closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: online food shopping from Tesco, Waitrose etc

Journeyman

online food shopping from Tesco, Waitrose etc

just trying to gauge peoples experiences

due to health issues i have been alone self isolating for about a year

now i'm a very keen home home and used to shop daily for my ingredients - but in lockdown home delivery made a lot of sense

i set up a delivery every Tuesday from Waitrose and a Wednesday delivery from Tesco to cover any shortfall in my Waitrose delivery

my findings - despite putting a note in the 'box' saying long use by date Waitrose are bloody awful

eg todays delivery three packs of croissants to be used by tomorrow and very short dates on chicken and sea bream

ring Waitrose customer services and you get a refund - but thats no bloody use when you are planning a weeks meals

i have told Waitrose customer services that in these times the 'shelf pickers' are the public face of Waitrose and must step up to provide the service/quality that customers demand

Tesco site is far, far better giving 'set' use by dates for most products before you place an order

i ordered a turkey breast joint and was guaranteed 5 plus days use by date

wtf with premium prices can Waitrose not adopt a similar system?

your experiences/advice would be much appreciated
    Last edited by nick h; 9th March 2021 at 10:16.

That is the exact reason why I have shunned my offered slots. Although eligible, I would rather brave the covid-riddled throng at my local Sainsburys than have some disinterested person choose my ingredients.
    Also, as I am obviously able to shop myself (using a crutch if necessary) it releases a slot for those who absolutely can't shop themselves.
    Last edited by unclealec; 9th March 2021 at 10:19.

Master
    I've used both Waitrose and Sainsbury's. Similar experience to you with Waitrose. A lot of food arrived close to its use-by date. Refund wasn't an issue, but still annoying and wasteful. This is one of the reasons I rarely bother with online groceries. The other being the near impossibility of getting a delivery slot in my area. Sainsbury's were better on both accounts and a lifesaver on the two occasions the whole family had to isolate.

Master
    I'm not sure how these things really work but my wife bought a couple of steaks from Sainsbury's - they were for fajita's or burrito's so she ordered normal ones (not aged or Taste the Difference etc). Anyway when the order arrived instead of being say £10 for two it was something like £22 for two as it was their best steaks. As she was telling me this and I started to say 'what a con', she told me that the extra £12 is knocked off the next order. Which it was. So I was happy!

My information is of no real use here, but I thought I'd share it anyway :-)

Waitrose has indeed be average or less than, and Tesco has been superb: not once did they fail to read the notes on specific products and follow my requirements.
    Credit where credit is due, hats off to them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I held off using home deliveries for years because I prefer seeing and choosing what I'm buying, but last year we suddenly had so many commitments with the kids activities and whatever, that I had no time to shop so started getting deliveries.

I get a Sainsbury's drop off every Friday night and while there have been some 'funny' substitutions and some date issues, e.g. a pack of sausages that were 5 days out of date, last week a lamb joint that expired on the delivery day, and some fruit and veg can sometimes be same day, I just tell the driver, get refunded but get to keep the products if I want. The 5 days out of date sausages got binned by the driver and I complained and got £15.

It can be an arse when something vital is missing and you have to go to the shop anyway, and it's nearly always there on the shelf (?!?), but generally it's been pretty convenient.

It's also a massive relief waking up on Saturday knowing you don't have to do a two-hour shop.

I tried signing up with Morrisons and Waitrose for a change but there were no available slots for weeks so I stuck with Sainsbury's. I think it depends on your packer because some weeks is pretty much perfect and others not so …

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Waitrose has indeed be average or less than, and Tesco has been superb: not once did they fail to read the notes on specific products and follow my requirements.
    Credit where credit is due, hats off to them.
    i totally agree - Waitrose as a premium brand for online delivery falls well short of expected standards for a 'premium brand'

Tesco is far better in terms of date/price

Waitrose just like John Lewis cannot seem to move forward to meet consumer demands and expectations - they try and rely on their perceived image of the best for the 'upper class'

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I held off using home deliveries for years because I prefer seeing and choosing what I'm buying, but last year we suddenly had so many commitments with the kids activities and whatever, that I had no time to shop so started getting deliveries.

