closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiesta died after 2 weeks and 530 miles after purchase, advice needed

I stand corrected, good luck to the OP

Craftsman
    Hi gents

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Someone who works for a Ford dealership got in touch with me yesterday after seeing my eBay add telling me that I should be able to get a new engine for free from Ford and his dealership do loads every week.
    I almost couldn’t believe it, if true what a result.
    I searched on owners groups etc and then went direct to Fords own website, and I’m cutting and pasting the applicable part below, mine isn’t subject to the FSA but seems to be covered

If your vehicle is not affected by Field Service Action 4S615, but you have a 1.0L EcoBoost vehicle and have experienced engine damage as a result of loss of coolant and subsequent engine overheating then your vehicle will also be covered by the goodwill support programme set out below.

2. Who will pay for my vehicle to be repaired?
    With any future cases, subject to being assessed and linked to potential 1.0L engine overheating, we will make a 100% goodwill contribution to the cost of a repair at a Ford dealer, in full and final settlement.
    In the past, Ford has made substantial contributions towards the cost of 1.0L repairs, but not always 100%. We have listened to our customers and we will now go further. We will re-examine previous cases to ensure that this policy of a 100% goodwill contribution to the repair cost is applied consistently.
    This goodwill support program applies to all 1.0L engines that have experienced engine damage as a result of loss of coolant and subsequent engine overheating. It is not restricted by model. It also applies to vehicles affected by Field Service Action 4S615, even if a repair has already been carried out by a Ford Authorised Repairer.

Wish me luck chaps

Master
    good luck!

What a result, if that's the case - good luck. I found it a tad weird that Ford scours eBay offering warranty replacement engines (i.e. at their expense), but maybe more sense, albeit a tad underhand perhaps, for the dealership (they presumably are paid by Ford for the work).

Good result if it comes off.

The seller will be relieved :)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Good result if it comes off.

The seller will be relieved :)
    Or they might even be a little miffed that they did not realise they could've had a new engine in it for free!

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Or they might even be a little miffed that they did not realise they could've had a new engine in it for free!
    Only if it failed in their possession, which might never have happened or they might have to wait for ages.

Craftsman
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Only if it failed in their possession, which might never have happened or they might have to wait for ages.
    Well, a free set of replacement hoses then :)

Master
    Fingers crossed! That would be an epic outcome.

Master
    Great news OP.

Did the seller ever get back to you? Did you try phoning him?

Master
    Following the thread with interest as my son in law has this engine in a 2014 fiesta...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Great news OP. Did the seller ever get back to you? Did you try phoning him?
    Great news indeed! Well done. Will you offer the seller some more money now the car will be worth a lot more with a replacement engine fitted by Ford

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Great news OP.

Did the seller ever get back to you? Did you try phoning him?
    No on both counts.

I’m somewhere between hope and fear at the moment. All going well the car will go into my local dealership next week, and I’ll update the thread with any developments.

I just wanted to say that all the outpourings of support and goodwill really touched me. This forum really is the best thing on the internet as far as I’m concerned.

Master
    It’s a difficult scenario as I can actually see both sides of this, though I do think the decent thing would have been to at least respond to you.

Best of luck and I really hope this works out well for you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    No on both counts.

I’m somewhere between hope and fear at the moment. All going well the car will go into my local dealership next week, and I’ll update the thread with any developments.

I just wanted to say that all the outpourings of support and goodwill really touched me. This forum really is the best thing on the internet as far as I’m concerned.

No on both counts.

Fingers crossed for you - I really hope it works out.

Master
    Brilliant news! Well done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A huge amount of heartache and inconvenience but at least you can see an resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    It’s a difficult scenario as I can actually see both sides of this, though I do think the decent thing would have been to at least respond to you.

Best of luck and I really hope this works out well for you :-)
    I can see both sides also. Saying that I don't think the seller is under any obligation to help out with the cost after more than 500 miles have been covered, but replying definitely would have been the right thing to do even if it doesn't actually change anything for the OP.
    Great that a very satisfactory result is looking likely though, hope it works out OP.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great news OP hope everything goes well

Seller may not be able to reply thinking about Covid etc. at the moment. Either way, agree it’s not for the seller to resolve as it’s an unfortunate coincidence, and happy to see Ford step in for Op.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I can see both sides also. Saying that I don't think the seller is under any obligation to help out with the cost after more than 500 miles have been covered, but replying definitely would have been the right thing to do even if it doesn't actually change anything for the OP.
    Great that a very satisfactory result is looking likely though, hope it works out OP.
    Replying is only the 'right thing to do' if he thinks that the buyer isn't 'at it'

Sometimes, if you know you have not been involved in any subterfuge - is to not engage.

