closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-29A (MK1 Acrylic Version) vs Smiths W10

PRS-29A (MK1 Acrylic Version) vs Smiths W10

Well, this my 1000th post here in TZ-UK. My 1st post compared the MK1 and MK2 (Acrylic and Sapphire versions) so it seemed appropriate that I would do this comparison as my 1000th post!

Firstly, big thank you to Boxash for the loan of his marvellous W10, he’s an absolutely top chap.

The key differences I think are:

All of the dimensions are just slightly beefier on the PRS, the case thickness for example.

The dial and hands seem slightly closer to the crystal on the W10, which is a pleasing effect. And on the topic of the crystal, it is has a more pronounced curve in the top profile on the W10.

The dial numerals are thicker on the PRS, which is enhanced by the newness of the dial, ie there is no fading or patina.

The caseback is the other obvious difference.

Overall the W10 feels slightly more delicate, which I think is a combination of it’s slightly smaller dimensions and the psychology of knowing it’s a vintage piece.

In the end, the comparison made me realise that Eddie’s reinterpretation captures the spirit of the original so well that although I always wanted to buy a W10, my collection feels complete with the PRS.

Enjoy the photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That is a nice comparison!

I'm currently obsessing about the PRS-29A and I seemed to have absorbed most of the information that I can find at the moment. I really like the original W10 but I think would worry about wearing it all of the time as (too me) would represent a bit too much money to be carefree with it.

The side on shots are interesting as it shows the difference in the thickness of the case and the crown very well.

Am I right in thinking that your MK1 PRS has fixed spring bars?

Both lovely watches!

PRS-29A (MK1 Acrylic Version) vs Smiths W10

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    That is a nice comparison!

I'm currently obsessing about the PRS-29A and I seemed to have absorbed most of the information that I can find at the moment. I really like the original W10 but I think would worry about wearing it all of the time as (too me) would represent a bit too much money to be carefree with it.

The side on shots are interesting as it shows the difference in the thickness of the case and the crown very well.

Am I right in thinking that your MK1 PRS has fixed spring bars?

Both lovely watches!

Cheers.

Yes the MK1 had fixed springbars.

The PRS-29A is Eddie’s finest watch in my opinion, or at least it’s my favourite.

Last edited by TheGent; 10th March 2021 at 16:12.

Journeyman
    Great comparison! Really interesting. I was lucky enough to get an acrylic 29a recently and, with the AM as my only comparison, I think it's now my favourite watch. I'm torn about fixed bars,because I do like leather straps. The dial though is fantastic: so crisp!
    Glad to see it measures up well against the original.

Craftsman
    Congratulations on getting an original 29a. As controversial as it sounds I'd say that its better than the W10. It has more wrist presence without being big. Fantastic dial and great movement. As for the fixed spring bars, if its a biggie you could bet them drilled....bingo perfection....enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattcurry View Post
    Great comparison! Really interesting. I was lucky enough to get an acrylic 29a recently and, with the AM as my only comparison, I think it's now my favourite watch. I'm torn about fixed bars,because I do like leather straps. The dial though is fantastic: so crisp!
    Glad to see it measures up well against the original.

Craftsman
    Great comparison OP. It was the 29A that led to me getting a W10 and in my view the best watch Eddie has ever made. I owned both for a while, but ultimately (for me) the W10 with its history, the aged lume (has way more character than luminova), and the relative minor differences between them resulted in the 29A just not getting worn, so was sold.

That said, the older fixed lug 29A is a fantastic watch, I am not at all fond of the dial changes on the newer 29A. So if you want a really decent modern watch that is near identical to the original, in essence as close as you can get to the W10 without buying a W10, go for the older 29A. But if you can, get the W10 - its a strong statement to make, but having had mine for approaching 4 years now, it will never voluntarily leave my collection.

Master
    Blog Entries
    thank you for the comparison

that last W10 photo is top notch,no watch ever looked more purposeful.

Master
    I'm another for whom the original 29A became a gateway drug for a real W10 - and I ended up selling the 29A, as nice as it was.

