closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thick paint to cover minor imperfections

Blog Entries

Thick paint to cover minor imperfections

Hi

I have some old walls that I’ve filled and sanded…. I’m not a fan of meticulously skimmed walls in a Victorian house, so, even with a lot of effort a few flaws bumps and nibbles are on display…. To help smooth this out a little I am wanting to apply some creamy thick base base coats…

I brought some Polycell crack covering ceiling paint…. Nice and gloopy, but, at £40 for 5l hellishly expensive

Any suggestions? Must be super thick and gloopy!

Cheers
    Ben

Master
    What about using lining paper? This stuff for Screwfix has has some good reports elsewhere:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-wa...mm-x-20m/1506p

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What about using lining paper? This stuff for Screwfix has has some good reports elsewhere:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-wa...mm-x-20m/1506p
    I’ve no experience with wallpaper if I’m honest…. And also want to avoid the join lines…. Interesting suggestion though…. Thank you

Master
    Not an expert, but surely you’d never get any kind of finish from thick gloopy stuff. I believe the non trade stuff is like this as it’s easier to use, whilst trade is thinner but has more pigment.

Perhaps a darker paint as this would hide the imperfections more?

I'd of just used some easy fill once the first coat was on for any imperfections.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Not an expert, but surely you’d never get any kind of finish from thick gloopy stuff. I believe the non trade stuff is like this as it’s easier to use, whilst trade is thinner but has more pigment.

Perhaps a darker paint as this would hide the imperfections more?
    The polycell stuff did even it out a little

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    I'd of just used some easy fill once the first coat was on for any imperfections.
    Yeah…. Not a bad idea to to go over it now it’s a bit more pronounced…. Shall try that as I’m relatively confident with a trowel

Crown Obliterating Emulsion is pretty good at this kind of thing, used it a few times with decent results.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get a bag of Gyproc esi fill,mix to a nice smooth paste so as to stay on the trowel, spread thinly to cover imperfections and leave to dry then sand with a sanding pad. The beauty of this stuff it’s easy sand. We use it to snag rough plastering on new work.
    Last edited by hilly10; 7th March 2021 at 20:36.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Crown Obliterating Emulsion is pretty good at this kind of thing, used it a few times with decent results.
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Get a bag of Gyproc esi fill,mix to a nice smooth paste so as to stay on the trowel, spread thinly to cover imperfections and leave to dry then sand with a sanding pad. The beauty of this stuff it’s easy sand. We use it to snag rough plastering on new work.
    Got it.…. Esi fill…. A quick coat of white emulsion revealed a few more imperfections…. So I can spin over the worst bits with a trowel…. Just ordered 5kg from B&Q to pick up tomorrow

Will have a go at that paint too as base level finish…. Edit - found it on Amazon 10l for £40 pretty reasonable

Thanks TZ!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 7th March 2021 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Got it.…. Esi fill…. A quick coat of white emulsion revealed a few more imperfections…. So I can spin over the worst bits with a trowel…. Just ordered 5kg from B&Q to pick up tomorrow

Will have a go at that paint too as base level finish…. Edit - found it on Amazon 10l for £40 pretty reasonable

Thanks TZ!
    If you use Esi-fill coat it and then walk away, it takes 24 hours to dry before sanding, then block sand the whole wall,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If you use Esi-fill coat it and then walk away, it takes 24 hours to dry before sanding, then block sand the whole wall,
    Got it - 24 hours

It’s been quite nice really as we have 2 lounges so we live in one and do up the other…. Far less stressful and I can take my own sweet time!

Then when you need to colour the walls use a Matt paint or chalk paint as this also stop the light showing imperfections. Victorians used very bold colours too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Then when you need to colour the walls use a Matt paint or chalk paint as this also stop the light showing imperfections. Victorians used very bold colours too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’m wanting it to be white in the front room - clean and bright! I’d best get the finish right!

Will update the thread with how I get on as I will have a stab at the weekend…! And it’s always handy to pass on good techniques…. I could’ve just hired a plasterer but that wasn’t the point…. Being too crisp would’ve jarred!

Blog Entries
    I just remembered I didn’t update this thread…. I think it always a good idea to let people know how you got on when they’ve taken the time to help you

Easy fill is a revelation…. It can turn a patient DIYer into a pro plasterer…. It’s extremely forgiving…. I used to re-plaster the whole lounge pretty much and even managed a small ceiling section above the bay

Top tips….

Avoid the temptation to keep going over things…. A quick light sand will remove the odd trowel line

Don’t make the mix too wet

I used water spray gun to keep it more pliable when working it around

Don’t do anything too deep - use filler and then go over the top of the more cavernous sections

It looks like a properly plastered wall as a result!

The paint was also great and I shall now be using that throughout the house…. A good texture with nice coverage…

I completely rebuilt and bricked the front of the fireplace up too off a lintel and re-tiled the hearth…. The iron insert was actually left by the previous owners in the garage and is original to the house…. I also sanded and varnished (osmo) the floor - came up a treat

Stripping skirts and picture rails was painful…. I’m not sure I’ll put myself through that again!

Obligatory pics

Last edited by Wolfie; 20th June 2021 at 11:15.

Nice job :-)
    Tried to plaster a bathroom wall once and had to tile over it. Luckily my tiling skills are far superior to my plastering

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk