closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier?

Craftsman

Cartier?

Hey guys always fancied a Cartier Tank and someone has offered me one for a decent price. It’s boxed with everything and in decent condition with an automatic movement.

What’s your guys thoughts on Cartier watches before I pull the trigger? Anything to look out for and are they nicely made as I haven’t actually seen it in person yet?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like Cartier.
    Well made, decent history, often overlooked. Tanks and Santos are classics.
    (all imo of course)

Master
    I like many of the designs and have had two in the past. Keep thinking about another Pasha.

Craftsman
    Positive comments so far then :)

Master
    I love them, yet to acquire one, but Roadster Xl and Pasha Chrono are on my list.

Master
    They are hit and miss on quality. The precious metal stuff has always been decent but at times they have had less than wonderful brass, silver or steel pieces. They were pretty poor from the 70s to 90s for instance. More recently they have pushed up market but until very recently the movements for instance were nothing special, often off the shelf ETA, though they are hardly the only prestige manufacturer guilty of that of course.

Master
    I had a roadster chrono ages ago, nice watch but being all polished was a bit of a scratch magnet. Also the quick change strap mech was dodgy IME.
    I still have a quartz movement chronoflex in TT finish, a very nice dress watch and always at the right time, should I ever need a dress watch ever again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Which tank is it? I'm a fan of Cartier as well, vintage Cintrees are some of my grail watches - the prices have gone mad tho!

Blog Entries
    Love Cartier and as previously stated underestimate I’ve never had a tank but always regretted parting if with my Cartier roadster , will definitely at some point have another

Master
    Blog Entries
    Important for me - I understand Cartier has a stellar reputation for after sales service.

Not all Tanks are equal. I adore the Louis Cartier, but they are very expensive new. At their best they are brilliant, but there are also some distinctly average ones.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Important for me - I understand Cartier has a stellar reputation for after sales service.
    Certainly my experience. When I had a Santos I took it to Cartier (dropped it off in a boutique) twice - once for a general service and once when I bashed the clasp and knocked off the Cartier logo, both times the watch came back quicker and cheaper than the estimate.

Master
    I really like Cartier, yes, some of the 80's stuff was meh! But my gold & steel Ballon Bleu was lovely (sold it for house refurbs to get completed :( ). I'd like one of their Privee Tortue - nearly bought one from Berry's in Nottingham a few years ago and went for a Panerai instead, doh!
    One of these in white gold; bet the price is double now, if I can find one?!

Craftsman
    I'm also a fan.
    The Santos in particular as I think it really well treads the line between a sports watch & a dress watch when on the bracelet. The newer series are a bit more sporty but stick a leather strap on and it's basically a dress watch again. Unique but timeless design as well and that goes for a number of their models including the Tank.

Thomas Reid
    Back in 1990, I was given some money to buy a watch by my grandmother (finishing my PhD). I asked a very wealthy friend of mine whether he would recommend a Rolex (Datejust, I believe) or an Omega (Speedmaster). He said forget those and get a Cartier Tank. I ignored his advice and got the Speedmaster, which I had trouble with, so returned it and got the Datejust.[1] I sort of wish that I had followed his advice.

[1] Which was stolen from our flat when we went on vacation one year. My wife said I had to leave it behind because it was too likely to be stolen when we were abroad. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries
    I'd love one in my collection. The wife has one and loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    I really like Cartier, yes, some of the 80's stuff was meh! But my gold & steel Ballon Bleu was lovely (sold it for house refurbs to get completed :( ). I'd like one of their Privee Tortue - nearly bought one from Berry's in Nottingham a few years ago and went for a Panerai instead, doh!
    One of these in white gold; bet the price is double now, if I can find one?!

Amazing watch with a JLC movement

Master
    I had a Tank Americane a few years ago, it was a lovely watch to wear, unfortunately sold it to fund another sport/diver.
    Would love another, Santos galbee, or Chronoflex, in the future. But there's always a another chrono'/GMT that gets in the way.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input I will have a look tomorrow and pull the trigger if all’s good.

It’s the Tank Solo XL model so quite large as I’m the kind of guy to wear it with a shirt and trousers or out in my joggers and hoody on my Sunday strolls I kind of don’t really worry what people think to a dressing down a dress watch haha.

The chap said it has a few marks and need a a polish so even more reason to use it everyday

I'm in the market for am old Tank Basculante at the moment, I think they look superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm in the market for am old Tank Basculante at the moment, I think they look superb.
    Brilliant watch, more unusual than a JLC Reverso too.

