closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Dilemma

Rolex Dilemma

I bought my first Rolex in August last year.
    I enquired about an Explorer 1 and 5 days later I collected it and still haven't fallen out of love with it.

After a couple of months I asked to be put on the list for a ND Sub.
    I had read lots of horror stories of people being on the list for years and fancied a diver now! and so bought a 2004 SD 16600 on SC and have been delighted with it.

Two weeks ago out of the blue I got the call from the AD saying the ND Sub was ready for collection so I collected the watch and put my name down for a BLNR GMT Master II at the same time.
    Now I have a quandary. I have two very similar watches.

I didn't put my name down for the ND Sub with the intention of flipping it but ifI did sell it would it prejudice the GMT?
    If it would I would keep the ND.
    But to be honest deep down I think I prefer wearing the SD.

I could keep both of them but not sure I need two divers that look so similar.
    What to do?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin; 9th March 2021 at 18:09.

Tough choice but I think the Sub ND 41 is one of the best watches you can buy. If you have to sell one I would sell the SD 16600 personally (FWIW I've had both).

The SD 16600 is a great watch and true forum favourite but if you realise later you made the wrong choice it'll be much easier to replace the SD than the Sub.

Journeyman
    I would keep the sub no date...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Unless you need to free up some cash keep them both. They're as good as money in the bank.

I have a 16600 and love it, the fat 6 digit lugs and glossy ceramic do nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Unless you need to free up some cash keep them both. They're as good as money in the bank.
    Until they aren’t.

I’d probably keep the SD as the Explorer I has no date and I wouldn’t want a watch without one. A new date sub could have been the answer.

Sell the SD, as it’s easily replaceable.
    ( I also prefer the ND)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Until they aren’t.

I’d probably keep the SD as the Explorer I has no date and I wouldn’t want a watch without one. A new date sub could have been the answer.
    Both are nice, but the ND sub is so much nicer than the sub with date IMO.

I wouldn't be selling any Rolex sports watch unless I absolutely had to at the moment. Keep both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I had the same issue with a 14060 and then getting offered the 124060. Personally, I prefer the 124060 so sold the 14060.

If you prefer the SD then sell the 124060 and don’t feel guilty about it. It’s just a watch :)

Craftsman
    If you don’t want the Sub, I’ll give you what you paid for it right now ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tough choice but I think the Sub ND 41 is one of the best watches you can buy. If you have to sell one I would sell the SD 16600 personally (FWIW I've had both).

The SD 16600 is a great watch and true forum favourite but if you realise later you made the wrong choice it'll be much easier to replace the SD than the Sub.
    All of This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Yes, agreed. The Sub is far more comfortable for most people, too.

That said, I'd keep both for now, and perhaps until the GMT materialises.

Master
    Option 1) Keep both

Option 2)Keep Sub ND41

Thanks for the responses.
    It is nice when 'do nothing' seems to be the right answer!
    I think I will keep both for now.
    If and when the GMT comes along I will need to sell one of them as I wouldn't be able to justify two divers then.
    But that could be quite a while so I may as well enjoy them both until then.

I have found this process quite interesting and my experience with the AD seems at odds with what I have read elsewhere.
    I was told by a number of people that I had next to no chance of buying a Rolex SS Sports watch.
    I had no previous history with the AD and have managed to acquire two sports watches in 6 months and it has never been suggested that I might like to buy anything that I did not want.
    They have been nothing but professional and courteous.
    Last edited by Kevin; 9th March 2021 at 19:53.

The 16600, my favourite Rolex Diver...

but a very nice position to be in, with you having both.

I did daily a 114060 ND for several years but ended up selling and swapping it for the 14060M, I just find that the 5 digit divers hit the spot for me, that said the 6 digit stuff is amazing too and I could quite easily see myself wearing the new NDC as a daily as I'm sure it's screwed together like a tank.

Sorry I've been of no help to you whatsoever.

Journeyman
    I wouldn’t sell either unless I had to. Id prob move the SD on if and when the GMT becomes available- that Sub is a cracker

Rolex Dilemma

I’d try to keep both if I could as well.. both lovely watches. Although another option is to sell either and get a 4 digit Rolex, they are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

Blog Entries
    My old SD. Great dilema Kevin. I had the ceramic maxi case Sub before and no contest with SD. Will reserve my final position until I see one of the new subs

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    You’ll sell one of them. And why not....

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Until they aren’t.

You don’t think they’ll hold their value?

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    If you don’t want the Sub, I’ll give you what you paid for it right now ;-)

That took longer than I expected.......

Craftsman
    Ive just read the thread from the bottom up and am pleased that my initial thought of 'keep both for now' was a frequently expressed opinion.

