closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: Rolex GMT II dilemma

  1. #51
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    1,702
    This really saddens me, you have a lovely watch, that's appreciated in value so much you are fearful to wear it. What a sorry state of affairs that something that should be a joy is now a risk.
    Good luck with your sale.

  2. #52
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    111
    That news is extremely sad, but unfortunately thatís the way it is in London at the moment. I wore my stainless sub to work in London every day for 10 years or so (in fact I used to wear it doing DIY and all sorts) but I think twice these days. I hardly ever wear it to work and just wear more of a beater. Itís insured, thatís not the issue but Iíd rather not be on the end of a good kicking, or worse for it.

  3. #53
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    herts
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A wise decision to sell imho. I wore a Rolex for years in central London day in, day out and never gave it a second thought. I wouldnít want to wear one In the same situation now - or even in a pub in sleepy Norfolk. Sadly they are now a muggers target which imho makes them a bit of a liability. You canít buy good health (and if Iím honest with myself Iím the sort of bloke whoíd lose my rag with a mugger and probably get stabbed or worse rather than just shrugging and handing it over) - not a fashionable thing to say on this forum I know, but itís the downside of the price explosion for those of us who just bought them as watches for a couple of grand 15-20 years ago!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it genuinely that dangerous these days, even in Norfolk!?!

    I left UK six years ago. Worked in London, went out a lot all across town: from fancy places to Ďthe Russian barí in a basement in Dalston. Lived in St. Albans.

    Never once felt that I shouldnít be wearing my Rolex (GMT II).

    Live in Bali now and again, wear what you likeÖ.mainly as locals wouldnít know an Omega from a Casio.

  4. #54
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A wise decision to sell imho. I wore a Rolex for years in central London day in, day out and never gave it a second thought. I wouldnít want to wear one In the same situation now - or even in a pub in sleepy Norfolk. Sadly they are now a muggers target which imho makes them a bit of a liability. You canít buy good health (and if Iím honest with myself Iím the sort of bloke whoíd lose my rag with a mugger and probably get stabbed or worse rather than just shrugging and handing it over) - not a fashionable thing to say on this forum I know, but itís the downside of the price explosion for those of us who just bought them as watches for a couple of grand 15-20 years ago!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am similar to you, I would lose my rag too, but controlling the situation. I was mugged many moons ago for my wallet by some youths. I took my wallet out of my pocket on being threatened. Looked at the gobbiest and said here pushing it to his chest. As he grabbed the wallet he dropped to the floor. Iíd kicked him as hard as I could the others legged it. Retrieved wallet and carried onto the fish n chip shop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    Is it genuinely that dangerous these days, even in Norfolk!?!

    I left UK six years ago. Worked in London, went out a lot all across town: from fancy places to Ďthe Russian barí in a basement in Dalston. Lived in St. Albans.

    Never once felt that I shouldnít be wearing my Rolex (GMT II).

    Live in Bali now and again, wear what you likeÖ.mainly as locals wouldnít know an Omega from a Casio.
    I donít think itís really that itís become dangerous, itís more the value of the watch. The temptation to steal something pocketable that costs as much as a decent car is what worries me. Everyone knows a Rolex is now crazily expensive and sadly that attracts the wrong attention. If you think like a mugger for a moment itís an easy target. In the past I was happy to wander about with a watch Iíd bought for £2k on my wrist, whatís a new Submariner now? or a decent older model? Rather too much imho. I should add Iím rather Ďoverí expensive watches now, but frankly this is a factor which effectively discourages me from wanting another.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #56
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    169
    I used to be proud of both my GMT and other SS models, and whilst I still am I just feel different about wearing something that is 5 figures on my arm and so many stories of muggings . And that's living in Cambridge which is a ' safe ' place.
    I now wear then way way less to the point of not at all in the summer when short sleeves are in order.

    Sad.

  7. #57
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Do you wear a watch, or does it wear you? Don’t be dictated to by a mere watch.
    As this is public, il explain.
    Last edited by paskinner; Today at 10:24.

  8. #58
    If you canít wear your watches where you live, work or go for recreation- you need to reconsider your choices.

  9. #59
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Iíve just noticed that my new Rolex is equipped with a microchip. From the factory. Quite subtle really. Never seen it before, but has to be a good idea.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Iíve just noticed that my new Rolex is equipped with a microchip. From the factory. Quite subtle really. Never seen it before, but has to be a good idea.
    ??

  11. #61
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    My new watch had a small plastic patch , Dotted with a series of microchips, secured in a quiet way. The dealer left them on the side of the case. But it will peel off.

  12. #62
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,339
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Iíve just noticed that my new Rolex is equipped with a microchip. From the factory. Quite subtle really. Never seen it before, but has to be a good idea.
    Thats a QR code sticker. Its for stock management.

  13. #63
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,972
    Jesus

  14. #64
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Jesus
    Indeed

  15. #65
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,753
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    My new watch had a small plastic patch , Dotted with a series of microchips, secured in a quiet way. The dealer left them on the side of the case. But it will peel off.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  16. #66
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Maybe it’s a whole new game…..green tab, cards, box…..microchipped. Imagine that…..your new watch is marked as ‘stock control’.
    But as long as you have a receipt, who cares. It’s yours.
    Btw: what will ‘grey’ dealers make of stickers checking stock control? Is this a whole new game? Mine came direct from Rolex. Wonder how much info is listed.
    Last edited by paskinner; Today at 16:06.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Maybe itís a whole new gameÖ..green tab, cards, boxÖ..microchipped. Imagine thatÖ..your new watch is marked as Ďstock controlí.
    But as long as you have a receipt, who cares. Itís yours.
    Not quite there yet but that is a future Rolex strategy.
    Each watch will come with an installed microchip and when someone buys a new Rolex, the buyer will be injected with another micro chip that is Ďpairedí with the one in the watch. Anytime these two chips are separated by a distance greater than 100 yards, there will be a signal sent to Rolex central command and a potential flipper will be identified and chased down by Rolex swat team. After two years, they will automatically deactivate.

  18. #68
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    We sometimes like a nice bit of paranoia to stoke. These microchips peel off, so you could stick them in the wrong stock. Confusion, betrayal, instant history. And to think, it was once all peace and quiet. I threw my patch in the bin. Rebel, Rebel.

  19. #69
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    We sometimes like a nice bit of paranoia to stoke. These microchips peel off, so you could stick them in the wrong stock. Confusion, betrayal, instant history. And to think, it was once all peace and quiet. I threw my patch in the bin. Rebel, Rebel.
    Another hacked account or sunstroke? Genuine concern.

  20. #70
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Another hacked account or sunstroke? Genuine concern.
    Rolex have numbers all over their carefully regulated production. I donít see it as a genuine issue. Which is why I took the sticker off and threw it away, mind you, Iím still peeling plastic from the bracelet.

  21. #71
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    12,885
    The North West already has its very own Rolex SWAT team

  22. #72
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The North West already has its very own Rolex SWAT team
    So, an armful of Ďexplorersí?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information