timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21st watch for our Son

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    Haha an expensive jump up but very nice choice
    Quote Originally Posted by RogDen View Post
    Back in 2012 my son who then had no real interest in watches I brought for his 21st one of Eddies Smiths Everest Mk1 and a CWC W10 as his birth year watch.
    Now he quite fancies a Navitimer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    If it's going to be a TAG and you live in Manchester you might consider the Tag Outlet store at Cheshire Oaks for when the shops reopen in a few weeks. Should get a decent discount.

https://store.tagheuer.com/143932-ta...esigner-outlet
    Do they have the stock listed anywhere or is it hit and miss on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Watching brief View Post
    Do they have the stock listed anywhere or is it hit and miss on the day?
    Never bought a TAG there so cant really answer. I've only ever window shopped there. Used to also stock Zenith at one time. May be worth a call in case the store is open to enquiries and collection. A nice TAG has popped up on SC too.

Isn’t Tag a bit 1990s?

Master
    Tags always look really good on the wrist . Got the right splash of colour and if you can’t have a bit of flash when you’re younger when can you.
    I guess the best investment might be a 90’s speedmaster , or was as they’ve now climbed . But to be honest for a lad probably get a Tag Quartz . He’ll be happier I reckon

My son was happy with his Tag Heuer, not many of his contemporaries are wearing Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc, IMO its a proven, well known, accessible brand with decent history and a good entry into the watch wearing world.

TAG have upped their game in recent years with their chrono’s, vintage reissues and the new aquaracer range. I picked up an Aquaracer last year as a holiday, weekend watch and have been really impressed.

Obviously it’s a dive watch, so it’s sporty. They are rock solid - good Swiss movement, stainless steel, ceramic or SS bezels, sapphire, 300m WR etc so it can take a beating, but also brand wise it’s the kind of think that will appeal to a younger fella as a first watch - one that he and his mates will instantly recognise.

It comes more commonly in 43mm which would be pretty large on a younger guy with thin wrists, but they so also do them in 41mm which is a much better size. It the size I have and has 20mm lug width, 47mm lug length and is only 12mm thick, wears very slim on wrist.

The only real negative I had was the bracelet (which is excellent) has a pin & collar system. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good quality, robust system and when sized is going nowhere, but was a bit tricky to resize. But the AD or a jeweller can always do that for you. I think for a 21 year old guy it’s a great shout, and with a bit of negotiation you could potentially get a brand new one in budget or fractionally over. There was a PSA on Sales Corner about two weeks ago for a dealer offering a good discount on TAG Heuers, I had a look and they had the 41 in blue with ceramic bezel at a really good price, I’ll dig it out and see if the sale is still on.

Failing that Oris, Longines, Sinn or even a Hamilton Khaki Field would be a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to follow up, here’s the link for the place that had the discount. It was 25% at the time, appears to have finished, but you can still use a 15% code which would bring this one down to about 1800

https://www.ogdenharrogate.co.uk/col...way211c-ba0928

However that is about the starting price for one with a SS bezel:

https://www.mappinandwebb.com/TAG-He...928/p/17381466

So I’m sure if you walked in with cash on the nose you could knock 15% off of that and get it in on or near budget.

Journeyman
    I agree with everyone's suggestion of a tag heuer... You can also consider tudor

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

My wife has worn a men’s Tag aquaracer for 10 years, it has a blue dial and yellow seconds hand and she loves it. She’s also mentioned how often youngsters comment on how much they like her watch (she used to work in a college and still has a number of 20-something friends). It’s also held up well to being sprayed with perfume, clanked about in the sink or whilst gardening, and I’ve changed the batteries myself. I think they’re quite under rated tbh

Tag watches are OK but pawnbrokers windows can be full of them where they 'stick' for months (until reduced at sale time) because they are not popular as s/h timepieces.

Have you considered showing your son some of Eddie's Timefactors' watches?

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I would echo others’ sentiments regarding the aqua racer, it’s a bullet-proof choice.

I would add that it’s probably worth showing him a few offerings from Longines, including:

1. Longines Master series (dressy)
    2. Longines Spirit pilot watches (versatile)
    3. ....That sector dial one (Classic?)

I think as a brand, it has as much recognition and prestige as Tag and it might give him a few more options, depending on what his style is.

My parents bought me a Longines for my 18th, so I’m probably biased!

Aqua raced all day long

They are fantastic watches

He can always chop it in for something else as he gets older

You should be able to get a discount - as a minimum you’ll get cashback rates from sites like Quidco or TopCashback with the main sellers on the high street

Tag are a cool brand at 21 then folk get a bit snobby and look down on them a bit I feel, maybe it’s their advertising, but they obvs have heritage and would be a nice thing to own

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Aqua raced all day long

You should be able to get a discount - as a minimum you’ll get cashback rates from sites like Quidco or TopCashback with the main sellers on the high street

Tag are a cool brand at 21 then folk get a bit snobby and look down on them a bit I feel, maybe it’s their advertising, but they obvs have heritage and would be a nice thing to own
    Have you no soul? You don't "chop it in for something else" when it's a 21st present.