You can live with both and when the GMT is ready you'll likely know what you want to leave behind.

I have a SD and an explorer 1 and love them both.

I'm pleased to hear your AD was able to find a watch for you fairly quickly.

Ive just enquired of the availability of the GMT master and was expecting a really long....years even....wait.

It would be great if one showed up within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    My old SD. Great dilema Kevin. I had the ceramic maxi case Sub before and no contest with SD. Will reserve my final position until I see one of the new subs

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Hi Michael, indeed it is the SD I got from you. It is a lovely watch and I enjoy it very much.
    Part of the issue is I think that I haven't worn the ND 41 since I bought it, it was sized for me and has been in the box since then. Mainly because I didn't want to mark it before I made a decision.
    I wore it in the house today and it is bigger than the SD but it sits lower and the angle of the lugs works well.

I think I need to wear the 124060 a bit more and put off making a decision until the GMT arrives which could be some time yet!

Craftsman
    Having currently owned multiple 5 digit. Seadweller s and currently sporting the new sub albeit a date not a no date with the balance of the case and new bracelet there is only one winner and it’s not the 5 digit seadweller

- - - Updated - - -

Having currently owned multiple 5 digit. Seadweller s and currently sporting the new sub albeit a date not a no date with the balance of the case and new bracelet there is only one winner and it’s not the 5 digit seadweller

As the saying goes "there are two types of people" - and I'm firmly in the new and improved camp. The movement, perfect case proportions, and glidelock clasp* make the new Submariner the hands-down winner for me. I fully appreciate there are folk who favour 5 digit models for very different reasons.

*also appreciate the clasp is rather large for some tastes.

No idea if it would help your position in respect of the GMT wait, but should you decide the Submariner must go, offering it back to the AD at cost might do wonders for your relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

I have found this process quite interesting and my experience with the AD seems at odds with what I have read elsewhere.
    I was told by a number of people that I had next to no chance of buying a Rolex SS Sports watch.
    I had no previous history with the AD and have managed to acquire two sports watches in 6 months and it has never been suggested that I might like to buy anything that I did not want.
    Completely agree. Most AD's are stuck in the middle of all this. They would love more Rolex watches to sell to their customers but can't get them. They also don't want to fall out with Rolex by selling to serial flippers so end up sticking to who they know most of the time. I've never once been asked to buy something I don't want in order to have a chance of buying something I do want and still can't belive people would actually do that.

Sent from my SM-T875 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Completely agree. Most AD's are stuck in the middle of all this. They would love more Rolex watches to sell to their customers but can't get them. They also don't want to fall out with Rolex by selling to serial flippers so end up sticking to who they know most of the time. I've never once been asked to buy something I don't want in order to have a chance of buying something I do want and still can't belive people would actually do that.
    COVID has also had an influence on production.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have a 16600 and love it, the fat 6 digit lugs and glossy ceramic do nothing for me.
    ^^^ This ^^^ Have just taken delivery of a 16600 myself.

Much as the new iterations are improvements over the previous 6 digit, for me they're still a tad overblown. Lugs are still too full, ceramic bezel still too shiny and the fat crown guards still look too heavy and ironically, appear to offer less protection to the crown than 5 digit models.

The only thing for me is the bracelet where an obvious and quantifiable improvement was made when the 6's were introduced. The 5 digit bracelets weren't broken but Rolex fixed them anyway.

Keep both, wait for the GMT then re-assess.

I'm in the minority here - I'd say keep the SD if you must sell one.

I had the 14060M six-liner before, and much prefer the 5 digits to the 6. Yes, there have been numerous technical improvements, but at the expense of charm and character.

If you want to try the ultimate SD - pop the glidelock bracelet on it. Purists may decry it, but mine is on one, and I don't think it can be bettered.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Easy choice really.

One is a very classy dive watch, the other is a Submariner.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

16600 for me! I adore mine, I’m not a fan of the scale of the new subs, the swollen hour markers kill it.

But it’s still a lovely watch, I agree with others though, you can easily replace the 16600.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think that maybe in a year or two it will be easier to replace the 1204060 as there seems plenty for sale now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ah we just love the smell of a Rolex dilemma...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    If you are not wearing the 124060 sell it - there are plenty on hear that would like one.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th March 2021 at 23:47.

Thank you everyone for all your comments.
    I have spent the last couple of days changing back and forth between the two.
    I have finally made up my mind.
    I am going to keep both watches, wear the 124060 for an extended period and get to know it better.
    I have no idea how long it will take to get the GMT but when the time comes I feel I will know whether the 16600 or the 124060 is the one for me.

