closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Been a while so time for an updated SOTC

Been a while so time for an updated SOTC

A chat with a fellow TZ-UK member and friend after I listed my 6542 on SC made me realise it has been a while since I posted an SOTC and there have been a number of changes so I thought I’d post one now before the next major surgery takes place!

This was an attempt at a (majority of the) “collection in one photo” shot that I took over the Christmas period, after I had completed the Iconic Watches jigsaw:

I’m not sure I have individual pics of them all but I’ll see what I can do from left to right and top to bottom...

TOP ROW

Rolex Daytona 16520 (Zenith):

Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321:

Patek 3712 Nautilus:

F.P. Journe Resonance 40mm Platinum case, White Gold dial, 1499.2 movement:

F.P Journe Octa Lune 38mm Platinum case, Yellow Gold dial, brass movement:

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 5402:

Rolex ceramic Pepsi 126710BLRO (Mark 1):

MIDDLE ROW

CWC 1980 Royal Navy Diver Reissue:

Rolex 1680 Red Sub:

Vintage Zenith A386 El Primero:

Rolex 6542 GMT Master with Bakelite bezel:

Vintage Glashutte Sixties:

Kurono Mori:

Vintage Omega Seamaster with tropical gilt dial:

BOTTOM ROW:

Timefactors Dreadnought PRS-21 Voyager:

Three Vintage Squale Blandford Ocean Divers (two pictured here with a cheapy Blandford quartz beater. Don’t ask me why I acquired a second blue dial version that’s exactly the same though...!)

Two Casioaks (black version with an AP style bezel and bracelet mod, pictured here in a Christmas tree formation with the AP 5402 on top!):

Ming 18.01 H41 Diver:

Oh, and I picked up a bronze Longines Legend Diver after the photo was taken too:

Hope that wasn’t too boring (especially to anyone who might be unfortunate enough to follow @F1PTB on Instagram and have already seen all of those pictures...!)

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide more info if anyone is interested in any of the watches in particular.

All the best,

Paul

That is a stupendous collection. I’m green with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    That is a stupendous collection. I’m green with envy.
    This - some really great stuff!.

Thanks for sharing Paul.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Some right old tat there. I'd be embarrassed.

Had to do a double take as I initially included the background jigsaw!!

Awesome.

Blog Entries
    Oh my. For me the F.P. Journe Resonance stands out - but really, that set is impressive on so many fronts.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oh my. For me the F.P. Journe Resonance stands out - but really, that set is impressive on so many fronts.
    Same for me. The dial work is impeccable.

Fantastic collection, but a pretty iconic view from your living room to boot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Awesome.
    You and me both. I broke out in a sweat

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Stunning collection, something for everyone in there! The hands on the Journe watches are gorgeous.

Superb collection. Always love the CWC 1980 reissue but those F.P. Journe are the absolute highlights!

Master
    Just picking my jaw up off the floor.

Cheers all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Some right old tat there. I'd be embarrassed.
    I can promise you the next one to arrive is brand new...!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Awesome.
    Haha! That would have been slightly more impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thank you! The Resonance is definitely my favourite of the current collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Fantastic collection, but a pretty iconic view from your living room to boot!!
    Cheers! The view isn’t bad, considering technically speaking I’m living in a building site...!

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    Stunning collection, something for everyone in there! The hands on the Journe watches are gorgeous.
    I’m glad you said that as I have specifically tried to build a collection where each watch brings something different to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Superb collection. Always love the CWC 1980 reissue but those F.P. Journe are the absolute highlights!
    The CWC is an underrated watch for sure... but I agree with you on the Journe being another level!

Master
    Outstanding! Particularly love the Kurono and nice to see a fellow owner on the forum.

Really is a nice collection and a great mix - in brands, complications and styles. Good to see an Eddie too - I still love my Voyager.

How are you finding the Ming Diver now you've had it for a while? It's become one of my absolute favourites!

Some stunning watches, as always Paul :)
    It's just a matter of time...

One or two nice pieces there

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    Outstanding! Particularly love the Kurono and nice to see a fellow owner on the forum.
    Cheers! The Kurono is great, isn’t it? The dial in particular is incredible! I was tempted by the latest chrono but felt that the thickness would mean it didn’t feel anywhere near as balanced as the Mori does on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Really is a nice collection and a great mix - in brands, complications and styles. Good to see an Eddie too - I still love my Voyager.