I get a Sainsbury's drop off every Friday night and while there have been some 'funny' substitutions and some date issues, e.g. a pack of sausages that were 5 days out of date, last week a lamb joint that expired on the delivery day, and some fruit and veg can sometimes be same day, I just tell the driver, get refunded but get to keep the products if I want. The 5 days out of date sausages got binned by the driver and I complained and got £15.

It can be an arse when something vital is missing and you have to go to the shop anyway, and it's nearly always there on the shelf (?!?), but generally it's been pretty convenient.

It's also a massive relief waking up on Saturday knowing you don't have to do a two-hour shop.

I tried signing up with Morrisons and Waitrose for a change but there were no available slots for weeks so I stuck with Sainsbury's. I think it depends on your packer because some weeks is pretty much perfect and others not so …
    and in a nutshell you have the answer - the pickers

John Lewis is on the way out - no more than a year i would guess
    Last edited by nick h; 9th March 2021 at 23:52. Reason: inappropriate comment removed

Im my experience of near a year with Tesco is that the bread and rolls are alomst always crushed,
    the dates are short ( the dates stated on their website are nonsense )
    the driver damaged my property and it was near impossible to get Testo to pay for it and i had to chase them for several weeks.
    errors or missing bits are common and you need to count and check everything.
    you phone a helpline and get refunds where needed ( which is almost every time lol )

on the plus side its nice to get it delivered

Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post
    and in a nutshell you have the answer - the pickers

my Waitrose has 90% plus Eastern Europeans - enough said - cheap labour and poor language skills?

John Lewis is on the way out - no more than a year i would guess
    Mmmm, not sure that Eastern Europeans are cheaper labour than any other labour – locals must get paid the same legal wage?

Can't comment on poor language skills, but a lack of care and stupidity isn't necessarily defined by nationality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have had Waitrose delivery for many years ,never had a problem.

All of our shopping over the Covid period has been home delivered by Waitrose. They have generally been fantastic in my experience, albeit delivery slots are often hard to come by. The delivery drivers have always helped with any issues and are always very pleasant too.

When our 'Use By' dates on products are a bit close to the line, Waitrose have given us the product for free - but not always, so it can be inconsistent - which I put down to being the individual staff member rather than store policy. Every store is different though and the management/training they receive obviously impacts on the service you receive as a customer.

We gave up shopping at Tescos years ago as the attitude of the staff in-store was awful, we often could only buy approx 50% of the items on our list and their fruit and veg was often rotten days before the Use By date anyway. Their home delivery was just as bad, they substituted fresh lemons once with lemon fairy liquid.

Ocado has moved from Waitrose to M&S now.

Master
    Substitute or missing items and sell by dates were always the issue when I tired it when Sainsburys first started. Tbh I've had no issues going to the shops during lock down anyway. Gives you an excuse to go out. The first lock down with queuing to get in was the worse. These days there can be just as many "pickers" as shoppers. With self scan and a list of what we want for a weeks menu me and the wife do a store each (M&S and Sainburys) and get it done in under an hour.

Master
    We use Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrison's.
    The sell by dates have been an issue with all stores in the past to be fair, but usually found a simple email to them has solved the problem.
    I suppose its the pickers that don't look at dates as much as the customer might.

I don't know if I'm maybe anti social but I'd much prefer to get a shop drop, than have to walk round one of those places with 300,000 other people.

My plan B would be a click and collect, anything to not have to walk through those doors.

Master
    We’ve used Ocado & Sainsbury’s for years - would much rather roll the dice on that than walk around a shop.

Ocado have generally been very good, although less keen after the switch to M&S. They do have a habit of packing fragile food (fruit, bread rolls, soft veg etc) at the bottom of a bag and throwing bottles and cans on top.

