closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales Corner is tempting at the moment!

Sales Corner is tempting at the moment!

Amazing array of super watches on SC ... two lovely Zeniths, an almost irresistible hand wind GS, a very striking Steinhart and even a rather interesting micro brand, Nodus, that looks really good.

... must resist ...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Amazing array of super watches on SC ... two lovely Zeniths, an almost irresistible hand wind GS, a very striking Steinhart and even a rather interesting micro brand, Nodus, that looks really good.

... must resist ...
    How do i get access to SC?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

It’s in the forum message when you logon - you need to be a member for certain period of time (6 months I think) and make a certain number of posts (250 maybe?).

250 is to post, 50 is to have access to it as a buyer if I understand it correctly.
    And yes Op, there is a lot of nice stuff on the SC at the moment!
    This hand wind GS is looking great!

It was more tempting for me before Brexit.

Journeyman
    It’s in the forum message when you logon - you need to be a member for certain period of time (6 months I think) and make a certain number of posts (250 maybe?).
    I was a member for over 10 years. It still shows in my account information i think. But i was surprised to see my post count down to almost less than 10 when i came back after a long absence...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    250 is to post, 50 is to have access to it as a buyer if I understand it correctly.
    And yes Op, there is a lot of nice stuff on the SC at the moment!
    This hand wind GS is looking great!
    Ah great. Selling stuff is a pain. I only ever buy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCalvinus View Post
    Ah great. Selling stuff is a pain. I only ever buy stuff.

Yeah that's always the best part haha!

If you sort through the used clothing, shoes and other items then yes there are some nice watches for sale at the moment.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    If you sort through the used clothing, shoes and other items then yes there are some nice watches for sale at the moment.
    That reminds me - I’ve got a couple of old pairs of underpants I need to sell...

Luckily that lovely Seiko SLA043 was withdrawn, I was ready to sell a couple of watches but didn't get around to it. Maybe if it comes up again...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    That reminds me - I’ve got a couple of old pairs of underpants I need to sell...
    I see No reason why not put them up on the forum as long as they are washed lol.

Master
    Set yourself a decent target, avoid the bog standard stuff and save up for a Patek, that is where the real quality lies.

Very rare things are as good as described in my experience. The old blank cards with no date and marks not described or photographed are very common so watch who you buy from

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Very rare things are as good as described in my experience. The old blank cards with no date and marks not described or photographed are very common so watch who you buy from
    I've found quite the opposite and all at good prices.
    If buying something over a few hundred £ then the photos have to be of good quality of course but most here are excellent in that regard.

Grand Master
    An excellent Smiths Everest PRS 25 40mm on there too at the moment! Thought I would've had more interest on it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    An excellent Smiths Everest PRS 25 40mm on there too at the moment! Thought I would've had more interest on it.
    Especially with 12 month warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They’ve been selling at £150-£180 Paul so, although good value considering it’s just been serviced and has a twelve month warranty, it will still be seen by many as overpriced for what it is.

eBay is probably your best market to get your asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    as long as they are washed lol.
    Not sure about that. Some people here are big fans of patina:-)

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Did you leave H&V so other members can avoid the bad apples, or are you generalising and don't really know what you're talking about? Like Master Mick P(atek).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Did you leave H&V so other members can avoid the bad apples, or are you generalising and don't really know what you're talking about? Like Master Mick P(atek).
    The problem with the SC is that a lot of weak willed members buy something purely because it is it is available and then move it on a few months later after a change of heart. They then vow never to buy again and guess what, within a few weeks they do buy and sell again and probably have a wife who finds the whole situation at worst pathetic or at best hilarious. We all know that flipping more than likely makes you poorer.

If you save up for something such as a Patek, you know you have hit the pinnacle and are more likely to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The problem with the SC is that a lot of weak willed members buy something purely because it is it is available and then move it on a few months later after a change of heart. They then vow never to buy again and guess what, within a few weeks they do buy and sell again and probably have a wife who finds the whole situation at worst pathetic or at best hilarious. We all know that flipping more than likely makes you poorer.

If you save up for something such as a Patek, you know you have hit the pinnacle and are more likely to keep it.
    Nowt wrong with having a bit of fun, trying things out and if you buy smart you usually get your money back. Not sure why your spouse would have much to say on the matter!

