closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer (or just plain old Heuer) Monaco's - ownership thoughts.

Tag Heuer (or just plain old Heuer) Monaco's - ownership thoughts.

I've suddenly got the urge to have a Monaco in my collection. Before a good chunk of cash gets invested in one, new or used, some advice would be appreciated.

No chance of trotting off to a retailer to try one on and I'm concerned about how it will wear on 6 3/4" to 7" wrist...mine varies with temperature!
    I've tried cutting out a 39mm square and sitting it on my wrist - nothing near representative of the real thing.

Mrs JiaB has offered a healthy contribution to new model but she "demands" to choose the colour, she wants blue. I'm not convinced that blue is the colour I really want. My preference is for the plain black though there is a grey LE version that might work.

Not keen on the multi coloured motorsport models - too fussy for me.

At the end of the day I'd be happy with used. £5k plus on a new model is a little uncomfortable for me. Prices from the usual used sources seem to be all over the place and simply add to my confusion.

Discounts? I bought a new Tag Heuer 1887 chrono' when they were released and managed, without too much difficulty, to get 20% off, wonder if the Monaco's are available with a discount these days. If yes, then new becomes more attractive.

Thoughts on wearability, colour and pricing would be great :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    I chose the blue one, I got 12% from Fraser Hart back in October. Goldsmiths are doing 20% on certain models using WATCH20, I got 20% off a Seiko Willard last week. I love the fit although I have a 7.75" wrist.
    It looks great & goes with smart or casual clothes, the square shape is neat, the slight rounding of the case gives a pleasing, less angular overall outline. I really like it.

Thanks Speedy, seems you have the wrist size to carry it off well. Despite the Monaco's only being 38/39mm square, wrist shots that I've seen do make them seem large.

Which model ref did you buy? Seems to be a few blue ones to choose from.

Slightly smaller wrists at 6.5 inches but was shocked at how large it wore. Didn’t look too bad as my wrist profile is relatively flat but decided against the purchase.

Not sure if the model reference but it was one of the Steve McQueen models with the white sub dials. A forum member lent my his vintage Heuer Monaco some time later which I think is 38mm. Seemed a lot better but the prices had just started to go a little mental on Heuer and my money went on a 16800 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks RLE, I think you have confirmed my reservations on just how big it will wear.

Strange that you say the 38mm Heuer versions wore more easily. I have just been offered a Heuer CS2110 (think that's the model ref) which is a 38mm case...plexi though and dial looks "bare" with only one proper registar and a crosshair type registar for the second. Seems a bit out of balance?

Need to try before buying I think.

I was glad I tried it before committing. At the time values for second hand modern examples were sub £2k but seemed to stick around here on TZ and were generally unloved.

Perhaps it was was the departure of the conventional case shape that I just wasn’t used to but it certainly didn’t sit right. My wife agreed it looked a bit daft and at the time I had a few Autavias so was happy wearing watches on the larger side. The vintage one from memory was a 1133 and seemed slimmer and the profile of the case edges were softer. I’d have gone for that one tbh but the price was nudging £5000.00 compared with the modern McQueen one that I was offered for 1795 on the bracelet. In the end I couldn’t justify the price differential between the two although in hindsight wish I’d have gone for it.

As you know!

I have a blue dialed one, bought it new last year, and a black dialed one..approx. 10 years old. (Monacos that is).

They dont wear small I think! I recently had a Heuer Monza, black dial..To me though..it wore too small?! So I traded it for my black Monaco.

If you can, Id certainly recommend trying one on , before buying one.

I "prefer", the blue dials, However, I find I wear the black dials are also great...Personally, I dont like the grey dialed one....much prefer the blue or black dials! At one time I really wanted the "Gulf" one............?!

Ogden’s of Harrogate have 25% off all Tag Heuer, inc the Monaco Calibre 11.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Thanks Speedy, seems you have the wrist size to carry it off well. Despite the Monaco's only being 38/39mm square, wrist shots that I've seen do make them seem large.

Which model ref did you buy? Seems to be a few blue ones to choose from.

Sorry, just seen this. It looks larger than the claimed 39mm, I think the 39mm refers to the circular part of the dial. Because the extra corner bits that make the case square increase the apparent size it wears a bit bigger.
    The model is the CAW211P, the one with the crown on the left hand side.

Blog Entries
    Often thought about these but always thought it would be too big. Interested to see how they actually wear.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I’ve tried these a lot, and in all likelihood will finally get one later this year. They are big, but wear very well, and my wrists are only 6.75 inches. I find the slab sided thickness causes more doubt than the other dimensions.

D

Craftsman
    I’ve had 3 over the years, started with a WAW131A, then a CAW2110 then a CAW211R. I loved them, I think they are a great watch and sit perfectly. I only sold the Gulf because I’d decided I prefer a bracelet or rubber strap and didn’t like the look of a Monaco on either.

Thanks all for chipping in, your thoughts are appreciated and helpful:)

My biggest concern is really the size and lack of opportunity to try one in a dealer and I'm really not sure when is likely. Even buying on-line with the chance to return it could be costly for a high value item and RMSD insurance limit

Really I'm left with the difficult choice of colour, I do like the blue and black, but I've been quite taken with Ltd Ed run out model of the Cal12
    CAW211J which is metallic grey face seems to still be available despite being limited to a 1000 pieces. Perhaps it's not popular?

