closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fifty Fathoms limited edition

Craftsman
    Dissapointing release for me. Real shame as blancpain is such an underrated brand.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    They should be obtainable, Boutique or an AD

Was speaking to one today lol.

Only downside i see is this is Swatch groups new year speedy tuesday, and they’ll keep hammering out a new 40mm with the hype drop model till everyone gets bored.

There’s allways Swatch’s Certina ph200m, if you miss the boat lol
    The Certina has an uncanny resemblance....

and the Certina may even look better. lol
    Last edited by crazyp; 15th March 2021 at 16:03.

I am not sure why some are surprised at the price. It is what one would expect.
    BTW, it is faux patina, not faux lume. As Toney said, it is just another color. I like it when it is tastefully done.
    It is just that there is not much new. Seems like a lazy effort from BP.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Dissapointing release for me. Real shame as blancpain is such an underrated brand.
    Blancpain underrated ? By whom?

Seeing some better pictures now and that strap just looks crap.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Which is what I've been saying for years. If someone can tell me why mint green is any better...

I love this release, but I love my Barakuda more.
    I agree totally, i'm certain i've been saying the same, it's just a colorway, nothing more.
    However it gives folk something to moan about.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The Certina has an uncanny resemblance....

and the Certina may even look better. lol
    42mm, so will wear alot better too, why do you think i built a FFF :p

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Seeing some better pictures now and that strap just looks crap.
    The Blancpain tropic rivals even the rubber used by Patek on the Aquanaut. There's absolutely nothing more comfortable, IMO, and it actually looks fine IRL.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I think faux lume as an actual colour. In a lot of cases it’s what makes vintage special and as it won’t fade on modern watches it’s not really fake, it’s just a choice.
    That's fine but they should have thought about the date wheel & frame which being stark white sticks out like a sore thumb, having bothered to match the bezel nicely. I like the colour, just not the inconsistency. Everything else looks great based on that wrist shot.

The Blancpain tropic rivals even the rubber used by Patek on the Aquanaut. There's absolutely nothing more comfortable, IMO, and it actually looks fine IRL.
    Anyone know who makes the tropic for BP?

Agreed - the BP Tropic is very nicely made and very comfortable. One of the few straps I've had where the strap and keepers stay in the same, correct position throughout the day, somehow. I'd be interested to know if it's made by a separate manufacturer too - I'd be interested in checking out their other stuff if so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    While 40mm to me sounds to small, I have to admit that this looks nigh on perfect!
    This is the 40mm on my 17cm wrist. For me it was too small. Now if they made a 42mm..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is the 40mm on my 17cm wrist. For me it was too small. Now if they made a 42mm..
    That looks pretty much spot on to me, though can see a 42mm working as a diver.
    I like smaller watches on the whole though, especially of late. I've got a 39.5mm microbrand diver on the way in a few months so I guess I'll see if I still feel the same way on the wrist.

Master
    Milspec 40mm on my 7" wrist. Does feel a bit small tbh...

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the logo on the dial of that one and what is it’s significance?

Master
    Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the logo on the dial of that one and what is it’s significance?
    Water ingress indicator spec'd for military use.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Water ingress indicator spec'd for military use.
    Thanks.

I think the size looks good.

Master
    Thanks.

I think the size looks good.
    Cheers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

That in no way looks too small.

Master
    Compared to the 43mm Deep Sea:

Master
    I think people over think size, the current case size is 40.4, would an extra 1.6mm make a huge difference.

I think people over think size, the current case size is 40.4, would an extra 1.6mm make a huge difference.
    Would 2 extra inches in the waistband of your trousers make much difference? :)

Sometimes it does matter, which is why folk really need to try watches on.

The measurement like Rolex is taken off the bezel, however in the 40mm FF’s it overhangs case, so the actual mid case is smaller, combined with short lugs it wears small.
    Compared to a 16600 (39-ish mm it looks smaller)

Omega IIRC, measure off the mid case, which is why 39-42mm speedmasters all share the same bezels (could be wrong, but im sure they do)

Master
    Sometimes it does matter, which is why folk really need to try watches on.

The measurement like Rolex is taken off the bezel, however in the 40mm FF’s it overhangs case, so the actual mid case is smaller, combined with short lugs it wears small.
    Compared to a 16600 (39-ish mm it looks smaller)

Omega IIRC, measure off the mid case, which is why 39-42mm speedmasters all share the same bezels (could be wrong, but im sure they do)
    Do you mean Rolex take the bezel off to measure or the measurement is taken from the bezel?

I appreciate a small size can make a difference but most historically important divers are 40/41mm.

I have a Barakuda and it’s not small. It doesn’t fit well under a coat or jacket or even jumper. I thought the days of ‘statement pieces’ were over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That in no way looks too small.
    this 39mm one, in my opinion fits just right. Compare with the FF 40mm - because of the bezel size just feels disproportionate- IMHO

Compared to the 43mm Deep Sea:
    I know this is a FF thread but the JLC Deep Sea Chrono is my dream heritage diver. As you were

Craftsman
    Lug length is massively important as well. Style also plays a part i.e divers wear smaller because the watch face is smaller. You can't take bezel diameter in isolation.

Photos also generally make watches look bigger than in the metal, however I think they better reflect the size they look from a 3rd party perspective.

Do you mean Rolex take the bezel off to measure or the measurement is taken from the bezel?

I appreciate a small size can make a difference but most historically important divers are 40/41mm.

I have a Barakuda and it’s not small. It doesn’t fit well under a coat or jacket or even jumper. I thought the days of ‘statement pieces’ were over.
    Rolex measurements are bezel diameter, as are Blancpains,
    Omega measures off the widest point of the case
    AP horzontally across the bezel

Point being all measurements need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Alot of factors, case style, case shape, lug length, thickness, dial to bezel ratio, height to width ratio, and most importantly where these measurements are taken from, all affect how a watch visually wears.

