closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21st watch for our Son

Journeyman

21st watch for our Son

First six months of this year. My 60th , Sons 21st, Daughters 18th All in lockdown.

Our son has asked for aftershave for his 21st, bless him , and obviusoly I think we should treat him to a nice watch. He fancies a Rolex, which will not be happening for a number of reasons. Cost , Security, thin wrists etc.

Tag are on the horizon but is there a particular tag we should be looking at that is timeless but suits a young man. His friend bought one a few weeks back and went for a limited edition, Id prefer him to have one that doesnt age, but is that Tag?

If not Tag any other recommendations about the £1500 bracket. He quite likes my longines hydroconquest and if we dont buy him anything I plan to give him that, but Id like him to experince walking in an AD's and watching his dad spend over the odds on a keepsake for him.

His Sister has put an early claim on my Speedie for her 21st, although Im not sure its a ladies watch.

All advice gratefully received

If he likes Tag I don’t think you can go wrong, plenty of choice and personally I think it’s a great introduction to nice watches.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm not a huge TAG fan, but I really like this and it's the right budget and quite cool for a young lad
    https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01135...IaAkDDEALw_wcB

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How small is his wrist?
    Able to take up to 42mm or better in the 36/38 range?

I think the standard tag aqua racer is quite timeless, and is in 41mm (vs usual 43) here - https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...13.BA0928.html

But perhaps a 36mm longines legend diver if his wrists are very slim?

There’s a good range of watches around that level if Tag isn’t chosen. Oris divers 65 / aquis / big crown, Junghans Max Bill, multiple Longines, Nomos etc. are all great alternatives if they suit your son’s lifestyle and your budget.

You don’t say whether it’s an intended surprise or not. I’d lean towards reviewing a few websites filtered to criteria with him to narrow the choice then select an AD to visit (remember doing that) to try the shortlist, rather than spring a surprise visit and purchase on the spot.

Either way good luck and nice gift.

Sinn 556?

Choice of dial, choice of leather strap or 2 bracelets. Red second hand option.

Small, tough, timeless

Craftsman
    Sinn 104, the perfect one watch collection
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQLGt0A6jg

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by PCP View Post
    There’s a good range of watches around that level if Tag isn’t chosen. Oris divers 65 / aquis / big crown, Junghans Max Bill, multiple Longines, Nomos etc. are all great alternatives if they suit your son’s lifestyle and your budget.

You don’t say whether it’s an intended surprise or not. I’d lean towards reviewing a few websites filtered to criteria with him to narrow the choice then select an AD to visit (remember doing that) to try the shortlist, rather than spring a surprise visit and purchase on the spot.

Either way good luck and nice gift.
    I will be taking him into the AD to try a few on I d like it to be special for him. The Oris Calibre 400 looks stunning but a bit pricey at £2700. Too much to be wearing in some of the dives he goes into as a student
    Last edited by Watching brief; 11th March 2021 at 12:25.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Sinn 104, the perfect one watch collection
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQLGt0A6jg
    Ive never been a fan of the Sinn styling and Id imagine it will have to be a name he is familiar with.

It's down to personal taste but how about this:

https://www.berrysjewellers.co.uk/wa...oaAtW5EALw_wcB

Minimalist styling, just 38mm, display back, German engineering and well within budget and a discount. It's a winner!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

Minimalist styling, just 38mm, display back, German engineering and well within budget and a discount. It's a winner!
    Ive got one of them on my list for me. I agree.

Master
    Assuming he’s a typical 21 year old, then having a watch with a ‘name’ would, I suspect, be something he’d want; so Tag, Omega etc.

I suspect suggestions like Sinn & Nomos are more likely to appeal to WIS types than a typical 21 year old lad.

I think a good TAG would look great and be bombproof, and will have that little bit of cachet with his pals.

I was just going to suggest a Nomos too, possibly a Tangente or Orion though

Master
    I have to agree that I think surely Tag would be the way to go for someone that age. The Aquaracer is still available in 39mm too.

