closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Block paving a driveway, what do I need to know?

Blog Entries

Block paving a driveway, what do I need to know?

Basically, we want to get the drive block paved. It's a T shape that needs doing, with one section 21m x 5m and the adjoining part 13m x 6m.

There are lots of landscaping companies and paving companies, but what should I look out for? Anyone have any ball park figures for getting an area this size done, nothing fancy needed as far as the blocks are concerned, probably Marshalls Keyblok 60 or their Standard Concrete Blocks.

All advice appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    All I would say is get a local company to do it that you know have done other properties in the your neighbourhood.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

£100/sqm ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    £100/sqm ?
    At that price resin bonded is cheaper and surely nicer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We have to turn on the drive and I'm not confident it would stand up to it in the long run. Price isn't the main factor.

Get a load of quotes from reputable locals who are known in the community.
    Prices vary a great deal between different areas, if your in a posh area you will get charged alot extra compared to a poor area.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ripped my block paved drive up three years ago and replaced with Creteprint. Why would I do that just fed up of cleaning the weeds and crap every year. I can now do it with my jet wash without the crap going everywhere in 2 hrs we have 80m2

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Ripped my block paved drive up three years ago and replaced with Creteprint. Why would I do that just fed up of cleaning the weeds and crap every year. I can now do it with my jet wash without the crap going everywhere in 2 hrs we have 80m2

I think block paving looks really nice but I can relate to the hassle of keeping block paving weed free - it's a pain. Be prepared for a lot of work or the use of a lot of nasty chemicals.

Another potential problem in my experience is that if the base isn't done properly, they can settle unevenly in time. We had a house that already had block paving installed and over time there was quite a bit of settlement. But maybe that is an uncommon problem and just a result of poor workmanship.

Our current house has a resin bonded drive, laid around five years ago. Admittedly there isn't a lot of turning on it - just driving on and reversing off - but it still looks like new.

Craftsman
    Had the previous house drive and pathways block paved, quite a big area though I cannot remember the price but it wasn't the cheapest option. However hardwearing and a big improvement over the old and crumbling tarmac. Got three quotes and ended up giving the job to a local reputable builder.

Also got some drains replaced and a new mains water pipe put in while the dive was up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I think block paving looks really nice but I can relate to the hassle of keeping block paving weed free - it's a pain. Be prepared for a lot of work or the use of a lot of nasty chemicals.

Another potential problem in my experience is that if the base isn't done properly, they can settle unevenly in time. We had a house that already had block paving installed and over time there was quite a bit of settlement. But maybe that is an uncommon problem and just a result of poor workmanship.

Our current house has a resin bonded drive, laid around five years ago. Admittedly there isn't a lot of turning on it - just driving on and reversing off - but it still looks like new.
    Yes, we had block paving at our last house which was done before we moved in, I know that weeds can be a pain. It's the possibility of settlement that worries me most, will need to look into what the quotes include as far as a base is concerned. At the moment it's fairly small gravel which drives me mad sticking in the soles of your shoes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Hadn't thought of that to be honest, will have a look at it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Get a load of quotes from reputable locals who are known in the community.
    Prices vary a great deal between different areas, if your in a posh area you will get charged alot extra compared to a poor area.
    Had a first quote of 10.5k, but need to check exactly what sub base etc that includes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I've just had a resin drive done and the quote/sq.metre was £70. That was the resin-only cost. On top of that was the digging out, porous concrete base, drains etc. which doubled the original quote. In the end, 150m² cost best part of £20k . Ouch.

It looks nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Had a first quote of 10.5k, but need to check exactly what sub base etc that includes.
    Seems cheap.

I’m extending my driveway at the front this month and cost is £88psqm, includes digging out grass, some drainage and 3 drain covers replaced with blockwork covers.

Always pay on completion and make sure quote is fixed price. You don’t want some cowboy extorting you for extras after he’s turned your place into a building site.

Pretty much all you will ever need to know about any type of paving is here:-

https://www.pavingexpert.com/

I’m a Surveyor and this is my go to resource.

The excavation and prep is one of the critical things. Make sure the excavation is deep enough and is clean and solid, then a Terram or similar Geotextile porous membrane laid, this stops the sub base; such as Type 1 no fines crushed granite or similar properly machine compacted, does not migrate into the sub-soil. Then sand blinding and block paviours. Or whatever finish you settle upon. As always proper preparation will prevent p**s poor performance; ie, rutting in wheel tracks and subsidence. Planning laws today require either porous paving or proper land drainage also.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

The excavation and prep is one of the critical things. Make sure the excavation is deep enough and is clean and solid, then a Terram or similar Geotextile porous membrane laid, this stops the sub base; such as Type 1 no fines crushed granite or similar properly machine compacted, does not migrate into the sub-soil. Then sand blinding and block paviours. Or whatever finish you settle upon. As always proper preparation will prevent p**s poor performance; ie, rutting in wheel tracks and subsidence. Planning laws today require either porous paving or proper land drainage also.

Pleased to hear that, resin and printed concrete don't help drainage, pet hate of mine along with plastic grass.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Pleased to hear that, resin and printed concrete don't help drainage, pet hate of mine along with plastic grass.
    Resin can be porous and is permitted w/o planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Resin can be porous and is permitted w/o planning.
    Every day - as they say.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    At the moment it's fairly small gravel which drives me mad sticking in the soles of your shoes.
    Get rid of the small gravel and get some nice 20mm gravel (Scottish pebbles are nice) , personally I don't think you can beat a nice gravel driveway and good for security too.

Block paving has it’s issues and it’s benefits. For example if it needs to come up. Can be done easily and any issue resolved (burst pipe/collapsed drain etc)
    CreateaPrint or similar looks like block paving, but no weeds, easy to clean. But a real pain if it needs to be lifted for any reason. If you know there’s nothing under the drive Printed textured concrete the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Get rid of the small gravel and get some nice 20mm gravel (Scottish pebbles are nice) , personally I don't think you can beat a nice gravel driveway and good for security too.
    No way plays havoc with your alloys when you only have 40 sidewalls on your tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Seems cheap.

I’m extending my driveway at the front this month and cost is £88psqm, includes digging out grass, some drainage and 3 drain covers replaced with blockwork covers.

That's in Scotland isn't it, so maybe not relevant south of the border?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Great website I think I used some years back when I was laying a patio and had forgotten about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Ha ha, yes thats an idea but I think we'll go with the paving. We have some large horse chestnut trees nearby so it'll make clearing up the leaves easier too!