closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking shoe recommendations please.

Master
    Blog Entries

Walking shoe recommendations please.

Walking a lot more these days - three miles 6-8 times a week, mainly pavement.
    After recommendations for a decent walking shoe (or under ankle boot). Currently have Merrels that are on their last legs so looking around.

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    I'd be interested as I do much the same - walking about 4 miles a day and mainly on pavements. It's a pain when you randomly by a pair and then find they are not any good. Recommendation is always helpful!

Master
    for low miles and pavement id be inclined to get a really good trainer. Lovely and soft on the foot and knees or some mephisto walking shoes. Double up as a half decent casual bit of footwear also . I have some garmont dragon trail gtx things for outdoors activities. Solid trainer!

https://www.hardloop.co.uk/product/1...0ed902bd0d3165 bit OT for what i actually use them for but like them nonetheless

Craftsman
    I think I would like something a bit more robust than trainers especially if it rains however those Garmont Dragon trail look the part. Thanks

Craftsman
    I walk 3-4 miles a day on pavements and bought Adidas Terrex freehiker GTX

Absolutely fantastic and great on wet grass etc as well as it has a trail running shoe

The boost foam is great - as a runner who used to walk in old running shoes these are much better as they are warmer, waterproof, great sole and super comfy

Master
    I walk at least ten miles a day - work, dog walking and just walking for pleasure. My wide feet limit my choice of footwear. I usually have a few pairs of Merrell Moab Ventilators and Scarpa Vortex on the go. I also bought a pair of Hanwag Alta Bunion GTX just after Christmas. The Merrells and Scarpas are good for six or seven months at a time before the soles are trashed.

For formal shoes I go with Tricker’s and Loake. Any of their styles in wide fittings with thick soles.

Picked up a pair of these around the middle of last year

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1595928...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They often pop up in sales by Blacks and Go outdoors, think I paid around £80.00
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I must be honest..

I used to "scoff"! at people for wearing walking shoes...(I mean for walking the dog, casual walks etc...NOT serious walking!)...I do a lot of walking, walk the dog, etc...I always used to wear trainers...However, during this winter, I noticed trainers werent great at all, on slippery roads/pavements, they didnt keep my feet very warm....and of course....they were useless in the rain!

I looked online...bought a cheap pair (Karrimor) only about £35.00.......WELL IMPRESSED! Wish I would have bought some years ago!! Mine are only cheap ones...I dont do "serious" walking eg. mountains etc....but If the cheap ones I have are anything to go by....the more expensive ones would be even better.

Honestly wished Id have bought some years ago!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brasher, leather, are my go to walking stuff - got the lightweight boots for bad weather and the shoes for general . Regularly discounted at Millets

These days I'm favouring the idea of an approach shoe, mainly due to a lot of pavements I find myself treading on being like the foothills of the Andes just after a thunderstorm, combined with a tendency to wander off piste and a slightly gippy knee. Scarpa Crux appeal aesthetically, get good reviews ticking the boxes in the grip department, but I've yet to try them myself.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Walking a lot more these days - three miles 6-8 times a week, mainly pavement.
    After recommendations for a decent walking shoe (or under ankle boot). Currently have Merrels that are on their last legs so looking around.

Thanks in advance.

Stick to something that you have worn the most and have served you well Dave . You obviously like Merrils . If it was me then I would not change the brand.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

Absolutely fantastic and great on wet grass etc as well as it has a trail running shoe

The boost foam is great - as a runner who used to walk in old running shoes these are much better as they are warmer, waterproof, great sole and super comfy
    Seconded.

Got a couple of pairs now with this boost sole and they really are superb. Particularly for walking on hard surfaces such as pavements where you really appreciate the extra cushioning and shock absorption.

Also got a pair Hoka One Sky Kaha which feature a similar kind of sole. Albeit the looks are polarising.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

How does the sole hold up. The Continental rubber on the Ultraboost is rubbish. It wears down so quickly. I'd much rather get something with Vibram rubber as it seems to hold up so well.

You really need to try them on, which isn’t easy in lockdown, when choosing walking boots. I’ll therefore steer clear of specific recommendations, however… I bought some Berghaus Goretex boots and they are superb with amazing grip, but the soles (Vibram, so good stuff) are wearing heavily after less than 6-months. They are meant for off road use and pavements are killing them.

I’ve also bought some Adidas Terrex with the Continental soles, same as some Ultra Boost trainers I own, and they are much more suitable for pavement walking and still offer great grip.

My advice therefore is to aim for more ‘trainer’ / sport shoe styles and away from traditional walking boot brands if you’ll be on pavements mostly.

