closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ankara

Ankara

It looks like I will be spending a considerable amount of time in Ankara over the next year.

Assuming the virus abates and I will be able to get out and about, does anybody have any suggestions about what to see and do in and around the city?

Any suggestions very welcome.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Good luck. We met up with family there once. After you’ve done the castle, the markets, the malls and bought a carpet or cushion or moody watch or jewellery or whatever it didn’t hold our interest. Maybe we we were hasty but we all took a road trip. The wider country is teeming with ancient sites, beautiful beaches and great food/people mostly. But it’s a big place to get around!

Many thanks for your reply.

I am a fan of classical history so hope to get to Troy, Bodrum and Ephesus at least during my stay as well as Istanbul of course.

Izmir (Ephesus) is really spectacular. Bodrum builds wooden boats that are worth seeing. I really enjoyed Pamukkale where you can relax for a couple of days as the Romans did. Hierapolis is nearby.

But if you were ever in sales at one point in your life, you must go to the souk and get them to show you their rugs. Not only will you be able to see museum quality stuff from some merchant, you will truly have an education into the art, how to appraise a rug and tell an ordinary one from a good and very good one, but chances are the sheer quality of the sales guys, the way they deal with all the objections you can think off, etc. will impress.
    You might leave with a small Kayseri silk prayer rug (ask me how I know).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Went on a cycling holiday to the Cappadocia region about 10 years ago. I remember all that region around Goreme being pretty nice with lots to see and do. It's about 4 hours drive from Ankara i think

We flew in and out of Ankara and had a night there both ends of the trip. I remember the place felt very sketchy. We were a group of 3 lads so it didn't bother us, but the all female groups/individuals on the same trip didn't venture out of the hotel on the first night. After the trip, once we knew everyone, we all went out on our last night there.

Master
    I spend a lot of time in Ankara (when I can) - my brother/sister in law are Turkish and live there. Great city. Sometimes hear the odd gun going off but so what. Get in a car and there is some fabulous countryside within a short drive. Lovely long very hot summers of course but can be bitterly cold in the winter.

Cheap great local food, booze, fags and haircuts. Great exchange rate at the moment.

Indeed, Turkish food is a revelation. Barbers and Turkish baths are renowned, but ask the people you know there where they go.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I thoroughly recommend a trip to the Ataturk Mausoleum - allow for a half a day.

I'm trying to recall one restaurant tip and a shopping tip but I'll need some time on Google Maps for that. Otherwise it's a fairly sleepy backwater but I'm sure you'll find stuff to do.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

Due to COVID, the trip out from Scotland looks complex at the moment, but my new employer is sorting out the logistics which is a relief.

I will be in quarantine for two weeks on arrival but I’m looking forward to being out and about after that.

It’s customary for me to learn how to say ‘hello’, ‘thank you’ and ‘very sorry’ in the language of any country I find myself in. At the moment Turkish is proving a challenge but hopefully quarantine will give me enough time to master at least these basic words.

My restaurant tip is Dalyan Marina on Tunal Hilmi Caddesi. It's a quite typical Anatolian fish restaurant but I've had a few pleasant evenings there (and it's handy for the Sheraton).

http://www.dalyanbalikcisi.com/

I can't find the small souvenir shop on Google maps which is/was approximately 500 yds north on the same street - on the western side. His starting prices were always significantly more reasonable than any of the ending prices achievable in the Bazaar - a 10% reduction was all that I managed - but I still have some ceramics and a coloured glass chandelier from the endeavour.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Hello - Salam
    Thank you - cok sagol (chok sarol) or tessekur (teshekur)
    Very sorry - cok uzgunum

Can’t do the accents and things on my phone