closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex GMT II dilemma

Master
    This really saddens me, you have a lovely watch, that's appreciated in value so much you are fearful to wear it. What a sorry state of affairs that something that should be a joy is now a risk.
    Good luck with your sale.

Journeyman
    That news is extremely sad, but unfortunately that’s the way it is in London at the moment. I wore my stainless sub to work in London every day for 10 years or so (in fact I used to wear it doing DIY and all sorts) but I think twice these days. I hardly ever wear it to work and just wear more of a beater. It’s insured, that’s not the issue but I’d rather not be on the end of a good kicking, or worse for it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A wise decision to sell imho. I wore a Rolex for years in central London day in, day out and never gave it a second thought. I wouldn’t want to wear one In the same situation now - or even in a pub in sleepy Norfolk. Sadly they are now a muggers target which imho makes them a bit of a liability. You can’t buy good health (and if I’m honest with myself I’m the sort of bloke who’d lose my rag with a mugger and probably get stabbed or worse rather than just shrugging and handing it over) - not a fashionable thing to say on this forum I know, but it’s the downside of the price explosion for those of us who just bought them as watches for a couple of grand 15-20 years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it genuinely that dangerous these days, even in Norfolk!?!

I left UK six years ago. Worked in London, went out a lot all across town: from fancy places to ‘the Russian bar’ in a basement in Dalston. Lived in St. Albans.

Never once felt that I shouldn’t be wearing my Rolex (GMT II).

Live in Bali now and again, wear what you like….mainly as locals wouldn’t know an Omega from a Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A wise decision to sell imho. I wore a Rolex for years in central London day in, day out and never gave it a second thought. I wouldn’t want to wear one In the same situation now - or even in a pub in sleepy Norfolk. Sadly they are now a muggers target which imho makes them a bit of a liability. You can’t buy good health (and if I’m honest with myself I’m the sort of bloke who’d lose my rag with a mugger and probably get stabbed or worse rather than just shrugging and handing it over) - not a fashionable thing to say on this forum I know, but it’s the downside of the price explosion for those of us who just bought them as watches for a couple of grand 15-20 years ago!

I am similar to you, I would lose my rag too, but controlling the situation. I was mugged many moons ago for my wallet by some youths. I took my wallet out of my pocket on being threatened. Looked at the gobbiest and said here pushing it to his chest. As he grabbed the wallet he dropped to the floor. I’d kicked him as hard as I could the others legged it. Retrieved wallet and carried onto the fish n chip shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    Is it genuinely that dangerous these days, even in Norfolk!?!

I left UK six years ago. Worked in London, went out a lot all across town: from fancy places to ‘the Russian bar’ in a basement in Dalston. Lived in St. Albans.

Never once felt that I shouldn’t be wearing my Rolex (GMT II).

Live in Bali now and again, wear what you like….mainly as locals wouldn’t know an Omega from a Casio.
    I don’t think it’s really that it’s become dangerous, it’s more the value of the watch. The temptation to steal something pocketable that costs as much as a decent car is what worries me. Everyone knows a Rolex is now crazily expensive and sadly that attracts the wrong attention. If you think like a mugger for a moment it’s an easy target. In the past I was happy to wander about with a watch I’d bought for £2k on my wrist, what’s a new Submariner now? or a decent older model? Rather too much imho. I should add I’m rather ‘over’ expensive watches now, but frankly this is a factor which effectively discourages me from wanting another.

Craftsman
    I used to be proud of both my GMT and other SS models, and whilst I still am I just feel different about wearing something that is 5 figures on my arm and so many stories of muggings . And that's living in Cambridge which is a ' safe ' place.
    I now wear then way way less to the point of not at all in the summer when short sleeves are in order.

Sad.

Master
    Do you wear a watch, or does it wear you? Don’t be dictated to by a mere watch.
    As this is public, il explain.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th July 2021 at 10:24.

If you can’t wear your watches where you live, work or go for recreation- you need to reconsider your choices.

Master
    I’ve just noticed that my new Rolex is equipped with a microchip. From the factory. Quite subtle really. Never seen it before, but has to be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I’ve just noticed that my new Rolex is equipped with a microchip. From the factory. Quite subtle really. Never seen it before, but has to be a good idea.
    ??

Master
    My new watch had a small plastic patch , Dotted with a series of microchips, secured in a quiet way. The dealer left them on the side of the case. But it will peel off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a QR code sticker. Its for stock management.

Master
    Jesus

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Jesus
    Indeed

My new watch had a small plastic patch , Dotted with a series of microchips, secured in a quiet way. The dealer left them on the side of the case. But it will peel off.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Maybe it’s a whole new game…..green tab, cards, box…..microchipped. Imagine that…..your new watch is marked as ‘stock control’.
    But as long as you have a receipt, who cares. It’s yours.
    Btw: what will ‘grey’ dealers make of stickers checking stock control? Is this a whole new game? Mine came direct from Rolex. Wonder how much info is listed.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th July 2021 at 16:06.

Maybe it’s a whole new game…..green tab, cards, box…..microchipped. Imagine that…..your new watch is marked as ‘stock control’.
    But as long as you have a receipt, who cares. It’s yours.
    Not quite there yet but that is a future Rolex strategy.
    Each watch will come with an installed microchip and when someone buys a new Rolex, the buyer will be injected with another micro chip that is ‘paired’ with the one in the watch. Anytime these two chips are separated by a distance greater than 100 yards, there will be a signal sent to Rolex central command and a potential flipper will be identified and chased down by Rolex swat team. After two years, they will automatically deactivate.

Master
    We sometimes like a nice bit of paranoia to stoke. These microchips peel off, so you could stick them in the wrong stock. Confusion, betrayal, instant history. And to think, it was once all peace and quiet. I threw my patch in the bin. Rebel, Rebel.

Master
    We sometimes like a nice bit of paranoia to stoke. These microchips peel off, so you could stick them in the wrong stock. Confusion, betrayal, instant history. And to think, it was once all peace and quiet. I threw my patch in the bin. Rebel, Rebel.
    Another hacked account or sunstroke? Genuine concern.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Another hacked account or sunstroke? Genuine concern.
    Rolex have numbers all over their carefully regulated production. I don’t see it as a genuine issue. Which is why I took the sticker off and threw it away, mind you, I’m still peeling plastic from the bracelet.

The North West already has its very own Rolex SWAT team

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The North West already has its very own Rolex SWAT team
    So, an armful of ‘explorers’?