closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex GMT II dilemma

Threaded View

Rolex GMT II dilemma

I've had my 16710 GMT II for the best part of 20 years. In that time it has been easily my most worn watch. We've been aboard together too many times to count and I've loved it as a tool as well as great design. I'd always assumed that I'd enjoy it until the day I died.

Since it came back from it's Rolex service in February last year I've not worn it at all. I know these are unusual times but, I've still worn my Explorer most days and I'm wondering if this might be an early sign of the time to let the GMT II go?

At the back of my mind is the fact that a couple of people approached me in the year before last asking me to confirm what they thought it was and saying how much they liked it. One was a waiter in a restaurant the other was walking past me in the street. I'm nearing 60 and I'm guessing that the implications of having something so noticeable and clearly valuable on display on my wrist might be part of my reluctance to wear it.

Anyone else having had this sort of problem with a loved watch, and solved it without selling it? When I bought it it was nice but not especially valuable, I'd hate to think of it sitting at home in its box when I next go abroad.

Please don't take this as an invitation to make offers for it, I'm a long way from a decision on its future. That said the 2 year service warranty has just under a year to run, I'm guessing that a current warranty would enhance its value if I did sell and thus puts some time pressure on me?
    Last edited by raysablade; 11th March 2021 at 21:47.