Craftsman
    I would have thought a Longines Legend Diver is the answer. A brand he's heard of, timeless design, looks good on a bunch of different straps, and if the 42mm is too big he can get a 36mm. Or a 39mm hydroconquest since he already likes yours.

Boring I know, but I would let you son choose. My dad bought me an expensive watch (Maurice Lacroix) at that age - I wore it, but I never liked it. [It was subsequently stolen off my office desk, when I left it there by accident one night under a pile of office papers.]

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Boring I know, but I would let you son choose. My dad bought me an expensive watch (Maurice Lacroix) at that age - I wore it, but I never liked it. [It was subsequently stolen off my office desk, when I left it there by accident one night under a pile of office papers.]
    +1
    Just name the budget and let him choose.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Assuming he’s a typical 21 year old, then having a watch with a ‘name’ would, I suspect, be something he’d want; so Tag, Omega etc.

I suspect suggestions like Sinn & Nomos are more likely to appeal to WIS types than a typical 21 year old lad.

I think a good TAG would look great and be bombproof, and will have that little bit of cachet with his pals.
    I must admit thats the way Im starting to see it. I let him try a few on and he can have whatever he wants. Within budget of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    +1
    Just name the budget and let him choose.

Journeyman
    My Dad bought me my Rolex but I was forty at the time. Id have been happy and in fact was happy with a timex at 21.

Journeyman
    Ouch... But point taken and lesson learnt...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

A Tudor 1926 39mm would be just inside of budget. Its dressy on the bracelet but would look good on leather too. It's still got 100m water resistance and better quality than a tag.

Craftsman
    Yep, I'd shown him the Sinn 556i and ask him to choose what he wants if that doesn't suit.

This can be dressed up and down and wouldn't be an issue if it was scratched or damaged.

In an ideal world I would suggest the Rolex 114270. A truly a one watch collection IMHO.

Have you considered a Speedmaster reduced as an option.

Seems the answer is Tag if that’s what he likes. I have a beat up quartz Aquaracer and I enjoy it.

But I’d also echo others in suggesting a look at Nomos. Their Club range is versatile, slim, well made and you get 100m WR. A good watch for the workplace if he’ll be in an office setting. The name recognition might not be there though.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    A Tudor 1926 39mm would be just inside of budget. Its dressy on the bracelet but would look good on leather too. It's still got 100m water resistance and better quality than a tag.
    Another good shout, I just sold this exact watch on SC last week for £800 though, so I’d be looking for a discount off the retail price at the AD. It is a great watch for the money though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

I'd be horrified if I got given that as I can't stand the mix of Arabic and Roman numerals.

I know that's a matter of personal preference, but that's my point; I think it's a bit of a minefield.

Take him along to a Jewellers with a range (towns near here had a selection in close proximity) when they reopen and let him try a few on - You can still surprise him with one of them, but you don't want to spend £1500 on a watch he hates.

Might be something from the Longines range in your target price range that he likes - Swiss brand with lots of heritage, but not Omega/Rolex dear.

Sinns are great, but wouldn't impress any of his mates.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th March 2021 at 16:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Just to echo what many are saying, TAG is likely to be a good shout but definitely let him choose.

If it was for me I'd go Nomos but I'm a 46 year old WIS.

I bought a Nomos Club at the age of 23.. but then I’m quite old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I bought a Nomos Club at the age of 23.. but then I’m quite old fashioned.
    You must have been a young WIS then! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Seems the answer is Tag if that’s what he likes. I have a beat up quartz Aquaracer and I enjoy it.

But I’d also echo others in suggesting a look at Nomos. Their Club range is versatile, slim, well made and you get 100m WR. A good watch for the workplace if he’ll be in an office setting. The name recognition might not be there though.

Another good shout, I just sold this exact watch on SC last week for £800 though, so I’d be looking for a discount off the retail price at the AD. It is a great watch for the money though.

