closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Abarth 595 any owners

Abarth 595 any owners

Thanks to another thread in G&D I'm now looking at a small fun car. Are there any owners here that could share their thoughts? The model I'm looking at is a 2016 and looks to have a good spec with apple car play

Which 2016 spec is it? standard 595, Turismo or Comp?

All fun angry little cars that you have trouble driving normally. ;)

The only main thing to check is the boot wiring, which is known to go brittle over time.

Fish

Do you know a good mechanic?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Which 2016 spec is it? standard 595, Turismo or Comp?

All fun angry little cars that you have trouble driving normally. ;)

The only main thing to check is the boot wiring, which is known to go brittle over time.

Fish
    This is the one I'm interested in and I think it's a standard 595 https://visioncarsales.co.uk/vehicle...barth-500-595/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Do you know a good mechanic?
    Fortunatley yes I do

Looking at its MOT history, factor in a set of tyres as they've been mentioned last year and this....

Cheers,

Adam.

Mrs Goat is on her second one
    Both bought brand new - first one did approx 28k miles in 3 years, that one was a standard car but with leather trim.
    Current one is a 2018 595 Trofeo- more power and better suspension ...epic fun.
    Both utterly trouble free, neither has drunk one cc of oil.
    Great fun but suspension a little firm, the second one was to have been a competizione but after a test drive it was discounted as being just too crashy on the suspension- more power again but just too firm for us.
    One recall done free in about 20 mins...
    Pretty good on fuel if you’re not going mad- she reckons early 40’s mpg
    Big service is dearer than you might think at £385 plus, smaller one not too bad.
    Very pleased really, and believe me, I’m pretty critical when it comes to cars.
    Don’t think I’ve ever had so many smiles and grins from lady drivers when I drive it!- really.

Abarth 595 any owners

Have had an Abarth 500 for seven years now. I’ve had some minor niggles but I’ve sorted them myself and I’m no mechanic. I service religiously every year and wherever possible subscribe to preventative maintenance which helps.

I’d find it hard to use it as a daily car and longer journeys can be a little taxing. That said they are a real hoot. Came from running high powered Imprezas and the like and had a clean licence for the best part of 15 years. Had three points within three months.

Things to look out for IME:

Wiring loom in the tailgate can weaken and break causing boot and rear numberplate issues. New looms can be fitted but it’s usually just a wire that needs a re solder if you have the patience to locate the fault.

Door handles and hinges can and will snap. Hinge is a more common failure. £10 fix and half hour of your time.

Side skirts coming away from body especially near the front wheels.

Windscreen scuttle panel can warp and cause fixing bracket at the corners to break. Literally a few pound to fix.

Top mount cups rust even with the covers fitted. More of a cosmetic issue and can be replaced cheaply. Share the same part as the Ford Ka and from memory are approximately £40 for the pair.

Some of the rubber hoses like most cars can perish and split especially by the clamps. Had a minor boost and coolant leak over the years.

Moisture can build up under the oil cap if it’s sat or used for short journeys. Don’t panic if you see any “mayo”. Buyers understandably worry and think it’s the head gasket on its way out. Usually just needs a wipe and a good run.

Errors on the dash relating to Hill start, power steering, abs on start up point to low voltage on the battery rather than anything expensive. Trickle charger or a good run sorts it.

Standard back box can rust through. Newer models have the stainless Monza systems but the flaps can seize closed. Many chose to just have them wired open.

Rear subframe axle rusts. Tends be cosmetic and nothing to worry about but can be removed and powder coated or replaced relatively cheaply.

I have the non Brembo brake set up so discs and pads are inexpensive. The floating two piece Brembos are £500 plus. Not sure whether alternatives are available but something to consider if you go for one with the bigger brakes.

No security. Get some. These go missing for fun.

Probably looks daunting but cost wise, aside from annual services and consumables I think I’ve spent less than £2k in seven years. My Polo has cost more in twelve months.

Bouncy suspension can be improved with £25 bump stops from the Fiat Coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RLE; 9th March 2021 at 20:04.

So apart from all that they’re very reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Have had an Abarth 500 for seven years now. I’ve had some minor niggles but I’ve sorted them myself and I’m no mechanic. I service religiously every year and wherever possible subscribe to preventative maintenance which helps.

I’d find it hard to use it as a daily car and longer journeys can be a little taxing. That said they are a real hoot. Came from running high powered Imprezas and the like and had a clean licence for the best part of 15 years. Had three points within three months.

Things to look out for IME:

Wiring loom in the tailgate can weaken and break causing boot and rear numberplate issues. New looms can be fitted but it’s usually just a wire that needs a re solder if you have the patience to locate the fault.

Door handles and hinges can and will snap. Hinge is a more common failure. £10 fix and half hour of your time.

Side skirts coming away from body especially near the front wheels.

Windscreen scuttle panel can warp and cause fixing bracket at the corners to break. Literally a few pound to fix.

Top mount cups rust even with the covers fitted. More of a cosmetic issue and can be replaced cheaply. Share the same part as the Ford Ka and from memory are approximately £40 for the pair.

Some of the rubber hoses like most cars can perish and split especially by the clamps. Had a minor boost and coolant leak over the years.

Moisture can build up under the oil cap if it’s sat or used for short journeys. Don’t panic if you see any “mayo”. Buyers understandably worry and think it’s the head gasket on its way out. Usually just needs a wipe and a good run.

Errors on the dash relating to Hill start, power steering, abs on start up point to low voltage on the battery rather than anything expensive. Trickle charger or a good run sorts it.