Size comparison pic i took.

No entirely sure what your point your were trying to make about “statement pieces”?
    Surely 12k on a “dive” watch is a statement in itself, or is it you need a better tailor lol :p
    Last edited by endo; 16th March 2021 at 00:04.

Perfect size for me. Nice release imo.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The mil-spec instantly looks larger when on a thicker strap. The OEM sailcloth is too slim for it imo.
    BP got it right with the tropic on the Barakuda and this one. Its a great strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The mil-spec instantly looks larger when on a thicker strap. The OEM sailcloth is too slim for it imo.
    BP got it right with the tropic on the Barakuda and this one. Its a great strap.
    I think the milspec looks better on the bracelet, removing the 'black' slimming effect.

I think the milspec looks better on the bracelet, removing the 'black' slimming effect.
    or modified Everest to take curved spring bars (due to the lack of space due to the super short lugs)

*there is a similar strap "integrated" nylon strap, availiable for the 2000s Blancpain Leman which shares the same midcase as the 40mm FF
    But seeing as it took to 2 years to get a longer sailcloth strap made (long story),i never bothered pursuing it hard after not hearing back about it.

Last edited by endo; 16th March 2021 at 17:59.

Master
    or modified Everest to take curved spring bars (due to the lack of space due to the super short lugs)

*there is a similar strap "integrated" nylon strap, availiable for the 2000s Blancpain Leman which shares the same midcase as the 40mm FF
    But seeing as it took to 2 years to get a longer sailcloth strap made (long story),i never bothered pursuing it hard after not hearing back about it.

I remember the crap they put you through and I'm not surprised you didn't pursue it Mike! That's a very nice strap though, would the sailcloth curved bars work with that I wonder...

These FF's are things of beauty and I now have a hankering for the No Rads!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do have the bracelet John and will put it on, except its hobbit length and looking at two enormous push pin things that I assume should go through the lugs I decided to wait until im back in central London and then drop it into Bond Street.
    No idea were to start with sizing and affixing it and I suspect that my usual method of deep breath and then wrestle spring bars until I win is possibly not the best idea on a fully polished case :D

Master
    I do have the bracelet John and will put it on, except its hobbit length and looking at two enormous push pin things that I assume should go through the lugs I decided to wait until im back in central London and then drop it into Bond Street.
    No idea were to start with sizing and affixing it and I suspect that my usual method of deep breath and then wrestle spring bars until I win is possibly not the best idea on a fully polished case :D
    I took the bracelet off the other day using a pin pusher but I wouldn't want to try and put it back on. The pin and tube assembly means I would almost certainly feck it up. The sailcloth went on with springbars.

Oh, and I tried to get Laings and CH to size the bracelet. Laings couldn't as it requires special tooling and CH would have to measure my wrist then send it all away to be done!

Master
    I never put it on the bracelet C and not sure if Nick or Kash did either.
    I disagree with John and think it suits a material strap.
    I really like the canvas but it was small.
    Mikes everest looks great with it.

I remember the crap they put you through and I'm not surprised you didn't pursue it Mike! That's a very nice strap though, would the sailcloth curved bars work with that I wonder...

These FF's are things of beauty and I now have a hankering for the No Rads!!!
    I gave you curved bars didn't I? Those aren't stock LOL.
    If that's the case, same bars, but it requires modding the strap which takes a straight bar, and melting a new pathway in the correct postion so it fits flush.... by no means for the faint hearted at £160 a pop, luckily still fits a Rolex

If you get it on the sailcloth it comes with those annoying friction pins, first thing that went.
    I can't remember if i tried substituting those pins with 1.5mm/1.6mm spring bars, to fit the bracelet, i'd need to check the parts bin though. Eitherway the bracelet wasnt my bag

Do you need the bracelet sized, fitted.?
    I have the tools, but its a time consuming ballache cos of the tiny screws, wouldn't let CH size it LOL, but if you need help, i can pop round when Sturgeon lets us out :/

The size is great and, as with many Blancpain, the relatively short lugs make it look neater/more refined than many of its competitors. I agree that more thought could have been put into the date wheel and window frame, but they could also have done something to tone down the white of the hands.

Still, wouldn't say no - I like the watch but not the price, but that is no surprise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I never put it on the bracelet C and not sure if Nick or Kash did either.
    I disagree with John and think it suits a material strap.
    I really like the canvas but it was small.
    Mikes everest looks great with it.
    I think it does suit the strap, just looks smaller methinks.

Master
    I gave you curved bars didn't I? Those aren't stock LOL.
    If that's the case, same bars, but it requires modding the strap which takes a straight bar, and melting a new pathway in the correct postion so it fits flush.... by no means for the faint hearted at £160 a pop, luckily still fits a Rolex

If you get it on the sailcloth it comes with those annoying friction pins, first thing that went.
    I can't remember if i tried substituting those pins with 1.5mm/1.6mm spring bars, to fit the bracelet, i'd need to check the parts bin though. Eitherway the bracelet wasnt my bag

Do you need the bracelet sized, fitted.?
    I have the tools, but its a time consuming ballache cos of the tiny screws, wouldn't let CH size it LOL, but if you need help, i can pop round when Sturgeon lets us out :/
    You did mate, that's what I used.

Erm, I think I'll leave well alone for a while...just in case I bugger something and can't sell it back to you!!

You did mate, that's what I used.

Erm, I think I'll leave well alone for a while...just in case I bugger something and can't sell it back to you!!
    Just call it patina, makes it worth $$$$$