closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New specs time - Oakley lenses

New specs time - Oakley lenses

Eye test today, prescription changed (slight improvement probably from being old) and time for a new pair.
    I will just buy another pair of Oakley Pitchman R off the Internet but I notice this time round there is a choice of Oakley lenses.
    They are an extra £150. I’ve had Oakley Rx Sunglasses with Oakley’s own lenses in and they were excellent but is it worth spending the extra on the lenses? It more than doubles the price of them as supplied with Essilor lenses.
    So any thoughts I’d be interested to hear.

J

Master
    I go for just normal prescription lenses for normal glasses, but always go for Oakley prescription lenses for my sunglasses. I am not sure I would pay an additional £150’for clear lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve always had Essilor varifocals and previously had the Oakley rx sunnies but went with Zeiss this time in some Oakley frames, glad I did as they are superb! Even compared to the Oakley lenses. And not much more than the top spec Essilor either; £400 iirc

Master
    Don't bother with clear oakley lenses, they are just as expensive as premium branded lenses and not really as good, mainly as they are made from polycarbonate which is about the worst "usual" optical material.
    You will get your little O engraved in the bottom of the lens however and to some that is important.
    The tints/coatings on sunnies are good and polyc has some useful attributes in hazardous situations, protection from flying rocks etc but for daily specs stick to good old cr39 plastic with a good MAR coating.

Thanks for the info all.
    I was (and still am) very impressed by the optical quality of my last pair of Oakley prescription sunnies, so I kind of hoped that the normal specs would be of the same quality.
    I note that one of the options is Plutonite - is this Oakley's branded polycarbonate then or is it some other fancy unobtainium?

J

When you say “another pair of” why not just send your existing frames off to be reglazed? Costs a fraction and the optician who did your prescription are obliged to give you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    When you say “another pair of” why not just send your existing frames off to be reglazed? Costs a fraction and the optician who did your prescription are obliged to give you a copy.

Ordinarily I would, but these are well used and overdue replacement.
    Plus they were in my coat pocket when an alloy wheel moved in the back of my car last week, and it’s slightly deformed the frame. I’m not very good at keeping them in the case.
    I do normally get my frames reglazed and get a pretty good deal from an online glazer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Thanks for the info all.
    I was (and still am) very impressed by the optical quality of my last pair of Oakley prescription sunnies, so I kind of hoped that the normal specs would be of the same quality.
    I note that one of the options is Plutonite - is this Oakley's branded polycarbonate then or is it some other fancy unobtainium?

J
    Yes, plutonite is their name for PC. Frankly even Oakley admit that PC is awful for lenses but it offers excellent impact resistance so is a good option for their rufty toughty profile. To be fair they do a good job with the material but you can't polish a t++d.
    A cr39 lens with a good MAR coating is the way to go.