I do agree that the carefully thought out, 'significant' pieces are the ones that tend to stick. Of course what counts as a significant purchase to one may be insignificant to another, and significance is not only monetary.

There are lots of different reasons people enjoy this hobby and aspiring to own a Patek is not necessarily one of them. Not by a long shot.

And what does anyone's wife have to do with it? You've got some funny ideas about how the world works.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    There are lots of different reasons people enjoy this hobby and aspiring to own a Patek is not necessarily one of them. Not by a long shot.

And what does anyone's wife have to do with it? You've got some funny ideas about how the world works.
    Agreed - where on earth has the 'weak willed' shot come from?.

People buy and sometimes the reality is that it's not really for them - AKA flipping, happens a lot on watch forums.............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Agreed - where on earth has the 'weak willed' shot come from?.

People buy and sometimes the reality is that it's not really for them - AKA flipping, happens a lot on watch forums.............
    Not to Mick it doesn't

Master
    People enjoy the hobby differently. Some buy and never sell, and plan for ages. Some buy and sell and try things out. Some are in between. Nothing wrong with any of it as long as you’re sensible.

Banned

You're like a mix between Archie Luxury and Skyman.

Master
    I'm not sure if SC has more nice watches appearing or of it's just lockdown boredom making me look more and dream, but I certainly have been very tempted bya good few.... Bought 2 and went back to the Snowflake countless times! What I do know is....ah hang on, I've worked it out. SC is slow currently, less buyers for some reason, that's DEFINITELY the case. This means with the same number of watches appearing it seems like more as they linger (so there are indeed more for sale at any time) and the sellers are dropping prices so the deals are very tempting.

I don’t want a Patek, or a VC or an AP.

Happily take a polar explorer ii as a gift but no interest in reaching a ‘pinnacle’ any higher than that. Couldn’t afford to anyway.

More fun for me trying some (lots) and seeing what sticks.

There aren’t many hobbies you don’t lose money on so it’s all part of the fun imho
    Last edited by acg; 7th March 2021 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I don’t want a Patek, or a VC or a AP.

Happily take a polar explorer ii as a gift but no interest in reaching a ‘pinnacle’ any higher than that. Couldn’t afford to anyway.

More fun for trying some and seeing what sticks.

There aren’t many hobbies you don’t lose money on so it’s all part of the fun imho
    I agree.

Also depends what you mean by “losing”. I’ve had quite a few watches that I bought, worn for a bit but moved on, whether because I wanted something else or just got bored. You lose a few £ here and there, it’s kind of like you’re renting the thing for a bit aka paying for the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sales Corner is tempting at the moment!

I can see your point, Mick. I’m not a flipper, bought 15 and sold 2 watches in 12 years. But, I can see the logic of being able to try a wide range of watches at reduced net cost, I just can’t be arsed, I’m happy with what I have and with what I’m waiting on. You could say I’m not that type of WWWiS.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The flipping watches part is the best thing really. At least you get to try out different watches.

Journeyman
    Different people have different ways of managing this hobby and the watch addiction. For me, i never flip because i cannot bear the loss (in value and also of the watch) so i end up with a drawer full of watches and give a few of the lower value ones away to friends and relatives.

Over the years i find i buy less and start to consider liquidating my entire stock for an 'ultimate watch', but i think i would be bored...

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I agree.

Also depends what you mean by “losing”. I’ve had quite a few watches that I bought, worn for a bit but moved on, whether because I wanted something else or just got bored. You lose a few £ here and there, it’s kind of like you’re renting the thing for a bit aka paying for the hobby.

This summarises my approach.

Nothing wrong with those who want to ‘invest’ in an expensive and appreciating asset: that’s their bag. For me, I like the fun of buying, wearing, getting bored and selling. Writing off part of the value of the watch is just the cost of the hobby, I’d rather do that than being constrained to one of two brands which gain value. Particularly as I don’t spend that much, so can’t lose that much.

Also

...my wife supports my pursuit of happiness, but I guess that’s a reflection on our relationship rather than my watch buying!

There has been a few tempting watches, the one that floats my boat is the 1665, for me it would mean moving on other watches that I would find hard to sell but what a watch..