We have had some bizarre substitutions from Sainsbury’s, and some veg with same day best before (on a late evening delivery...), but otherwise not too bad.

Oh and they all have developed a recent habit of arriving up to an hour before the booked delivery slot...again not a huge deal, but I will be annoyed if I ever miss a delivery.

Master
    We have been doing online grocery shopping for many years (17 in fact, Ocado recently sent me a voucher for a bottle of wine to celebrate). I can’t imagine doing a big weekly shop in a supermarket now. Sure, in normal times we might pick up some bits and pieces like fresh fruit. Because of the shortage of delivery slots we make use of quite a few of the companies but Ocado is our preferred. They generally have far fewer missing items and substitutions than the others. Asda are the worst, they have cancelled the order on the day of delivery a couple of times now, supposedly because none of the items were available!

this made me laugh the other day:
    https://youtu.be/cFSjl9jMiGE
    Last edited by stuie-t; 9th March 2021 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    this made me laugh the other day:
    https://youtu.be/cFSjl9jMiGE
    That is so accurate!

We've been using Ocado for 11 years now. During the lockdowns we have never missed our weekly pre-booked slot, so I have every intention of remaining loyal to them. The change to M&S has brought some good points, such as Percy Pigs, better own-brand bread products and some of the chilled food that I would occasionally pick up if I was in an M&S food hall. Negatives are slightly more subs, but given the lockdown it's hard to say whether that's solely down to the switch from Waitrose.

Generally speaking I find that the dates for fresh produce is pretty good with Ocado. I'm not sure what has upset some folk in previous posts really. Waitrose and Tesco are not competing at the same end of the market, so if you want cheaper meat and veg with the attendant lower husbandry standards and poorer farmers, then just do your shopping at Tesco. There's a reason they have such a large market share and it is because they screw producers to satisfy the masses' demand for cheaper and cheaper food.

It’s the staff who have to pick the orders I feel sorry for. What a thankless job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Waitrose Click and collect should be called 50/50

Used Asda for the last 12 months. On the whole, they are pretty good, a few annoying missing items like milk which sort of defeats the object.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post
    my Waitrose has 90% plus Eastern Europeans - enough said
    Err, what exactly are you saying?

Master
    We've been very happy with Asda. Rarely more than two or three out of stock items on a £70 shop, subs are sensible if you select that option. A few times we have complained about short dated items via the web site and they have refunded every time.

We used to be dedicated Waitrose shoppers but struggled to get slots, Asda have won us over and we'll only be returning to Waitrose for top-ups.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Err, what exactly are you saying?
    i have edited my original post because on reflection it was an inappropriate comment - apologies

I've basically been a picker for my Mum and Dad once a week for the past year. It started off very early during the first lockdown when they couldn't get a delivery slot and shortages meant trawling a few shops to get what they needed. I saw how indiscriminate the supermarket pickers were in action, plus not being particularly careful about breathing all over the stock. I decided that it was safer if I did their shopping when I did our family big shop as I could select stuff from the back of the shelves and could also ensure decent use-by dates and choose sensible substitutes. I'm a dab hand at it now, Mum emails me their list which I print and check off although I swear she deliberately adds obscure items just to test my patience.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

OT but why the France do people click and collect? You drive to the store then stand waiting for boyo to appear with your bags! Either shop or get the van delivery! Weird.

I’m all for getting store cupboard stuff delivered if it’s dried/packet, or comes in a tin, jar or bottle. Ditto cleaning products, alcohol, and packaged dairy products.

Anything fresh I want to see and choose what I’m buying or source from a trusted local supplier. I appreciate that going out isn’t possible for everyone. We’ve had a couple of stints of self-quarantining in Malta so we’ve had to resort to supermarket deliveries but thankfully we have a butcher, corner shop and greengrocer a shout/phone call away.

Online is a very mixed bag (literally). Some of the kids doing it have little experience and just follow the tablet they carry as they push the baskets around the store.

