closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it just me? Th seiko hard core uproar

Is it just me? Th seiko hard core uproar

Hi guys, is it just my impression or have seiko unleashed the beast?
    I am quite astonished at the amount of fantasticnew launches and their price increases / repositionament.

Itseems as though a wis from tzuk became their marketing director, walked in the board room and started shouting WAKE UP FU####S! archieluxury style but in japanese and then set out to conquer the world.

They are so dynamic, like on a space rocket on cocaine, they have even started to publish good looking photography which is like whoa! Wassappenin'?
    And all the new models, hitting so many sweet spots for the wis and calling out to all muggles out there...

And distribution! They are popping up everywhere, more shops taking up and pimping their range plus the ADs and flagship stores.

I.... I want to spend all my money...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I think you have too much time on your hands to come up with that lol. Cut down on the Coffee

They certainly seem to be gathering huge momentum, they make great watches and i'm a huge fan. Looking forward to see what else they can bring.

Journeyman
    Ive always loved seikos...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Hi guys, is it just my impression or have seiko unleashed the beast?
    I am quite astonished at the amount of fantasticnew launches and their price increases / repositionament.

Itseems as though a wis from tzuk became their marketing director, walked in the board room and started shouting WAKE UP FU####S! archieluxury style but in japanese and then set out to conquer the world.

They are so dynamic, like on a space rocket on cocaine, they have even started to publish good looking photography which is like whoa! Wassappenin'?
    And all the new models, hitting so many sweet spots for the wis and calling out to all muggles out there...

And distribution! They are popping up everywhere, more shops taking up and pimping their range plus the ADs and flagship stores.

I.... I want to spend all my money...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, I just wanted to comment as your post really made me chuckle: "a space rocket on cocaine" excellent!

Brought some sparkle to my day, which given where you are isn't a surprise...

Whatever they are doing seems to be working. Well on me anyway.

I have had quite a few Seiko over the years, mainly Tunas of various iterations, but none have stuck. I would certainly have baulked at paying the current prices for the prospex lines but it appears I have been seduced of late and I have added a couple.

Of course “the release of the beast” as you describe it may just have coincided with a change in taste for me, but I’m enjoying the brand for the first time in over a decade of being seriously interested in watches.

Is it just me? Th seiko hard core uproar

I bought a Save the Ocean Turtle, its unbelievable value for a little over £200. The quality is so much better than Seiko was 10 - years ago. And with an Uncle Seiko bracelet, what is there not to like!

Last edited by wildheart; 10th March 2021 at 15:15.

Completely agree; the 2020 62MAS reimagining have been a real highlight but the smaller MM200s, the King Seiko reissue, some of the new alpinists are all very accomplished designs... I find it difficult to pick between most of those

The only trouble is the price has gone up substantially too and the QC is now very poor for £1000+ watches. Though that’s a well trodden conversational path.

Still, I’m all in!

I’m not so sure, I liked the times where they only had a few ‘sport’ models, you knew where you were then, their divers range had about a decade of production before they changed them , now I just have no idea what’s going on, so many models at so many price points, maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I think you have too much time on your hands to come up with that lol. Cut down on the Coffee
    I was wondering if he'd been associating with the space rocket!

I kind of see what you mean, though, OP, but maybe it's the other way 'round.

They need to up the marketing game dramatically to have any chance of selling minor upgrades to watches at steeply increased prices?

In contrast to some here, Seiko have lost me in recent years.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th March 2021 at 17:03.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I bought my first Seiko 43 years ago, my second arrived yesterday!

I find their price positioning pretty odd to be honest - outside of credor - Grand Seiko was their luxury range but more and more I see what appear to be entirely random prospex watches that exist at £500 and then have another version at £4000...

They have certainly had a good time of it over the last year or so. Gone are the giant arrow handsets that they seemed intent on throwing onto every new dive watch. Standard case size has also shrunk from around 44mm to 41mm ish, which is far more managed for the average wrist. They just seem to be churning out one good looking release after another.

Prices have also increased mind you (haven’t they all tho?), but it doesn’t seem that QC has followed in the same direction. Can’t agree on their photography tho - whenever Seiko release a new set of press images the watches always look really uninspiring to me. I often cross them off the list based on initial renders, only to be dragged back in when some real world pictures start to land!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I bought a Save the Ocean Turtle, its unbelievable value for a little over £200. The quality is so much better than Seiko was 10 - years ago. And with an Uncle Seiko bracelet, what is there not to like!