The big thing for me is the location of the dial. On the original W10 it sits really high in the case and close to the crystal which gives it a lovely *floating* effect - and is highly readable from many angles. That, combined with an acrylic crystal is a thing of beauty for me! On the reissues the dial is much more recessed and you kind of have to "peer into" the watch - the OPs pics above describe this effect very well. This phenomenon isn't limited to the PRS-29s - it seems to be the case with most reissued or vintage-inspired pieces - but for me - especially with military watches - it's all about the dial.

That said - the original 29A was a fantastic watch - I would have said Eddies best, but I now have a black-dial navigator which I think takes top spot!

Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    Great comparison OP. It was the 29A that led to me getting a W10 and in my view the best watch Eddie has ever made. I owned both for a while, but ultimately (for me) the W10 with its history, the aged lume (has way more character than luminova), and the relative minor differences between them resulted in the 29A just not getting worn, so was sold.

That said, the older fixed lug 29A is a fantastic watch, I am not at all fond of the dial changes on the newer 29A. So if you want a really decent modern watch that is near identical to the original, in essence as close as you can get to the W10 without buying a W10, go for the older 29A. But if you can, get the W10 - its a strong statement to make, but having had mine for approaching 4 years now, it will never voluntarily leave my collection.

Thanks!

And that’s a great photo!

I loved the W10, and if they were cheaper to but I would certainly consider one, but I do consider the 29A to be a worthy contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I'm another for whom the original 29A became a gateway drug for a real W10 - and I ended up selling the 29A, as nice as it was.

The big thing for me is the location of the dial. On the original W10 it sits really high in the case and close to the crystal which gives it a lovely *floating* effect - and is highly readable from many angles. That, combined with an acrylic crystal is a thing of beauty for me! On the reissues the dial is much more recessed and you kind of have to "peer into" the watch - the OPs pics above describe this effect very well. This phenomenon isn't limited to the PRS-29s - it seems to be the case with most reissued or vintage-inspired pieces - but for me - especially with military watches - it's all about the dial.

That said - the original 29A was a fantastic watch - I would have said Eddies best, but I now have a black-dial navigator which I think takes top spot!
    Yes agreed - the dial relative to the crystal was the first thing I noticed when unpacking the W10. I think a domed crystal rather than the more box-shaped one on the 29A would help.

Yes the Navigator is certainly a worth contender for ‘Eddie’s best watch’.

Craftsman
    Congratulations on bagging such a nice example of the W10. The lume colour is amazing and really vibrant. Is that the real original lume? Im not trying to cast doubt just that I don't know enough about them.

Another great thing about Eddies PRS 29A is if you mark it or whack it on a door jamb its less strain on the heart!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Congratulations on bagging such a nice example of the W10. The lume colour is amazing and really vibrant. Is that the real original lume? Im not trying to cast doubt just that I don't know enough about them.

Another great thing about Eddies PRS 29A is if you mark it or whack it on a door jamb its less strain on the heart!
    Yes, all original, this watch was one of a large batch discovered by a member on MWR which had sat in a retired watchmakers stock since being sold off by the MoD.

As to whacks on door jambs, they are robust watches and still very cheap when compared to many military watches. For the prices Timefactors watches sell for on eBay theses days, an original W10 is not that much more...

Craftsman
    What a great 1000th post. Having been on this forum for some time (my original logon disappeared somehow) it's very apt to see this comparison. I was quite late to the game with getting one of Eddie's watches and it wasn't until I was able to try on a PRS29am that really converted me.

I keep coming back to this one too - probably closest to an original I will ever get (same with the Speedbird with first-gen dial).

Craftsman
    Thanks Andy. Cool to know that thats the original lume. It was my watch that The Gent used in the comparison below. It has a brighter lumeplots but the hands are a green sludge colour. When I saw the brighter lured hands I always wondered if they were the real deal. Good to know that they are. Thanks.

Yes, all original, this watch was one of a large batch discovered by a member on MWR which had sat in a retired watchmakers stock since being sold off by the MoD.

As to whacks on door jambs, they are robust watches and still very cheap when compared to many military watches. For the prices Timefactors watches sell for on eBay theses days, an original W10 is not that much more...