Craftsman
    Thank you everyone for all your comments.
    I have spent the last couple of days changing back and forth between the two.
    I have finally made up my mind.
    I am going to keep both watches, wear the 124060 for an extended period and get to know it better.
    I have no idea how long it will take to get the GMT but when the time comes I feel I will know whether the 16600 or the 124060 is the one for me.
    This is the best idea IMO, sell it if needs must but otherwise keep both and enjoy

Thanks for the responses.
    It is nice when 'do nothing' seems to be the right answer!
    I think I will keep both for now.
    If and when the GMT comes along I will need to sell one of them as I wouldn't be able to justify two divers then.
    But that could be quite a while so I may as well enjoy them both until then.

Definitely odd experience, but glad that sometime somewhere the purchase process works as it should: inquire, wait a reasonable amount of time, buy and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Easy choice really.

One is a very classy dive watch, the other is a Submariner.
    Which is which ?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I’m trying to persuade my best mate to invest in one he’s inherited 90k and I told him to spend a chunk on some sentiment......not sure he’s buying it

Master
    I'm beginning to think I have inadvertently p!ssed off my AD. Heard nowt for 4/5 years despite (modest, by TZ standards) history with them and regularly sticking my head round there door to remind them I still exist.

I'm an SD fanboy so would make that the keeper. You don't see many out and about. You would presumably make a decent turn on the Sub but not the SD - if that is a significant factor.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'm beginning to think I have inadvertently p!ssed off my AD. Heard nowt for 4/5 years despite (modest, by TZ standards) history with them and regularly sticking my head round there door to remind them I still exist.

I'm an SD fanboy so would make that the keeper. You don't see many out and about. You would presumably make a decent turn on the Sub but not the SD - if that is a significant factor.
    One thing I found with the AD was that if you were on a list for a model which was discontinued you did not automatically get transferred to the list for the new model.
    I was on the list for a 114060 which was discontinued. After I moved house it was only by chance when I rang the AD to ask if they needed my new address for the warranty on my Explorer, (they didn't), that I asked if the list moved over to the new model. They told me it didn't and I had to ask to go on the list for the 124060.

You may well be aware of this, but without that conversation I would still be waiting for a watch that would never come.

Quote Originally Posted by dade.c View Post
    Definitely odd experience ...
    Only in the arse-upwards world of Rolex would being treated as a valued customer when making a luxury purchase be considered "odd"!

I swapped my 5 month old 41mm no date for a 14060M. Straight swap no extra cash for him or me.

It just didn't click with me & since I missed my previous 14060M so much I did a swap with an acquaintance who had a minty full set one.

I use to have the same SD but found it a bit too top heavy for me. So if I were in the same situation as the OP then the SD would be the one to go.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    One thing I found with the AD was that if you were on a list for a model which was discontinued you did not automatically get transferred to the list for the new model.
    Fair point! Think ADs must have different practices. I was surprised last year when posters here were saying they’d been offered a (new model) no date when “listed” for a date Sub - or vice versa.

Maybe I accidentally put my name down for a Hans Wilsdorf which is why I don’t get offered any Rolex!!
    Last edited by David_D; 16th March 2021 at 00:14.

Isn't that the point where you express your dissatisfaction to them politely but firmly and take your future business elsewhere? (that point may have been a few years ago even )

I really can't see why you'd bother buying anything else from them personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Isn't that the point where you express your dissatisfaction to them politely but firmly and take your future business elsewhere? (that point may have been a few years ago even )

I really can't see why you'd bother buying anything else from them personally.
    Difficult to disagree. I’m not that bothered but the whole Rolex supply business is crazy. May well start a fresh relationship when lockdown ends.

Master

Most of them weren’t that hard to get 4/5 years ago so that’s quite odd. I’d ask them outright why you’ve not been allocated a single watch in all that time - you’ve nothing to lose now.

I picked up a new Rolex recently. I asked the AD the question. On the watch I bought, I was told they had in excess of 1500 enquiries. Obviously taken at their word but that would probably be why there is an issue with some supply if it’s similar at each location.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    I picked up a new Rolex recently. I asked the AD the question. On the watch I bought, I was told they had in excess of 1500 enquiries. Obviously taken at their word but that would probably be why there is an issue with some supply if it’s similar at each location.
    I suspect 1,400 of the 1,500 are very speculative. The prospect of getting a “product” on which you can immediately make up to £5-10,000 profit makes it worthwhile for people to trawl.

A couple of years ago I was told my AD was getting calls from people literally 200 miles away.

As others have said, if the OP can hold onto both his new Sub and his SD, financially it probably makes sense.