closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fifty Fathoms limited edition

Craftsman

New Fifty Fathoms limited edition

Evening all

Not sure if this has been posted already, but looks to be a new, limited edition, FF inbound from Blancpain

I've been a bit obsessed with them as a potential next purchase in the next few months, so hope the 500 worldwide don't go too quickly

Going to do a bit of googling to see what it might be using as it's inspiration

Meanwhile, they are releasing a documentary around the inception of the watch on the 15th to celebrate it

Cheers

Kidster

The Fifty Fathoms is at the front of my future watch thinking now, having had a few Rolex of which the only one that really worked for me was the YM2, I really want to try one now. For me probably the standard 45mm on bracelet, but always like to see others.
    Thing I’ve noticed is they don’t seem to be many daily wearers, interested to know why or thoughts. Second hand they appear to a bit of a bargain compared to the usual suspect, even available to purchase.

Maybe they will stick a dog on the dial. Works for Omega.

I am guessing PVD or ceramic case.
    I would take a FF over the usual suspects any day. They only thing I can’t stand is the awful script down the side.
    As already said they offer real ‘value’ compared to other watches out there. (I think they look better as well)

Journeyman
    The bezel certainly catches my eye. I'm not really into ceramic or PVD, so I'm hoping its a vintage reissue, or at least a vintage inspired!

The no radiation dial is the only vintage model I've consistently seen with the minute gradations on the bezel. I've also seen a few barracudas and moisture indicators with it too, but many without. Considering all three of these have been redone in the not so distant past, I can't say my googling has given me any better an idea of what this might be!
    Last edited by Hammer2016; 10th March 2021 at 10:19.

Master
    No Radiations reissue, I'm led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    There's already been one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Interesting, maybe I saw an extract from an old presentation.

Love BPFF but getting a little tired of the reissues.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Love BPFF but getting a little tired of the reissues.
    A bit too much of the LE release after LE release.
    They'd be better getting a good standard version out there and reduce some of the existing line-up which to me is a bit all over the place. The Barakuda is the only one I really like of their standard editions.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im looking forward to seeing it. I do like their ltd runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    A little hard to read, but no-one's going to complain the dial is too busy

I suspect I'll still prefer the standard model, I nearly always do whatever the watch and the limited edition features...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really hope I can see a curved strap that fits round the case there.

I’ll stick with vintage

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I really hope I can see a curved strap that fits round the case there.
    This.

Simply this.

Please!!!

From that last image I think you can see the no radiation circle. Would be surprised if they release another re-issue with that on the dial

Looks like a new no radiations with a date window in the latest teaser image. The internet address for the product page on the Blancpain website gives it away a bit too - the last section of the address reads "no-rad-2021". Given that it's a LE I guess it will be in the 40mm case.

Something like this in 40mm and I’m in.

It looks like it will be similar to the previous no rad model but with white hands, tan coloured lume and a coin edged bezel like the Barakuda. Should be very nice IMO. Will be interesting to see if they stick to a polished case with the Blancpain engraving on the side or whether they use a brushed, non-engraved case like the Hodinkee LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Something like this in 40mm and I’m in.
    Tony's pic is of a 40mm.

Master
    The 40mm kills it for me, too small IMHO. The 45mm wears more like 40/42mm. A "No radiation" edition in 45mm would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think the No Radiation edition released in around 2010 was 45mm? Given that and the other design tweaks, hopefully this new edition is different enough to merit another release.

Whilst I think the style of bezel and the relatively short lugs make the 40mm Blancpain case appear compact, I got used to it pretty quickly and really like the size. I do have a skinny wrist though. For anyone considering the new edition, this is what the 40mm case looks like on my 17cm wrist:

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    I think the No Radiation edition released in around 2010 was 45mm? Given that and the other design tweaks, hopefully this new edition is different enough to merit another release.

Whilst I think the style of bezel and the relatively short lugs make the 40mm Blancpain case appear compact, I got used to it pretty quickly and really like the size. I do have a skinny wrist though. For anyone considering the new edition, this is what the 40mm case looks like on my 17cm wrist:
    Jup i think you're right, it was 45mm, so my post above is wrong. Pretty boring just to put on the 40mm model. BP need to get creative!

Master

While 40mm to me sounds to small, I have to admit that this looks nigh on perfect!

Craftsman

The lume shot makes it look like a cross between this and the one posted earlier.
    Full minute indices on the bezel & date of the other one, but the hands of this one.

Apprentice

That's my grail watch right there!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Tony's pic is of a 40mm.
    No, that one was a full size case. I’d still have it if it was 40mm.