Craftsman
    ive gotto add KEEN into the mix ...lovely and comfortable and built for the job

Craftsman
    Boulder Boot / mid boot, by Lems

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I walk every lunchtime in an old pair of Keen boots, my missus walks into work every day in a pair of Merrell approach shoes.
    As an ex runner with a chronic injury I now feel every step and I really can tell the difference between my well fitting boots and my office shoes.

Keen are good but can be too wide for some.
    They come from Holland if buying direct so may incur additional costs now....

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Meindl Rapide. Most comfortable shoe (note I said shoe, not just walking shoe) I have ever worn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    How does the sole hold up. The Continental rubber on the Ultraboost is rubbish. It wears down so quickly. I'd much rather get something with Vibram rubber as it seems to hold up so well.
    Seems to be good so far but I’ve had them circa 6 weeks so early life yet

Craftsman
    These Columbia Wayfinder are great. Lightweight and very water resistant. Super comfy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DV3NS...RF8FRDMR95ZM70

If the weather is dry, good quality trainer/running shoe. If wet, I use a pair of Salomon XA Pros but will move to something by Scarpa once the Salomons need replacing.

Salomon's quick-lace system is fantastic. Wife and I are converts and been wearing them for a good few years now. Not sure why other brands have been so slow to introduce similar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Stick to something that you have worn the most and have served you well Dave . You obviously like Merrils . If it was me then I would not change the brand.
    Merrills seem to have gone downhill quality wise. My last pair lasted just over a year- the sole is nearly smooth and they started leaking.
    Saying that I’ve just had a pair of Scarpa Cyrus which are 4 mths old and stitching has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 0 View Post
    Seconded.

Got a couple of pairs now with this boost sole and they really are superb. Particularly for walking on hard surfaces such as pavements where you really appreciate the extra cushioning and shock absorption.

Also got a pair Hoka One Sky Kaha which feature a similar kind of sole. Albeit the looks are polarising.
    Another vote for these, also quite reserved style wise so can be worn beyond walking without looking too much out of place.

We did a 110 mile circuit of Leicestershire over 11 weeks first lockdown, in regatta trainer type walking shoes/boots. I could literally see through the soles of mine after!

I then bought the wife and i Scarpa gtx boots, we do 2 to 6 miles a day and 8-15 miles at the weekend, think we have done 2 to 300 miles in them and they show no signs of wear at all! I have waterproof sprayed them whenever I bothered to clean them and they are genuinely waterproof now, which was an annoyance with the other ones, especially walking through fields etc. Great boots, highly recommended 👍

I only tend to wear trekking boots. I tried Dr Martens, but they were nowhere near as comfortable. In respect to trekking boots I have been through many brands including Berghaus, Karrimor, Hi-Tec and Merrel. The latter three seem to wear at the same rate. I reckon that I average about 2 miles or so a day and I bin my boots after 6 months. The uppers are fine, but the heels are worn. Berghaus always seemed to last a bit longer. Make sure that you buy mid boots. I don't think higher ones are necessary unless you are doing more serious walking. Mids are lighter, and generally more comfortable. If you want cheap then buy Karrimor. I used to pick up 2-4 pairs at a time when they were in the sale.

I am about to try Bates boots. I have a pair of Raide mid boots in the queue to wear next. They are leather and man-made material construction. I got them from NightGear for £95.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    We did a 110 mile circuit of Leicestershire over 11 weeks first lockdown, in regatta trainer type walking shoes/boots. I could literally see through the soles of mine after!

I then bought the wife and i Scarpa gtx boots, we do 2 to 6 miles a day and 8-15 miles at the weekend, think we have done 2 to 300 miles in them and they show no signs of wear at all! I have waterproof sprayed them whenever I bothered to clean them and they are genuinely waterproof now, which was an annoyance with the other ones, especially walking through fields etc. Great boots, highly recommended 
    Which GTX Boots. As I said earlier my Scarpa Cyrus GTX are going back after & mths due to stitching failing. I might have been unlucky and they were comfortable but I expected better

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Which GTX Boots. As I said earlier my Scarpa Cyrus GTX are going back after & mths due to stitching failing. I might have been unlucky and they were comfortable but I expected better
    Terra 2, they seem indestructible at the minute!

