closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: British Horology Institute course

British Horology Institute course

Hi,
    I'm complete amateur in watchmaking (strap change, simple regulation), but I'd like to build up my knowledge and maybe move a bit into watchmaking. Also it seems to be a good weekend time killer.

I've found BHI course which looks good on the internet, but I'd like to find how good it's. Maybe some of TZers had an opportunity to attend?
    I'm from abroad, with full time job and family, so only distance learning is on the table.

I’m not a fan personally I feel you’re paying for the upkeep of their hall of residence
    Remember that John Harrison was a carpenter and self taught clockmaker who invented the marine chronometer

Ive been doing watchmaking as a hobby for a number of years and it’s a steep learning curve, get the best tweezers and screwdrivers and loupe you can afford and read books and join some watchmaking forums and even watch some you tube videos and expect to bin a lot of movements at least in your first year , just get hands on and practice investigation on looking for the problems and how to fix just do it
    I don’t make parts and haven’t got the time for it so a lot of the bhi course would be wasted on me I just replace parts

I've done a couple of courses at the BHI and they were excellent. No idea about the distance learning courses but there's a useful group on Facebook called "Unofficial BHI Horologists Group" - you'll get plenty of good answers there.

Thank you very much for feedback. I've joined the BHI fb group and gonna buy some tools. First of all I'll start with some yt and manuals!