closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you wear you’re watch on original strap?

Craftsman

Do you wear you’re watch on original strap?

Just a quick thought as I know I’m terrible for it but if I buy a watch used it new and it comes on leather I take it straight off to preserve it and fit an aftermarket strap.

Does anyone else do that here or is just me?

I have to go on a strap buying spree whenever I buy a new watch, even g-Shocks!

You not alone there. I always preserve the original strap if it's not on a bracelet.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

If the original strap is a good match and fit I wear it.

Would likely still try out a few other straps for an occasional change.

I certainly wouldn’t remove the strap just to preserve it.

I wear oem bracelet but not strap usually. Chronissimo on damasko and the alligator on Panerai being the only two exceptions I can think of

Craftsman
    At least I’m not alone then I thought it was some sort of watch based OCD kicking in :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    Just a quick thought as I know I’m terrible for it but if I buy a watch used it new and it comes on leather I take it straight off to preserve it and fit an aftermarket strap.

Does anyone else do that here or is just me?
    I do it more often than not

Craftsman
    I always replace the original strap so the package is complete in the event of a resale.

I throw most watches on a NATO or Erika as soon as I have it so the bracelet / strap stays in the box.
    Not to preserve it, I just find tatty nylon more comfortable

I find choosing a strap is part of the fun of a new watch.

Also, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not really a fan of bracelets so they tend to come off and go straight in the box as soon as a new watch arrives.

Master
    I will not wear used leather even if it has only been worn once. I can just about do a second hand NATO or rubber after it's been through the washing machine. It's a me thing.

Do you wear you’re watch on original strap?

If the watch comes on a decent bracelet then I tend to leave it on there for a while before eventually getting bored and looking for a change. If it comes on a strap, then it’s more than likely to go straight onto a nato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Never, I always keep it on the OEM strap

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I will not wear used leather even if it has only been worn once. I can just about do a second hand NATO or rubber after it's been through the washing machine. It's a me thing.
    I understand this, I am the same. I would rather buy a replacement, than wear something that has been on someone else's wrist. (I am the same with jeans and size 7 shoes)

I use to leave on whatever the watch came with but now I have a lot of spare straps I try it on a few to see which one I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    My first couple of Panerais were worn on OEM straps, but as I morphed into a total Paneristi they are rarely if ever on OEM. Any new ones I buy have have the OEM strap removed immediately and Mays/Corrigia/Micah/Toshi etc fitted.

Mostly wear Rolex on the OEM bracelet, but have dabbled in canvas or rubber a few times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I know I'm a flipper, so if the watch came on an unworn OEM strap, I'd buy a cheaper one and preserve the original strap.

Was recently looking at a strap and folding clasp for my Omega Globemaster. Omega prices are nuts...I think it was £300 for a strap and £215 for the buckle. I'm tempted to buy the buckle and use a similar Rios or Hirsch strap. Even though it's still ridiculously expensive for what it is, at least the buckle is a component that will last its lifetime whereas leather straps are items you have to replace...I just can't justify £300 on an strap that has a limited lifespan.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd rather spend £215 on another watch than a tiny piece of stainless steel!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Generally stock straps are a bit short for my wrist,so they get changed.

Master
    Never.

The watch goes straight onto a NATO. I don't even wear my G10's on the original NATO..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep on bracelet if supplied with, but I often find myself "between holes" on OEM straps so will switch.
    The Blancpain mil-spec strap is particularly short and horrible to wear so ive got it on a JB tropic

Craftsman
    Much prefer to wear a watch on an OEM strap due to fit, comfort, quality, etc.

I do however go on the hunt for an exact replacement should the original one ever deteriorate, plus if needed for resale. Although these days I don't wear any watch enough to wear anything out.

Craftsman
    Depends on the watch

VC Overseas - Yes
    VC Dress watches - No, I tend to swap out to a different strap with deployant

on the lower end

I normally always swap out the straps due to personal taste

Master
    I don't think I've ever kept a watch on its original strap for the last 15 years at least. Not to preserve the original straps - I often think the OE ones are rubbish, and I often think my alternatives look much better! To be honest, I'm often surprise myself about how much better a watch can look on a different band. This is the joy of the internet I guess - more choice.

Most of my watches have come on Bracelets some I leave on, but I do have a selection of rubber straps and a leather for my Seawolf which I do swap around.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Generally stock straps are a bit short for my wrist,so they get changed.
    Ditto.

Buying watches on bracelets usually involves getting extra links which is tedious.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Wow lots of you do it at least I don’t feel so bad now 😁