The most I would ever say to the buyer in this instance - is "Sorry to hear that - the car gave no indication of a problem in the XXX miles I had it." (but even that, I would be hesitant as it might appear I was agreeable to some sort of further dialog.)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Do your research Ally, and it should be fine. Buy from a dealer and 3-month legal warranty if it goes kaput.
    I think it's 6 month.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Following the thread with interest as my son in law has this engine in a 2014 fiesta...
    One other issue with these engines are related to the wet timing belt . After time the debris blocks the oil pick up pipe. If your oil light stays on for more than a few seconds on a cold start get it to a garage and get the sump off and get the oil pickup cleaned . Costs a few hundred quid at most but saves oil starvation and turbo bearings

Hi gents

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Someone who works for a Ford dealership got in touch with me yesterday after seeing my eBay add telling me that I should be able to get a new engine for free from Ford and his dealership do loads every week.
    I almost couldn’t believe it, if true what a result.
    I searched on owners groups etc and then went direct to Fords own website, and I’m cutting and pasting the applicable part below, mine isn’t subject to the FSA but seems to be covered

If your vehicle is not affected by Field Service Action 4S615, but you have a 1.0L EcoBoost vehicle and have experienced engine damage as a result of loss of coolant and subsequent engine overheating then your vehicle will also be covered by the goodwill support programme set out below.

2. Who will pay for my vehicle to be repaired?
    With any future cases, subject to being assessed and linked to potential 1.0L engine overheating, we will make a 100% goodwill contribution to the cost of a repair at a Ford dealer, in full and final settlement.
    In the past, Ford has made substantial contributions towards the cost of 1.0L repairs, but not always 100%. We have listened to our customers and we will now go further. We will re-examine previous cases to ensure that this policy of a 100% goodwill contribution to the repair cost is applied consistently.
    This goodwill support program applies to all 1.0L engines that have experienced engine damage as a result of loss of coolant and subsequent engine overheating. It is not restricted by model. It also applies to vehicles affected by Field Service Action 4S615, even if a repair has already been carried out by a Ford Authorised Repairer.

Wish me luck chaps
    Sounds promising, fingers crossed for you.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Really hope it comes through for you, while its difficult expecting something from the owner after 500 miles lets hope Ford do you well..

Good luck - I hope it all works out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Have you thought about getting a lottery ticket?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'd imagine it would need a full ford service history for that to happen, I don't believe this is the case with this vehicle.
    I wouldn’t be to sure, I had a focus engine replaced at 85,000 by Ford and it hadn’t seen a Ford dealer in years, even though they said it was oil starvation they still changed it FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Its sad that the ecoboost reputation has been tarnished by these coolant system faults it's a great little engine, wife had one in her fiesta a few years ago and i thought it was great.
    I know and have worked with most of the cooling system component engineers at Dunton and i'm really surprised that things like nylon coolant hoses could ever have been passed, knowing how thorough them and their testing procedures are on the bits i worked on though the original ecoboost was a touch before my time, i've done stuff on the newer 1.0 ecoboost, 1.5l 3cyl ecoboost and 2.0L diesel ecoblue

Master
    Any update?

Craftsman
    An update

Firstly the seller got in touch and asked what he could do to help. I explained that I was hoping to get a replacement engine from Ford and thanked him for reaching out.

The car went to my local Ford dealership today. I met with the assistant service
    Manager who phoned me back within an hour of dropping the car off saying that there was water everywhere where it shouldn’t be and I would be getting a new bare engine free of charge as the head gasket had failed.
    I will be liable for any ancillaries which may need to be changed (clutch and turbo were mentioned), but if they are good then I will be getting it back shortly with a brand new engine with nothing to pay.

To say I’m over the moon is an understatement. Ford charge £5,500 for this.

Thanks guys for all of the support.

Fiesta died after 2 weeks and 530 miles after purchase, advice needed

An update

Firstly the seller got in touch and asked what he could do to help. I explained that I was hoping to get a replacement engine from Ford and thanked him for reaching out.

The car went to my local Ford dealership today. I met with the assistant service
    Manager who phoned me back within an hour of dropping the car off saying that there was water everywhere where it shouldn’t be and I would be getting a new bare engine free of charge as the head gasket had failed.
    I will be liable for any ancillaries which may need to be changed (clutch and turbo were mentioned), but if they are good then I will be getting it back shortly with a brand new engine with nothing to pay.

Nice result. While the engine is out it may be good to change the clutch anyway if the cost is mostly just the parts. Then you have peace of mind that you shouldn’t have any big jobs to do in the future.

I have had good experience with Ford. They replaced all door on my old Mondeo after some rust developed on the sills 4 years from new. No quibble.

Then, after all the work was done I promptly stoved it into another car, writing it off
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 22nd March 2021 at 21:30.