Craftsman
    What about an Oris Divers 65? Choice of size (36-42-mm) and dial colours and strap options so he can pick one to suit.

Apprentice

21st watch for our Son

Why not take him to AD and let him choose, it will make the whole experience much more memorable for him & that way he’s guaranteed to choose something he will wear! And chances are it won’t be a Rolex as they won’t have any lol

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plodge17 View Post
    Why not take him to AD and let him choose, it will make the whole experience much more memorable for him & that way he’s guaranteed to choose something he will wear! And chances are it won’t be a Rolex as they won’t have any lol

Wea re booked int o goldsmiths post lockdown. Tudor Black Bay 58 on the horizon

Journeyman
    Tudor it is . He got quite animated telling me how the 58 has a smaller face and is thinner which would suit him. Bless him.

Havent got the heart to tell him I really fancy one for myself. Might see if he fancies a swap for a GShock if he gets bored,

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Plodge17 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    What about an Oris Divers 65? Choice of size (36-42-mm) and dial colours and strap options so he can pick one to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Have you no soul? You don't "chop it in for something else" when it's a 21st present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Aqua raced all day long

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I would echo others’ sentiments regarding the aqua racer, it’s a bullet-proof choice.

I would add that it’s probably worth showing him a few offerings from Longines, including:

1. Longines Master series (dressy)
    2. Longines Spirit pilot watches (versatile)
    3. ....That sector dial one (Classic?)

I think as a brand, it has as much recognition and prestige as Tag and it might give him a few more options, depending on what his style is.

My parents bought me a Longines for my 18th, so I’m probably biased!
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Tag watches are OK but pawnbrokers windows can be full of them where they 'stick' for months (until reduced at sale time) because they are not popular as s/h timepieces.

Have you considered showing your son some of Eddie's Timefactors' watches?

dunk
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My wife has worn a men’s Tag aquaracer for 10 years, it has a blue dial and yellow seconds hand and she loves it. She’s also mentioned how often youngsters comment on how much they like her watch (she used to work in a college and still has a number of 20-something friends). It’s also held up well to being sprayed with perfume, clanked about in the sink or whilst gardening, and I’ve changed the batteries myself. I think they’re quite under rated tbh

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCalvinus View Post
    I agree with everyone's suggestion of a tag heuer... You can also consider tudor

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Just to follow up, here’s the link for the place that had the discount. It was 25% at the time, appears to have finished, but you can still use a 15% code which would bring this one down to about 1800

https://www.ogdenharrogate.co.uk/col...way211c-ba0928

However that is about the starting price for one with a SS bezel:

https://www.mappinandwebb.com/TAG-He...928/p/17381466

So I’m sure if you walked in with cash on the nose you could knock 15% off of that and get it in on or near budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    My son was happy with his Tag Heuer, not many of his contemporaries are wearing Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc, IMO its a proven, well known, accessible brand with decent history and a good entry into the watch wearing world.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    TAG have upped their game in recent years with their chrono’s, vintage reissues and the new aquaracer range. I picked up an Aquaracer last year as a holiday, weekend watch and have been really impressed.

Obviously it’s a dive watch, so it’s sporty. They are rock solid - good Swiss movement, stainless steel, ceramic or SS bezels, sapphire, 300m WR etc so it can take a beating, but also brand wise it’s the kind of think that will appeal to a younger fella as a first watch - one that he and his mates will instantly recognise.

It comes more commonly in 43mm which would be pretty large on a younger guy with thin wrists, but they so also do them in 41mm which is a much better size. It the size I have and has 20mm lug width, 47mm lug length and is only 12mm thick, wears very slim on wrist.

The only real negative I had was the bracelet (which is excellent) has a pin & collar system. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good quality, robust system and when sized is going nowhere, but was a bit tricky to resize. But the AD or a jeweller can always do that for you. I think for a 21 year old guy it’s a great shout, and with a bit of negotiation you could potentially get a brand new one in budget or fractionally over. There was a PSA on Sales Corner about two weeks ago for a dealer offering a good discount on TAG Heuers, I had a look and they had the 41 in blue with ceramic bezel at a really good price, I’ll dig it out and see if the sale is still on.

Failing that Oris, Longines, Sinn or even a Hamilton Khaki Field would be a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Tags always look really good on the wrist . Got the right splash of colour and if you can’t have a bit of flash when you’re younger when can you.
    I guess the best investment might be a 90’s speedmaster , or was as they’ve now climbed . But to be honest for a lad probably get a Tag Quartz . He’ll be happier I reckon
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Isn’t Tag a bit 1990s?
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Never bought a TAG there so cant really answer. I've only ever window shopped there. Used to also stock Zenith at one time. May be worth a call in case the store is open to enquiries and collection. A nice TAG has popped up on SC too.

Journeyman
    Excellent choice. I remember one of my classmate had a tudor hydronaught when i was a law student. I always secretly admired him for it even though i had a (more common) submariner...

Excellent choice, top parenting!