Craftsman
    Awesome watch didn’t know they made one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Brilliant watch, more unusual than a JLC Reverso too.
    Indeed, and I find them more visually appealing too. Reversos like the Duo Face are clearly far more impressive pieces of mechanical wrist art, but I find them a little too blocky in comparison to the Basculante (images only, not seen either in the flesh).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    Thanks for all the input I will have a look tomorrow and pull the trigger if all’s good.

It’s the Tank Solo XL model so quite large as I’m the kind of guy to wear it with a shirt and trousers or out in my joggers and hoody on my Sunday strolls I kind of don’t really worry what people think to a dressing down a dress watch haha.

The chap said it has a few marks and need a a polish so even more reason to use it everyday
    Nice piece.The bracelet links (assuming it has one) are pretty large so make sure you are happy with the fit. In my experience can they can be hard to size. Indeed my wife moved her quartz one on for that reason and swapped it for a Roadster. The Solo XL is still pretty small relatively speaking. I like the look but went down the Reverso route myself.
    Last edited by Padders; 9th March 2021 at 03:30.

Craftsman
    Luckily it’s on the leather strap so shouldn’t be any sizing issues. If all goes well and I get it today I’m hoping to order a replacement leather strap for it but have no idea what style or colour would be best

I habe one on bracelet. It has a lot of presence and definitely a lot of style and heritage. It is the perfect dress up, dress down watch. Good luck!!

Master
    My x wife had a TT Santos, the smaller size, and was a lovely everyday wearer. I have always liked the look of the XL version.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Basculante watches are my favourites. Bought a lady's Basculante and was very impressed by the design ... but so far have not managed to find a s/h gent's model.

The story of the lady's Basculante and how ladies can ruin watches:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=Basculante

... and after it was restored by Mark Wiles at Antique and Modern in East Barnet:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=Basculante

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Well I saw it and instantly fell in love and it’s now in my possession and I couldn’t be happier :)

Strap is still in decent condition and the head is also in very clean condition apart from a few light swirlies to the polished parts so Cape Cod cloth time it is when I get home.

Came boxed with stamped warranty card etc.. I will try and work out how to get pics up this evening once I’ve cleaned it all etc..

Very happy indeed 😁

Well I saw it and instantly fell in love and it’s now in my possession and I couldn’t be happier :)

Strap is still in decent condition and the head is also in very clean condition apart from a few light swirlies to the polished parts so Cape Cod cloth time it is when I get home.

Came boxed with stamped warranty card etc.. I will try and work out how to get pics up this evening once I’ve cleaned it all etc..

Very happy indeed 
    Lovely watches and the new extended warranty if you register online makes them a headache free acquisition

Craftsman
    It’s a stunning watch, not as big as I imagined even being the XL model but a beauty never the less. It’s a 2014 model so probably due a service soon but we will see how it keeps time

Craftsman
    Well I’ve finally managed to get a pic up here you go it’s only a quick pic to show it off to you guys 😁

Master
    Nice one! That's lovely, enjoy!

Craftsman
    Thank you 😊

Journeyman

Cartier?

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    They do have fantastic customer service - on their eyewear at least. I’’d expect the same for watches.
    Last edited by slever; 11th March 2021 at 02:53.

Master
    My experience with Cartier after sales, for a watch, was less than impressive. To be fair it was some some 20 years ago, but, still.....

Master
    Well I’ve finally managed to get a pic up here you go it’s only a quick pic to show it off to you guys 

That looks absolutely fantastic. Enjoy!!

Craftsman
    Thank you I know some of you will hate it but it’s now on a vintage style brown and black NATO to dress it down abit as it normally in jeans or joggers and the leather strap looked abit odd if I was out in my Calvin Klein Joggers and at shirt haha

Craftsman
    Thank you I know some of you will hate it but it’s now on a vintage style brown and black NATO to dress it down abit as it normally in jeans or joggers and the leather strap looked abit odd if I was out in my Calvin Klein Joggers and at shirt haha
    Sacrilege :D it’s your watch to wear and enjoy, so put it on any strap that tickles you. It’s nice to make a watch your own and fit it to your style, it’ll look great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks mate, here it is

url=https://postimg.cc/5HDCtcsw][/url]

That's awful, sorry.

Craftsman
    Haha thanks 😂

I’m not a fan of it on the NATO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whilst the old adage is 'each to his own', I'm afraid it doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

You might find better results with a 2-piece nato, that would eliminate the bulk under the case. Or maybe dress it down with a nice canvas strap?

Apprentice
    I like cartier with JLC, Piaget, or F.piguet movement!