I tend to do most of the shopping and have found over the years that we have to use a few establishments to get exactly what we like and want.

Asda - the online pickers are in store all day - which makes shopping a pain in the A. Going in store over recent months there have been lots of shelf gaps and sometimes zero stock of some items.

Sainsbury - much better, online pickers are off the 'shop floor' by mid morning, but for some reason we find some of the bread range a bit naff. Shelf stock 'in store' pretty decent.

Waitrose - never see the online pickers, but local to us it is very busy most of the time and we never managed to get a delivery slot, ever. Hardly go these days.

Aldi - Deliveroo is currently the only option, decent stock in store but limited choice (brand wise - but that is not their model). For the few items we like I call into the local store.

Tesco - we have no local one, so no experience.

Meat? - Local butcher every time!

I have time on my hands and much prefer to brave the experience and do the rounds to stock up.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 10th March 2021 at 00:45.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    It’s the staff who have to pick the orders I feel sorry for. What a thankless job.
    i find that a strange comment?

thankless - well you can hardly thank them as you don't know who has picked your order

its a job that is neither physically or intellectually challenging and is carried out in a warm comfortable environment

not been put on furlough unlike millions of others and due to the huge increase in online shopping demand there has been unlimited overtime and additional shifts if wanted

not forgetting all the online stores have employed a lot of new staff to meet increased demand

Journeyman
    some have mentioned the difficulty getting delivery slots and i agree but things changed for me when i got Priority Access at Waitrose due to being in the at risk group and with Tesco i subscribed to Delivery Saver scheme which gives priority slots and free delivery (currently i think its closed to new members?)

but i did anticipate that Covid 19 was going to be a problem when the majority were dismissing its likely impact so i got on the ladder at the beginning

i was also much to the laughs of others disinfecting my trolley handles before the uk had more than five cases

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    OT but why the France do people click and collect? You drive to the store then stand waiting for boyo to appear with your bags! Either shop or get the van delivery! Weird.
    2 reasons.
    1) lack of delivery slots. There are many, many more C&C slots
    2) when you arrive (on time) at the (Tesco) parking, you drive to a little hut at the other end, give your name and the green crates are brought to your car. It takes less than 5 minutes to load everything and no one is within 5 metres of you. You remained within touching distance of your car at all times.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Here’s a first world problem. I’m quite partial to the harvest grain bread from the Sainsbury’s bakery section. Back in the day I’d go in and grab a few loaves to stock up the freezer with, always asking for them to be sliced by the shop super slicer-o-matic machine.

Now we still get the bread in our delivery, but there’s no option to have it sliced. There follows several hours of erratic slicing, swearing, brushing the millions of tiny seeds out of every crevice in the kitchen, with the knowledge that any future sandwich is going to be a jaw-breaking disappointment.

Sainsbury’s - something must be done about this!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Here’s a first world problem. I’m quite partial to the harvest grain bread from the Sainsbury’s bakery section. Back in the day I’d go in and grab a few loaves to stock up the freezer with, always asking for them to be sliced by the shop super slicer-o-matic machine.

Now we still get the bread in our delivery, but there’s no option to have it sliced. There follows several hours of erratic slicing, swearing, brushing the millions of tiny seeds out of every crevice in the kitchen, with the knowledge that any future sandwich is going to be a jaw-breaking disappointment.

Sainsbury’s - something must be done about this!
    We buy their sliced seeded wholemeal. Delicious and thick cut. Try it.

I’ve been using Tesco’s due to shielding, slots are a bit variable so tried the Amazon prime option which uses Morrison’s. Really easy to get a slot and delivered in nice paper bags by an Amazon delivery guy in a car. Useful for tinned stuff and some ready meals (sometimes I’m not up to cooking) but the fresh fruit is dreadful and anything with a best before date seems to be 1 or 2 days, it’s good as a last resort, but wouldn’t order fruit or anything other than spuds!

