusual here, just our standard reality.
    Last edited by bobocat; 6th December 2022 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I was on “Traffic” from ‘82. What a job. We really were the “shiny arsed brigade” did what we wanted in what were some if the best cars in their day. Proper job
    Great! It was Cortina GT's with us😃

Master
    And the clip showing the last time someone was actually pulled over for driving in lane 2 for no reason!

Craftsman
    The ambulance hitting the Police Granada! eek!

Blog Entries
    Here on the Continent, the 78/79 winter was indeed Biblical. It started on Dec 30th and with some thaw periods in between, it lasted until March. Snow dunes, black ice. Roads closed. We lived on the outskirts of a village back then. We had a snow dune up halfway the living room window! My dad's Ford Taunus (Cortina in the UK) wasn't up to the job; rear wheel drive etc. The roads were cleared by contractors with JCB's and these men were not very careful.

My grandfather passed away that winter and when he was buried they needed a full-size digger to open the ground of the cemetery. I remember my mom and dad clearing out my grandfather's house. When they wanted to return home, it started raining: black ice. My father was considering his options to drive the 200 kms home, but before he'd come up with a plan, a motorist swirled into my father's Ford, damaging it so badly that my parents had to stay in a hotel that night!

Nowadays, 2 of my cars are 4x4s and on winter tyres. It makes you wonder if that's not too much.

In the late 1970's or early 1980's, the Police station at keswick had a Mini Cooper S traffic car parked up outside.
    They were antique cars at the time, but I realise now why they had them in the fleet. Perfect for the country roads, and good in snow with rally tyres or winter treads.
    Last edited by Reeny; 6th December 2022 at 00:28.

Journeyman
    Best hour or so I've spent for a long time. Brought back a lot of memories of working on bleak snow-covered roads.

Master
    Superb video. When coppers were 'kin propa guv. Get the job done, keep the traffic moving, kick out the window and rescue the driver, carry the woman to the cop car, lovely old job.

A far cry from the sham that is the "police" force these days. Bunch of scaredy cats and wusses. Pitiful in comparison.

Great find.

Now, I feel like watching Life On Mars.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 10th December 2022 at 20:02.