Master
    Had these a while , highly recommended

https://www.millets.co.uk/15898033/b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    These days I'm favouring the idea of an approach shoe, mainly due to a lot of pavements I find myself treading on being like the foothills of the Andes just after a thunderstorm, combined with a tendency to wander off piste and a slightly gippy knee. Scarpa Crux appeal aesthetically, get good reviews ticking the boxes in the grip department, but I've yet to try them myself.
    Scarpa Crux for me too, mainly used for work travel but actually went off road in them for 1st time over Xmas to the top of Scafell Pike. They were perfect, great all round shoe

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    ... I also bought a pair of Hanwag Alta Bunion GTX just after Christmas. ...
    Out of interest, how large do the Hanwag boots wear (i.e. did you buy your normal size)? I have wide feet (H width +) so these could be just the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Out of interest, how large do the Hanwag boots wear (i.e. did you buy your normal size)? I have wide feet (H width +) so these could be just the job.
    Not nearly as wide as you think. If you have wide feet you'll want to try the next width up from wide which is bunion.

Craftsman
    Another shout for Salomon XA pros. I've had a couple of pairs over the years and can confirm they can take some serious abuse! I find the soles last way longer than more technical approach shoes and for everyday, multi terrain use I can't fault them. I've got loads of different trainers, boots and approach shoes for different activities but if I could only have one pair I'd go with the XA Pros. I prefer the non goretex version.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Pretty well true to size for me. They’re a light boot, which is no bad thing. Lowa are also worth thinking about too. Odd thing is that Scarpa (regarded as a narrow fit) also suit me, particularly the Vertex approach shoe and Baltoro fabric boot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Another shout for Salomon XA pros. I've had a couple of pairs over the years and can confirm they can take some serious abuse! I find the soles last way longer than more technical approach shoes and for everyday, multi terrain use I can't fault them. I've got loads of different trainers, boots and approach shoes for different activities but if I could only have one pair I'd go with the XA Pros. I prefer the non goretex version.

Now, that's just showing off!! Lol!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Now, that's just showing off!! Lol!
    I did find a picture of me painting the garden fence in them but it wasn't quite as interesting!

Craftsman
    I did find a picture of me painting the garden fence in them but it wasn't quite as interesting!

Are they waterproof/resistant - I've found a pair for a good price online which states 'breathable' but the water resistance is not particularly obvious from the description? Thanks

Used to walking in tennis shoes, but bought a pair of woven material running shoes at half the weight. Don't last as long though and heel back area tends to shred (gorilla tape the inside back)

New Balance seem to be recommended a bit

DON

They must be good if they can cushion the landing from that high up!

I live Salomon Trail Runners (no idea on the model) when in Africa, I tend to walk for miles (10+) on a game drive and they hold up really well to the African bush, a suburban pavement will be a doddle (apart from the land mines laid by dogs)
    My first pair must be 5 years old and are still going strong. In comparison my Adidas pair didn't last 10 days there.

(hmmm i might put them on SC)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th March 2021 at 16:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Are they waterproof/resistant - I've found a pair for a good price online which states 'breathable' but the water resistance is not particularly obvious from the description? Thanks
    They do a gore tex version which they will gaurentee as waterproof and a non gore tex version. I've always gone for the non goretex version as I find that my feet get sweaty in goretex trainers and water always finds its way in eventually through the top of the trainer. Once the water is in they take an age to dry.
    If it's wet in the summer i tend to put up with wet feet and quick drying non goretex trainers rather than wet feet and slow drying goretex trainers.
    If it's really wet I would choose lightweight goretex boots which do usually keep the water out.
    Also, I had to go a half size up for both my previous pairs of XA Pros.

Craftsman
    Grisport is my footwear of choice, have a pair of their safety footwear for work and both shoes and boots for leisure activities.

https://www.grisport.co.uk/

Craftsman
    "They must be good if they can cushion the landing from that high up!"

I think even a pair of Nike Air Max would struggle with a drop from that height!
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 8th March 2021 at 17:19.

Blog Entries
    Walk a lot with the dog and I like Scarpa Aspen, or Karrimor do some cheaper walking shoes which I find good for the summer. Reckon to replace them each year really.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Grisport seem to do a good range and I like the look of the Salomon Trail runners and they appear to do 1/2 sizes which is always good.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Grisport. These fitted like a glove straight out of the box. Walk the dog in them every day. On pavement and fields.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I never know if shoes described as 'fitting like a glove' is a positive or negative comment

Craftsman
    I never know if shoes described as 'fitting like a glove' is a positive or negative comment

Quite normal if you live in the 'Swamps' maybe !!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Another vote for Grisport. These fitted like a glove straight out of the box. Walk the dog in them every day. On pavement and fields.

Joking aside - do they fit true to size?

Journeyman
    True to size. Mind you I do have 6 toes