closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Techy help please - Surface Pro to external monitor

Techy help please - Surface Pro to external monitor

Another 'help me' question.
    I've recently been sent a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 as a new work computer. I will mostly use it either as a standalone 'laptop' or (and more likely) with an external monitor as a desktop machine when I am at the mrs' house as we are basically one household, with two houses and I daren't give mine up and move in.....yet.....

I've finally got around to setting up the Surface with a genuine Surface dock and a Samsung monitor. I have connected the monitor to the dock by way of mini display port to HDMI. The colours on the external monitor look really washed out by comparison and lack any kind of contrast. I've read up online about Full RGB vs Limited RGB and I have created a setting that allows full RGB, but I can't make any discernible difference.

Can anybody lend a hand or a set of easy to follow instructions for the settings I could/should apply?

It'll never replace my iMac as a bit of kit, but for what I need for my job, it does it alright tbf.

J

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I would look at monitor if its upto job

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by dek10000; 8th March 2021 at 22:45.

Master
    I connect my surface pro 7 to a 4K monitor using USB C to display port and it looks great.

If the colours are washed check you don’t have any of the night mode type settings on windows properties for the new monitor. I have been tripped up by this before.

I have connected surface 4 and 7 to various monitors using the Dock. Have you tried USB-C to the monitor ? We also use Belkin docks with success but no issues apart from cost with the MS docks here.

Thanks for the replies....

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I connect my surface pro 7 to a 4K monitor using USB C to display port and it looks great.

If the colours are washed check you don’t have any of the night mode type settings on windows properties for the new monitor. I have been tripped up by this before.
    I've checked all the settings, and I've made some of my own colour adjustments, but it all seems in order.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I have connected surface 4 and 7 to various monitors using the Dock. Have you tried USB-C to the monitor ? We also use Belkin docks with success but no issues apart from cost with the MS docks here.
    Yes, I've tried both the mini displayport to HDMI via the Dock and USB-C to HDMI direct, and the results are exactly the same.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in resolution or whether that shouldn't make any difference at all. The Surface is set to the recommended 2736 x 1824 and the external monitor is 1920 x 1080p so I don't know if that has any effect on the way things look on the second monitor.

Would that have an effect on what I'm viewing on the external? It's particularly noticeable when on Teams and writing chat messages as it misses a lot of the shading that differentiate between lines and chat boxes

Journeyman
    are the colour adjustments you refer to on the monitor itself? If not see if they can be changed.

The only other observation is that a 1920x1080 will probably look pants compared to Surface and Mac screens, I ended up with a much higher resolution to have something equivalent to high res portable display.