The 1958 Bakelite GMT is incredible and so nice to see watches like this behind the closed doors of SC, be great if they stayed on the forum..

Mick P is entitled to his opinion, same as anyone else is entitled to completely ignore it.

Name-calling rather weakens an argument in my view, though (yours, of course, may differ! )

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mick P is entitled to his opinion, same as anyone else is entitled to completely ignore it.

Name-calling rather weakens an argument in my view, though (yours, of course, may differ! )

M
    M - I'm sure Mick knew exactly what he was doing when he started the 'name calling'. That said, I think SC is always tempting to enthusiasts

And now we can add the GO Panoreserve and the Breguet Type XXI ... not wholly sure about the gold but even so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    This summarises my approach.

Nothing wrong with those who want to ‘invest’ in an expensive and appreciating asset: that’s their bag. For me, I like the fun of buying, wearing, getting bored and selling. Writing off part of the value of the watch is just the cost of the hobby, I’d rather do that than being constrained to one of two brands which gain value. Particularly as I don’t spend that much, so can’t lose that much.

Also

...my wife supports my pursuit of happiness, but I guess that’s a reflection on our relationship rather than my watch buying!
    You've summed it up nicely for me (except the wife support bit...)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    You've summed it up nicely for me (except the wife support bit...)
    Yes. Its best if the wife thinks they all look the same and never notice the new ones...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCalvinus View Post
    Yes. Its best if the wife thinks they all look the same and never notice the new ones...

My wife caught me fiddling in my watch box the other day, looked inside and said “how many watches do you have? I thought you just had lots of different straps”

I’ve been rumbled

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    My wife caught me fiddling in my watch box the other day, looked inside and said “how many watches do you have? I thought you just had lots of different straps”

I’ve been rumbled

Yes dear many straps......... With matching faces

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Luckily for me my wife thinks that all Seiko’s are 40 quid jobs from the Argos catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Had to think on my feet so asked her how many handbags she has. Reckon it will be a while before I catch up with her...

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Luckily for me my wife thinks that all Seiko’s are 40 quid jobs from the Argos catalogue.
    Be carefull that she doesn't give one to a nephew, friend etc who mentions they need a new watch!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    That's another upside of Seiko! In my line of work I've spent a fair amount of time in some dodgy harbour and port cities. Wear a Rolex or Omega in the wrong bar and you're asking for trouble, hopefully just a polite mugging. With a Seiko diver (not a GS..) you've got a reasonable chance of being left in peace, perceived as a tool watch not a luxury piece. A few dents helps.

Steve

Craftsman
    I remember Chris Harris off Top Gear said that he wanted to try as many different driving experiences as he could. He has more cars than many of us have watches and I have a dozen. Feel the same about watches. I enjoy the experience of trying something new.

Craftsman
    There’s a few nice Breitlings on there I must say!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    That's another upside of Seiko! In my line of work I've spent a fair amount of time in some dodgy harbour and port cities. Wear a Rolex or Omega in the wrong bar and you're asking for trouble, hopefully just a polite mugging. With a Seiko diver (not a GS..) you've got a reasonable chance of being left in peace, perceived as a tool watch not a luxury piece. A few dents helps.

Steve
    about 20 years ago my brother, a now retired ship captain with a world ticket working in the offshore oil industry, once went to the loo and missed the group booked transport from one bar to the next in mexico and as it wasn't far (and he'd had a few) decided to walk. got 50 yards before he had a gun at his head and was relieved of his mobile phone, gold and titanium seiko kinetic and wallet.It happened near the port gates and after alerting security he found himself running around with the guards/police who were armed searching for muggers who were armed. he saw sense and naffed off back to his ship!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    about 20 years ago my brother, a now retired ship captain with a world ticket working in the offshore oil industry, once went to the loo and missed the group booked transport from one bar to the next in mexico and as it wasn't far (and he'd had a few) decided to walk. got 50 yards before he had a gun at his head and was relieved of his mobile phone, gold and titanium seiko kinetic and wallet.It happened near the port gates and after alerting security he found himself running around with the guards/police who were armed searching for muggers who were armed. he saw sense and naffed off back to his ship!
    I can well believe it! In African ports you could get a gun pulled on you for a pair of Raybans, let alone a watch.
    Steve