I’d have bought that myself if I’d seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    I’d have bought that myself if I’d seen it.
    You've missed it twice then, as someone else sold it to me on Sales Corner for the same price a couple of months before that! Keep an eye out, never know when it'll be back

When I was 21 the only watch brand I was interested in was Tag - anything else might as well have had Mickey Mouse on the dial. Took me probably 10 years to realise the error of my ways!

As others have suggested tho let him choose, would be awful to drop a lot of cash on something he’s really not that keen on but feels obliged to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Took my son to the shops last year for a watch for his 21st
    Budget was max £1200
    He chose the Sinn 556 Blue knowing nothing about watches and he's pretty brand conscious.

Oris 65. The 36mm version if he's small of wrist.

Really good discount:
    https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products...YaAtitEALw_wcB

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Oris 65. The 36mm version if he's small of wrist.

Really good discount:
    https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products...YaAtitEALw_wcB
    He would “quite like a Tudor black bay”. There’s the budget out of the window

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would £1500 not get him a nice vintage OP or AirKing?
    It’ll be small fir the slim wrists and have the ‘name’ he wants.

Blog Entries
    My youngest had his 18th today and asked for a Tag.

He was absolutely over the moon when he opened this up this morning

Pitch

I would have to agree with what others have said; go with what he likes, I.e., a Tag. You can't go wrong with an Aquaracer and the 41mm versions are great watches. Tag is also a recognisable 'luxury' brand, so gives him Kudos with his mates. Yes, there are 'better' watches in this price range but most 21-year-olds probably don't care about the technical merits of the watch but rather what their friends and peers think (generalising, of course).
    Take him to a Tag dealer and let him choose.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My son got this for his 21st and was very pleased.

Journeyman
    Take him out and make a day / experience out of it!

Me and my daughter (10 yo ) did this last year and she had a brill time... ice skating, afternoon tea, a walk, shopping and she picked me a stunning Rado Captain Cook (she has impeccable tastes!).

Similar shouts to the others... Oris, oris, oris, Tudor, Longines, Rado, Bremont at a stretch, Not a tag fan myself but a good shout, Hamilton, Certina, Sinn, Ball.

A tag aquaracer for a 21 year old all day long.
    Ask for 25% off for cash you have a great chance.
    20 % discount minimum.
    Great watch for a lad.
    I got mine a full metal g shock but he is weird.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Agree with the Aquaracer suggestions, it's a great watch.

I believe he'll be more proud to earn his own Rolex someday

Craftsman
    Where does he work (normally)? Some TAG's are a bit loud.
    My son works in an office in London, we went for an Aqua Terra for his 21st after he approved it. No point getting them something they don't want.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Where does he work (normally)? Some TAG's are a bit loud.
    My son works in an office in London, we went for an Aqua Terra for his 21st after he approved it. No point getting them something they don't want.
    Student. Hes on a years internship at moment , working from home, but then his finals next year.

If it's going to be a TAG and you live in Manchester you might consider the Tag Outlet store at Cheshire Oaks for when the shops reopen in a few weeks. Should get a decent discount.

https://store.tagheuer.com/143932-ta...esigner-outlet

F1’s are a little cheaper than the Aquaracers and still a nice watch, I always wanted one when I was 21 but took me until I was 45 to buy one!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Tag heuers are a nice place to start to get someone into watches as they have the brand name and look cool. I had the aqua racer 500m in black it looked smart but was a heavy beast haha

Back in 2012 my son who then had no real interest in watches I brought for his 21st one of Eddies Smiths Everest Mk1 and a CWC W10 as his birth year watch.
    Now he quite fancies a Navitimer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Haha an expensive jump up but very nice choice

Master
    I've got that one, it's my only Tag and my only Nato, i really like it

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    My youngest had his 18th today and asked for a Tag.

He was absolutely over the moon when he opened this up this morning

Pitch