I just over exposed the photo on their Instagram and it gives a bit of a clearer idea of what it may look like. Either way, I guess we will find out today!

Craftsman
    Its 40mm on there site now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Its 40mm on there site now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Missed that! Looks great, but I can't help think they should just release a no-date 40mm ff as part of their standard range, and not a limited edition. I'm sure there would be lots of people who would choose that over other alternatives (myself included).

At first glance, not much difference other than the faux patina and a fully graduated bezel.
    Looks nice enough but not hankering for one.

Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Price?
    £11,800.00

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-f...008d-1130-b64a

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    >smug!<

Blog Entries
    Nice that but no point even thinking about it at 500 pieces

I wouldn't give up if you're keen - call or email the Blancpain boutique in London and the other UK based ADs and you might have some luck. I was able to get on the list for the Barakuda previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Ouch. I’ll pass.

A 40mm non-LE without any logo on the dial would be quite fine, if a few K cheaper.

They should be obtainable, Boutique or an AD

Was speaking to one today lol.

Only downside i see is this is Swatch groups new year speedy tuesday, and they’ll keep hammering out a new 40mm with the hype drop model till everyone gets bored.

There’s allways Swatch’s Certina ph200m, if you miss the boat lol

Craftsman
    Mmm, it's nice, but I'm not sure it's 11.8k nice

I found the previous 40mm LE far too small (on my average 6.75" wrist). I'll wait for them to go up to 42mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I found the previous 40mm LE far too small (on my average 6.75" wrist). I'll wait for them to go up to 42mm.
    Me too. I desperately wanted it but it looked so small and I have small wrists. I walked away but would jump on a 42mm like a tramp on a bag of chips.

Master
    Nice enough, but it’s shame Blancpain seem to be running out of ideas with their main line and regularly issuing LE’s of the FF.

I was really looking forward to seeing this release as I really like the Fifty Fathoms watches in general. Whilst I do like the watch and prefer it to the previous No Rad LE, I'm not sure it's as coherent as the Barakuda. I find the combination of the tan lume and the colours of the No Rad symbol a bit jarring. I'd prefer a brushed case with no engraving too but I guess that might not feature outside of the Hodinkee Mil Spec. Overall, I'm sure it's nice looking in person and I doubt buyers would be disappointed, but it's not my favourite of the recent 40mm LEs.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like it, but I'm a fan of fauxtina.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Nice enough, but it’s shame Blancpain seem to be running out of ideas with their main line and regularly issuing LE’s of the FF.
    Hardly unique in that though and classics are popular for a reason. At least my non-expert eye can spot the differences in the FF releases at a glance, the same cant be said for subs.

I was really looking forward to seeing this release as I really like the Fifty Fathoms watches in general. Whilst I do like the watch and prefer it to the previous No Rad LE, I'm not sure it's as coherent as the Barakuda. I find the combination of the tan lume and the colours of the No Rad symbol a bit jarring. I'd prefer a brushed case with no engraving too but I guess that might not feature outside of the Hodinkee Mil Spec. Overall, I'm sure it's nice looking in person and I doubt buyers would be disappointed, but it's not my favourite of the recent 40mm LEs.
    The Hodinkee release got almost everything right for me so it'll take some beating. This isn't it though. As you & others have said. the faux aged lume doesn't work for me on this even though I'm not against it generally. For me it's probably the clash with the date wheel & frame being white.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Hardly unique in that though and classics are popular for a reason. At least my non-expert eye can spot the differences in the FF releases at a glance, the same cant be said for subs.

The Hodinkee release got almost everything right for me so it'll take some beating. This isn't it though. As you & others have said. the faux aged lume doesn't work for me on this even though I'm not against it generally. For me it's probably the clash with the date wheel & frame being white.
    Didn't work for me on the Barakuda when it came out - but now, I am a fan.

Too small for this style of watch for my tastes.

I'd love a no rads, but it has to be full size.

Master
    I think faux lume as an actual colour. In a lot of cases it’s what makes vintage special and as it won’t fade on modern watches it’s not really fake, it’s just a choice.

Having said it wasn't fully doing it for me, I must admit it looks nice here:

There's some more info and good photos on the Blancpain Blog:

https://blancpainblog.com/news/hands...no-radiations/

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I think faux lume as an actual colour. In a lot of cases it’s what makes vintage special and as it won’t fade on modern watches it’s not really fake, it’s just a choice.
    Which is what I've been saying for years. If someone can tell me why mint green is any better...

I love this release, but I love my Barakuda more.