Standard back box can rust through. Newer models have the stainless Monza systems but the flaps can seize closed. Many chose to just have them wired open.

Rear subframe axle rusts. Tends be cosmetic and nothing to worry about but can be removed and powder coated or replaced relatively cheaply.

I have the non Brembo brake set up so discs and pads are inexpensive. The floating two piece Brembos are £500 plus. Not sure whether alternatives are available but something to consider if you go for one with the bigger brakes.

No security. Get some. These go missing for fun.

Probably looks daunting but cost wise, aside from annual services and consumables I think I’ve spent less than £2k in seven years. My Polo has cost more in twelve months.

Bouncy suspension can be improved with £25 bump stops from the Fiat Coupe.

Have a look at this: https://www.whatcar.com/abarth/595/h.../review/n17259

they didn't seem too impressed with it.

The Up GTi is a rival and it's quite easy to get from 115bhp to 140bhp in the VW and this is equivalent to the Fiat.

I have an up GTi and I'm at 21,000 miles and I've had zero issues with it. It's beautifully put together.

just saying, consider the rivals,

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So apart from all that they’re very reliable?
    The post was intended to help a perspective purchaser look for potential issues. The list was by no means exclusive to problems that I’ve had with my car. As I mentioned my bills for work outside the usual suspects in seven years is less than £1500.00. £200.00 per year on an eleven year old vehicle is good going in my book especially considering the nature of a turbo tuned unit in such a small place.

Yet to get any £500.00 bills to get it through an MOT, so more reliable than that Xsara Picasso you had. 😉

Haha, fair play to your memory! I scrapped the Picasso. To be fair, I didn't spend £2k on it in ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    The post was intended to help a perspective purchaser look for potential issues. The list was by no means exclusive to problems that I’ve had with my car. As I mentioned my bills for work outside the usual suspects in seven years is less than £1500.00. £200.00 per year on an eleven year old vehicle is good going in my book especially considering the nature of a turbo tuned unit in such a small place.

Yet to get any £500.00 bills to get it through an MOT, so more reliable than that Xsara Picasso you had. 

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Haha, fair play to your memory! I scrapped the Picasso. To be fair, I didn't spend £2k on it in ten years.
    Glad you took my post as the lighthearted response it was intended to be.

I think we have all been there with big bills, and I have done my fair share of cutting my losses. Coming from modified jap motors I’m just relieved to get to the end of the year without huge expenses to replace updated turbos and ecu’s etc. Mind you last months bill from VW was £800 for various gremlins so that Picasso actually looks like cheap motoring on reflection 😂.

Any savings in petrol costs working from home appear to be absorbed by ongoing maintenance costs. Sat on the drive not getting used clearly does them no favours.

Seen a few of these stolen in my area so might be an idea to put a good steering lock on it.

Craftsman
    Brilliant car but with the worst driving position of any car I’ve owned. I’m 6 foot 3 and found the Sabelts very uncomfortable, combined with the lack of seat height adjustment and reach adjustment on the steering wheel. Sounded superb also.

I've had 3 Abarths and they always made me grin, the last was a 595 competition cabriolet. Wife and daughter weren't keen on the comfort level but I loved them. I only swapped it to get a 5l mustang convertible but I'd still be tempted to get another.

Fiat and Citroen should have gone out of business, thats how bad they are.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should go and view this week and will report back if I go ahead

Craftsman
    My wife fancied one moving over from a Cooper S. Neither of us could get comfortable - the seats simply don't go down enough with the way the seat runners are mounted so I felt on it not in it. This also made the knee to wheel angel and distance totally wrong - I'm tall so YMMV. The suspension is on a whole other level of crashy coming from a Cooper S which is pretty well balanced. Mrs AA couldn't live with it at all so we bought another MINI. See if you can do a long mixed drive like we did - we had ours on a 24 hour loan. I love the idea of it but regardless of potential for in-service grief, it was impossible for us to live with.

Journeyman
    I was looking at those too, great deals to be had on pre-reg Turismo versions at the moment.
    We are running a 500 at the moment and it has had minor issues with suspensions and some minor electrical stuff (tailgate loom) but nothing big, currently on 88,000miles so a reliable little trooper.

The one you're looking at has not got apple carplay, you need the larger display for that and from what I know it appeared first in 2017

I drive a 2011 595C with flappy paddle box as my daily beater. I've had the tailgate wiring issue, the external doorhandle breakage, cracked windscreen from a tiny stonechip on the motorway, and occasional gearbox warning light during 200+ mile journeys. The airbag / seatbelt warning lights are on, I'm told this is down to a faulty ecu under the passenger seat triggered after hitting a big pothole. The exhaust has cosmetic rust and I've been through quite a few tyres.
    I really enjoy driving the car. Visibility is a little restricted by wide pillars, fuel economy is not great, but pressing the sport button turns it into a mini-hooligan! 😈 I am more scared I'll get points on my licence in this than the other sportier cars in my stable! 😜
    I'd certainly have another, wouldn't mind a Competizione or Biposto...
    MW

I went to see the one linked to and decided to pass, it had an aftermarket induction kit & exhaust. The previous services were carried out by the previous owner so no stamped service book. Looking at a couple of others so hopefully soo I'll own one

I had one, loved it. Just needed a replacement coolant part (my mind has gone blank), common issue I think.

I had a 595 competizione for just over a year which was good fun. Loved the sabelt seats, the exhaust note from the monza exhaust and the handling..... but in the end I couldn't live with lack of seat height adjustability (none), only 5 gears, shocking headlights (really woeful), the cost (compared to what else you could get for the same money!), and I suppose the size, ride quality got to me too.