Thanks too for the links, Goldsmiths 20% off and Ogdens in Harrowgate with 25% discount. Sadly Ogdens only show one model which is not what I really want.

The search and the head-scratching goes on!

Just to chip in, I have the blue Calibre 11 version and 8 inch wrists and it’s at the limit of what would look a sensible size. As someone said it’s mainly the case height combine with the blocky case shape that makes it wear big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks all for chipping in, your thoughts are appreciated and helpful:)

My biggest concern is really the size and lack of opportunity to try one in a dealer and I'm really not sure when is likely. Even buying on-line with the chance to return it could be costly for a high value item and RMSD insurance limit

Really I'm left with the difficult choice of colour, I do like the blue and black, but I've been quite taken with Ltd Ed run out model of the Cal12
    CAW211J which is metallic grey face seems to still be available despite being limited to a 1000 pieces. Perhaps it's not popular?

Thanks too for the links, Goldsmiths 20% off and Ogdens in Harrowgate with 25% discount. Sadly Ogdens only show one model which is not what I really want.

The search and the head-scratching goes on!

I have similar wrist size to you, with my current daily the Tudor BB58 which is perfect. although my daily a few years ago was a Panerai at 44mm l2l at 51mm is my max.

I currently have a long term admiration for the Monaco and would like to pick one up later in the year funds permitting.

Some pics when I have tried one prior. (Blue Monaco for me).

For me it wears small, and get the points made about the slab sidedness, however the crown on the left visual breaks this up and the case brushing & polishing makes it visually appealing.

There is a black faced one on sc or there was.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

This my calibre 11 vintage 're edition.
    I've not got big wrists and wears great.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Blue is the colour.....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    I have similar wrist size to you, with my current daily the Tudor BB58 which is perfect. although my daily a few years ago was a Panerai at 44mm l2l at 51mm is my max.

I currently have a long term admiration for the Monaco and would like to pick one up later in the year funds permitting.

Some pics when I have tried one prior. (Blue Monaco for me).

For me it wears small, and get the points made about the slab sidedness, however the crown on the left visual breaks this up and the case brushing & polishing makes it visually appealing.
    I've had a go with Panerai's and a large Planet Ocean in years long since past and have to admit (eventually) they wore big.

I obviously getting misled with 39mm case size and not allowing 4 four corners! A poster earlier suggested he felt that with an 8" wrist he felt the Monaco was just wearable...I'm lacking and it is a concern buying without trying.

Looking at the watch in your pictures I'm not keen on the winder being on the LH side. And what's going on with the markers at 1,5,7 and 11 o'clock going horizontally - looks so wrong? Do like the colour though.

I just hope I can restrain myself until I get to try one before commiting!

Thanks to everyone else for comments and pictures - not sure you're helping (you are really :) )

I've had a go with Panerai's and a large Planet Ocean in years long since past and have to admit (eventually) they wore big.

I obviously getting misled with 39mm case size and not allowing 4 four corners! A poster earlier suggested he felt that with an 8" wrist he felt the Monaco was just wearable...I'm lacking and it is a concern buying without trying.

Looking at the watch in your pictures I'm not keen on the winder being on the LH side. And what's going on with the markers at 1,5,7 and 11 o'clock going horizontally - looks so wrong? Do like the colour though.

I just hope I can restrain myself until I get to try one before commiting!

Thanks to everyone else for comments and pictures - not sure you're helping (you are really :) )
    To be honest the short amount of time I had one on, it felt smallish (short lug to lug) compared to a Speedmaster which did feel big.

It’s the height of the Monaco which makes it large especially pictures close up but it does have a thick raised crystal.

The variant in the picture above paid homage to the original (left hand crown to prove its an auto and not needing to be wound every day) the indices I think personally suit the watch horizontally compared to normal vertical ones, for me it looks unfinished with out l, but each to their own.

Deep down I probably know the Panerai is too big, but has sentiment in my watch buying history. Glad it’s just a weekend warrior now. But I do see many people rocking those at 47mm and my god they look to big - but hey it’s the DNA.

Hopefully you get to try one on. If looking for the non in house movement (02) try to get discount as RRP is high.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

At one point I was very keen on the Monaco and came close to buying one on a couple of occasions, but over time the desire has waned.

Personally, I prefer the plainer white on black models, finding things like the Gulf dialed ones too gimmicky and gawdy for my tastes. I can't even say I like the blue dials much and I'm usually keen on blue dialed watches.

I came close to buying a silver-dialed one once, but on reflection am glad I didn't.

Prices seem to have got a lot higher in the last few years (used as well as new) and my enthusiasm has dimmed.

I still think it's a pretty iconic design, but I can't see me buying one now - If I did, it would be a white on black chrono model.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I like them but have never tried one on.

If you’re going to get one, I think the CAW211P is definitely the one to go for.

More authentic case with the crown on the left side; and the dial is also closer to the original.

The flat blue is unique, and it just looks a lot more expensive IMO - as if it were made with more care.

CAW211P? It's not for me; colours are just fine, but as I pointed out earlier, I'm not keen on the winder being on the LH side and those horizontal markers leave me feeling cold...appreciate they're a nod to the heritage of the watch.
    Maybe I'm not ready for such a departure from conventional design!