closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forstner flat link - stretch links too stretchy?

Forstner flat link - stretch links too stretchy?

I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything about this, so apologies if I missed something.

I bought the Forstner flat link for my speedy professional in January and it has lived on it since (after previously being on the marmite komfit for a number of months :P).

However, I noticed that the stretchy links are permanently stretched after only two months. I had originally worried that the stretchy links could be a weak point on an otherwise fantastic bracelet by Forstner. Unfortunately, the way the bracelet is made it isn’t possible to simply remove the stretchy links and have all regular links (which I probably would have preferred anyway).

Has anybody else had this same issue? I don’t wear the watch particularly tight so I don’t think it’s something I’m doing!

I’‘’ll try and attach some photos, but this is my first time creating a post so it may go wrong...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tic.tock.doc; 7th March 2021 at 17:20.

That looks a bit disappointing, probably worth contacting them as makes you think they could have an issue with the springs used. I have an NSA bracelet from the 70's with sprung clasp that still retains it's pull even now, I don't think that is as it should be.

Good luck, keep us updated how you get on.

That's what I feared would happen with the Forstner, that's why I went with the Uncle Seiko version.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    That looks a bit disappointing, probably worth contacting them as makes you think they could have an issue with the springs used. I have an NSA bracelet from the 70's with sprung clasp that still retains it's pull even now, I don't think that is as it should be.

Good luck, keep us updated how you get on.
    I've emailed them, will see what they say and will update here when I get a response.
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    That's what I feared would happen with the Forstner, that's why I went with the Uncle Seiko version.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I had looked at the uncle Seiko bracelet but I liked the SEL on the Forstner, but maybe I should have listened to my gut...! How do you find the bracelet?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have an update already! Customer support says it’s likely a defect they are sending a replacement. Not sure whether it’s a replacement band or just the stretch links.

Quote Originally Posted by tic.tock.doc View Post
    I have an update already! Customer support says it’s likely a defect they are sending a replacement. Not sure whether it’s a replacement band or just the stretch links.

Wow, that was fast!
    Hopefully this one won't disappoint, plus you will have some spare links in stock with the defective one. I will be interested to know whether or not this one stays properly stretchy

That's great to read, sounds like exceptional service.

I don't know if it would make a difference in the service, but can you say if you ordered the bracelet in the US shop or the UK one?

For balance I have the same bracelet and this has not happened to my stretchy links.

Good to see the company quickly respond though in this situation.

Please keep up dated

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    I don't know if it would make a difference in the service, but can you say if you ordered the bracelet in the US shop or the UK one?
    I bought it from the US store.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    For balance I have the same bracelet and this has not happened to my stretchy links.

Good to see the company quickly respond though in this situation.

Please keep up dated
    That's good to know. Hopefully it's just a one off!

In the meantime I'm wearing it on a zuludiver rubber strap. Never had it on rubber before, it's...interesting. Plus good for the warm weather we're having here in Illinois. Up to 19c today after -20c a couple weeks ago. And I thought Scottish weather was unpredictable....

I also have this bracelet and removal of the flexible part seems to be doable. Quite easy modification of springbar part in clasp. Good point that they give a lot of extra links.

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    I also have this bracelet and removal of the flexible part seems to be doable. Quite easy modification of springbar part in clasp. Good point that they give a lot of extra links.
    I'm not sure it is possible, at least on the version I have. The stretch links do not have screws, and the last of the regular links with a screwhole is "male" so if you passed a spring bar through it I think it wouldn't be very secure in the clasp. Does yours look the same as this?

EDIT: I guess I could try and open up the flex link but this would mean destroying it. Hmm, maybe after I get the replacement I will see how difficult that is.

Last edited by tic.tock.doc; 9th March 2021 at 20:03.

I'm thinking about opening the part where springbar is attached and connect it to regular link.

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    I'm thinking about opening the part where springbar is attached and connect it to regular link.
    Well don't damage yours yet, I'll try it when I get my replacement and update here ;)

Well don't damage yours yet, I'll try it when I get my replacement and update here ;)

It's the "worst case scenario", but this part is just a steel and can be covered by the clasp. So the risk is not too big

Master
    I’ve not had any problems with mine. Hopefully it’s a one-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took delivery of a replacement bracelet from forstner today, less than a week after contacting them. Can't complain about that level of customer service!

I'll size it this weekend and will update this thread in a couple of months to let anyone who's interested know whether this once has faired better than the first.

Just seen this . Ordered the same bracelet today . Sounds like some good customer service there , which is reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    Just seen this . Ordered the same bracelet today . Sounds like some good customer service there , which is reassuring.
    It looks great on the bracelet, and very comfortable. So long as you don't have the issue I did you'll be happy with it! It's a bit of a pain to resize from what I remember, trying to hold the screwdrivers on both sides of the bracelet to remove the links wasn't particularly fun.

Been meaning to get one for a while . The fois on the classifieds reminded me and I discovered they are now available in the uk direct which is great . I have a few of the original flat link brackets , which while they look cool on the watches are very flimsy. Cheers j