Love the bracelet!
    https://www.uncleseiko.com/collectio...-for-6309-22mm

I've been told by someone in the know that Credor are about to launch a watch for 200 million yen which is around £1.25m quid. Is there a production model Patek that retails at that price?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It would be nice if they focussed a bit more on putting their dials and chapter rings in straight, before adding a few zeros to the price whilst adding a prospex logo to everything!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I have same watch, but lives on a Haveston canvas. Cracking! However - QA/QC definitely suffering with Seiko nowadays, so issues there. Plus 'mid-range' is now 1k. Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I’m not so sure, I liked the times where they only had a few ‘sport’ models, you knew where you were then, their divers range had about a decade of production before they changed them , now I just have no idea what’s going on, so many models at so many price points, maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy.
    This. I just find Seiko utterly confusing now. Like Speedmasters.

Master
    Is there only me appreciating the wordology in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Is there only me appreciating the wordology in the OP
    OP is in Italy.
    The wordology is epic.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry, I do not share Bubi's view here.
    For me, Seiko used to be a "disrupter", making well-specified watches, often in innovative designs, at attractive prices.
    They have since decided to reposition themselves as members of the establishment, and have gone on a spree of thinking of every conceivable variaiton on their old models, and re-releasing them in shotgun manner. Some are Prospex, some are LEs, some are boutique only. But they are all in remarkably similar speficiation, but with massive variation in price (albeit with most of those variations being upwards of where they were, or indeed should be).
    I have gone from looking at many new Seiko offerings and wondering which to choose, to ignoring all of them.
    I can get better spefcification for less money, assembled with better QC from the Microbrand world than I can from Seiko.
    D

ps - I say every conveivable variation, that is not true. They are yet to release a reasonably sized Kinetic GMT that is attractive, with a non-compass bezel. I live in hope
    pps - I still think GS is a worthy disrupter, but even their bang-for-buck is lessening.

I think the Seiko line up is confusing, cluttered and lacks a clear goal on where or what they want to be (at least for the consumer)
    The Prospex and Presage lines have watches from a few hundred to over a thousand in price range, in some cases they nudge Grand Seiko Prices and this does not do the image of the more expensive watches any favours, Seiko 5 are now as expensive as standard Seiko

Previously they had Seiko5, Seiko, Marinemaster etc. (including the left field Antana etc.) Grand Seiko and Credor. Each was a step up in quality and price. No I have no idea what I am looking at.

QC is poor on some models and prices are stretching ever higher. The models looking back on previous watches never seem to hit the right note with me and they still can't produce a decent bracelet, although their rubber straps are now the most comfortable OEM out there.

I have a lot of love of Seiko (I am wearing one today - I own 6) but I can't see me buying a new one any time soon.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th March 2021 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think the Seiko line up is confusing, cluttered and lacks a clear goal on where or what they want to be (at least for the consumer)
    The Prospex and Presage lines have watches from a few hundred to over a thousand in price range, in some cases they nudge Grand Seiko Prices and this does not do the image of the more expensive watches any favours, Seiko 5 are now as expensive as standard Seiko

Previously they had Seiko5, Seiko, Marinemaster etc. (including the left field Antana etc.) Grand Seiko and Credor. Each was a step up in quality and price. No I have no idea what I am looking at.

QC is poor on some models and prices are stretching ever higher. The models looking back on previous watches never seem to hit the right note with me and they still can't produce a decent bracelet, although their rubber straps are now the most comfortable OEM out there.

I have a lot of love of Seiko (I am wearing one today - I own 6) but I can't see me buying a new one any time soon.
    My only current Seiko is the new ‘Arnie’ and aside from the usual grinding crown action (fixed with a bit of waxed dental floss in an instant) it’s a brilliantly well put together watch, everything lines up perfectly amd the rubber strap is lovely and comfy. Every other Seiko I’ve owned has had a wonky dial or poorly fitting end links with the exception of a kinetic gmt diver. It all seems so random - and I do think £420 for the Seiko Arnie, where you can get a similarly specced Casio for half the price - is a bit rich. I’ve never stepped up beyond the cheaper range - well, I have owned a Tuna but at the time it wasn’t very expensive - but the QC doesn’t encourage me tbh. I think they’ve rather lost their way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I've been told by someone in the know that Credor are about to launch a watch for 200 million yen which is around £1.25m quid. Is there a production model Patek that retails at that price?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Interesting. At that price I wonder if the T0 movement would be inside. If so, it would be well worth the money imo. I couldn’t afford it but I would dearly like it to exist.

I think people get a little caught up in the whole WIS world, Seiko along with Citizen and Rotary have been the staple watch of every high street jewellers in the country there is nothing really new or remarkable about their current marketing. What perhaps is an odd development is the whole Grand Seiko line which really is confusing as hell. The prices just keep getting higher but I have to wonder who is buying?