An update

They should offer a receipt if not ask for one. You will more than probably have to sign a disclaimer that this is the the last claim against that car

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Nice result. While the engine is out it may be good to change the clutch anyway if the cost is mostly just the parts. Then you have peace of mind that you shouldn’t have any big jobs to do in the future.
    Nice result indeed and a good advice re. the clutch.

I have had good experience with Ford. They replaced all door on my old Mondeo after some rust developed on the sills 4 years from new. No quibble.

Then, after all the work was done I promptly stoved it into another car, writing it off
    Definitely consider a clutch pack as will save you a lot of labour in the future. Great news Ford are replacing the engine.

Wow. I have a friend who has worked for Ford for 30 year's and also has a Fiesta. She turned up at my house the other day and I mentioned about the Fiesta fiasco but hers is Diesel so all OK there.
    She was telling me that the cost to Ford for each engine (bare block) is £1000.00 per unit But there are people on there 3rd and even forth engine. It seems that even after the exchange they pretty much all develope the same problem.
    Her advice was get it fixed and get rid because the chances are it could happen again.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Wow. I have a friend who has worked for Ford for 30 year's and also has a Fiesta. She turned up at my house the other day and I mentioned about the Fiesta fiasco but hers is Diesel so all OK there.
    She was telling me that the cost to Ford for each engine (bare block) is £1000.00 per unit But there are people on there 3rd and even forth engine. It seems that even after the exchange they pretty much all develope the same problem.
    Her advice was get it fixed and get rid because the chances are it could happen again.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app
    A little like my Mercedes A Class that I owned around 2000... 3 new engines within 5000 km! That 4th engine was good, the others scrap. Swarf had stayed behind when manufacturing the engine. It clogged up the oil distribution inside the engine. Mercedes tried to 'line up' chassis# and engine# as much as possible. As a result, the second and third engine were made in the same batch and had the same problem. The forth was from a later run - or perhaps even from another production line/third party supplier for Mercedes. That one worked fine.

Same with the Ford: when you don't tackle the problem itself, it will re-occur!

The seller has been open with you and helpful too it seems. Assuming all good between you now? Not a villain in any event

It's great news for the OP who must have been through weeks of stress over this.

I have a Fiesta with the same 1.0 turbo engine and hope this isn't a really common issue. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's ok at the moment but reading this thread is worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    but reading this thread is worrying.
    I presume worrying and reassuring at the same time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The seller has been open with you and helpful too it seems. Assuming all good between you now? Not a villain in any event
    I read it as being that the seller didn't get in touch until after there was the prospect of a Ford goodwill solution??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I know the early 1.0 ecoboost had a design fault with one of the cooling hoses most have been replaced are you sure it’s not this that’s gone rather than the head gasket
    My brother had this with his Focus. One of the pipes was placed where it just melted through, all the coolant was dumped, and it fried the engine. Ford were extremely unhelpful, but eventually they didn't pay the full cost, but were out of pocket several grand, as well as having no car for months.

Fiesta died after 2 weeks and 530 miles after purchase, advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I read it as being that the seller didn't get in touch until after there was the prospect of a Ford goodwill solution??
    Not sure. Intention was to word my post as a question. Not my finest work

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Not sure. Intention was to word my post as a question. Not my finest work
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    It's great news for the OP who must have been through weeks of stress over this.

I have a Fiesta with the same 1.0 turbo engine and hope this isn't a really common issue. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's ok at the moment but reading this thread is worrying.
    I had a 1.0 ecoboost engined fiesta and after 3 years on a pcp I was really keen to buy it, but did a bit of internet research and came across a few stories. A friend whose son headed up the mechanics at a local Ford dealership took me to one side and said ‘whatever you do don’t buy that car, at some random point the engine will go pop - my son has seen no end of them’ - ultimately I liked the car but just got rid, there are plenty of small hatchback alternatives.

Yes I guess - one of the best things about this forum is the wealth of knowledge and experiences that are shared. At least I have a resource to go to now if anything similar happens

I presume worrying and reassuring at the same time?

I have an extended warranty on the car and hopefully it will continue to behave. I had the choice between a Fiesta and Mazda 2 and went for the Fiesta for a few reasons - so far I don't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had a 1.0 ecoboost engined fiesta and after 3 years on a pcp I was really keen to buy it, but did a bit of internet research and came across a few stories. A friend whose son headed up the mechanics at a local Ford dealership took me to one side and said ‘whatever you do don’t buy that car, at some random point the engine will go pop - my son has seen no end of them’ - ultimately I liked the car but just got rid, there are plenty of small hatchback alternatives.

Master
    What a great result.

This is a very useful thread indeed. I like my Fords but had no idea these engines were so notorious. Thanks all.

Master
    A great result - I’ve a ‘15 plate 1.25 and love it (pimped ) as my friends say
    Great cars although I’ve been toying with getting a pick up lately