Blog Entries
    We've been using Asda deliveries once a week since the beginning of the lockdowns last year, and click and collect from Sainsbury to top up if needed. We also have some excellent farm shops for fresh fruit and veg nearby which are outdoor mainly so pretty safe to use.
    Some of the use by dates can be short on stuff but it's not usually a problem, we can always freeze stuff if needed. You can't expect the people picking the stuff to sort through everything to pick you the best every time, it's just not possible. But mainly the products have been good and the choice good too. We get very few substitutes or out of stock items.
    All in all I think the supermarket workers have done a good job mostly and don't get enough praise.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    2 reasons.
    2) when you arrive (on time) at the (Tesco) parking, you drive to a little hut at the other end, give your name and the green crates are brought to your car. It takes less than 5 minutes to load everything and no one is within 5 metres of you. You remained within touching distance of your car at all times.
    This. ^^^^^
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

2 reasons.
    So neither the convenience of bags being handed over at your doorstep nor ability to check use-by dates etc... pointless.

Sainsbury's Aberdeen is obviously lacking in a proper drive thru - has eights collection parking spots adjacent to the kiddie zone (several are actually kiddie spots currently nicked) where you park, walk over and push a buzzer and wait for the trolley to come out. I have entered and parked the same time as a collector and been into and out the store with child and trolley (zap payment gun, speedy as a speedy thing) to find said collector still unloading their crates into their boot checking items as they go. Oh and of course collector is loading his car 1m from me loading mine. So no I don't get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Mmmm, not sure that Eastern Europeans are cheaper labour than any other labour – locals must get paid the same legal wage?

True, but at that sort of renumeration your typical working class British "job seeker" would rather stay in bed soaking up benefits.

Master
    Anyway - back on topic, I've used Tesco click & collect and the home delivery service a lot over the last few years and I've found the service to be excellent in both cases.

Master
    I had a good with Tesco substitutes, ordered a litre of gin, wasn’t available so gave me 2 x 70cl bottles of the same brand, best result yet!

Short dated stuff they let you have if you reject it. I only reject if I’m getting a delivery on a Friday & multiple items expire the next day.

We seem to have a ghost who goes in & removes stuff from our order that we are both 100% convinced we have added & checked out. It’s so bad it has become an ongoing joke for us both as to what we won’t get.

We used Ocado for a while, like the way the receipt calls out the expiry dates, made planning easier. Did find the average shop seemed to be about £20-30 more a week on similar purchases.

JS I only use when they have their wine deals on, never found an issue there, aside from consuming more when I have loads of cases in the garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Been using Amazon Prime Now, since I'm already a subscriber to Amazon Prime. They use Morrisons as the supplier - I'd say . Only once over the last year was there a problem when a bag wasn't loaded into the van, Amazon refunded with £5 token.

Grand Master
    Mrs W has resorted to using Amazon Prime over the past few weeks and results have been variable to say the least. Choice has been limited, wrong items have been supplied, very hit and miss in our experience but a better alternative than risking exposure to the virus in supermarkets.

Rightly or wrongly our attitude to risk has relaxed somewhat in recent weeks, a combination of reduced infection rate and having received the vaccine, but we’re still being careful and avoiding the supermarket at busy times. Having said that, the weekly ordeal of supermarket shopping has lost its appeal, the sheer convenience of having our stuff delivered gas its advantages.....even if they don’t always get it right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Been using Amazon Prime Now, since I'm already a subscriber to Amazon Prime. They use Morrisons as the supplier - I'd say . Only once over the last year was there a problem when a bag wasn't loaded into the van, Amazon refunded with £5 token.
    I've tried this a couple of times & mixed views. Frozen stuff was no longer frozen & no temp controlled vans, just a normal car delivering....summer will be awful.

Once I got a delivery & Amazon would not believe me that it had been delivered & refunded me, no amount of trying to talk to anyone would let them charge me; very strange indeed.