How are you finding the Ming Diver now you've had it for a while? It's become one of my absolute favourites!
    I love the Voyager too and despite the fact that I rarely wear it these days, I would never sell it. The Diver is the first Ming I have owned and I think the bracelet is great and it photographs really well (even for an amateur like me!) I’m torn about the proportions of it though... I know it’s thin for the depth rating but there’s part of me that thinks I would wear the slate 17.06 more (if anyone happens to own one and would like to discuss a trade...?)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Some stunning watches, as always Paul :)
    Thanks Scott! You could be commenting on your own collection, to be fair...!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    One or two nice pieces there
    Cheers! I’ve been very lucky with a few of them!

Incredible and well varied collection. I had follow you on Instagram but had no idea you were on the forum. Will be interesting to see what the grail is after the GMT sells.

Not much more to be said, Paul. Other than lunch is a year or two overdue.

Yikes. That top row is like a dream line up.

A great line up there. Best SOTC for quite a while.

Stunning collection.

Paul. like you stated all slightly different and a timepiece for every occasion.

My choices are the two beautiful vintage Rolex pieces, 3712 and of course the the 2 FPJ's which I have a large soft spot for.

How you ever considered adding a Perpetual Calendar to the mix?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not much more to say about the collection, sublime.

That said I really need that jigsaw in my life, are they available anywhere?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Scrub that, found them.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Not much more to say about the collection, sublime.

That said I really need that jigsaw in my life, are they available anywhere?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Lovely collection! Thanks for taming the time to take all those pics! Some beautiful pieces!

Happy Sunday

S

Wow what a collection, I'm on the look out for the jigsaw too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’ve just seen this, Paul. Only one word for it....sensational!

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Cheers! The Kurono is great, isn’t it? The dial in particular is incredible! I was tempted by the latest chrono but felt that the thickness would mean it didn’t feel anywhere near as balanced as the Mori does on the wrist.

I love the Voyager too and despite the fact that I rarely wear it these days, I would never sell it. The Diver is the first Ming I have owned and I think the bracelet is great and it photographs really well (even for an amateur like me!) I’m torn about the proportions of it though... I know it’s thin for the depth rating but there’s part of me that thinks I would wear the slate 17.06 more (if anyone happens to own one and would like to discuss a trade...?)

Decided to dust off the Voyager today! It's travelled and experienced some great adventures with me!

Ming Diver - I've thought about the proportions. it's the polished case that emphasises the thickness (side note, the polished titanium is up there with the best polish Ti, like the Snowflake). I don't think the thickness bothers me on the wrist however, I've certainly not banged it. Maybe worth trying on a strap (I have it on a custom rubber from Jean Rosseau) or even a perlon which I think works well. What I would say is the 1706s are not at the level of finishing and finesse as the pricier Mings. There was a DLC Slate on chrono 24, that would have been interesting, but seems sold now.

ddm27 has the kurono chono - wears much better than the size suggests, but I like your Mori too.

Looking forward to seeing what your next arrival is!

Fabulous watches but what about the little robot man watch stand thingy, love it!

Journeyman
    Truly, truly amazing collection thanks for sharing.

Wow, that is some collection.
    A proper mix of modern and vintage and across the full range of price spectrum.
    Not boring at all. Thanks for sharing

Master
    What a collection! A number of beautiful pieces there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Gosh and what an amazing collection. I love the Journe, it’s truly fantastic and prices for these are just unobtainium for me now
    I also really like the vintage GO sixties, it’s a great look.
    Anyway thanks for posting your excellent taste!

Craftsman
    Wow, just wow! Some exquisite examples of the forum favourites, alongside a breathtaking collection of more unusual pieces. So good to see some independents on the forum.

Can’t wait to see the incoming - on the basis of what you have already, and what you’re letting go of, I imagine it’s going to be quite special.

Thanks for sharing,
    TPT

Master
    Very nice Paul. The FPJs we're a nice pick up. A very special collection.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Incredible and well varied collection. I had follow you on Instagram but had no idea you were on the forum. Will be interesting to see what the grail is after the GMT sells.
    Cheers! I recognised your username from the posts on the Voyager pic but I joined here way before I had F1PTB (or anything exciting to put it on...!)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not much more to be said, Paul. Other than lunch is a year or two overdue.
    Tell me about it, Tony! We can blame coronavirus for one of those years... but must get something in the diary when Boris permits!

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Stunning collection.

Paul. like you stated all slightly different and a timepiece for every occasion.

My choices are the two beautiful vintage Rolex pieces, 3712 and of course the the 2 FPJ's which I have a large soft spot for.

How you ever considered adding a Perpetual Calendar to the mix?
    You have great taste (although you missed the 5402 from my personal favourites too!)

I really liked the look of the Legacy Machine Perpetual Evo but haven’t had the chance to try one on... and now they’ve all sold out!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Lovely collection! Thanks for taming the time to take all those pics! Some beautiful pieces!

Happy Sunday

S
    Thanks Seb - Happy Sunday to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    Wow what a collection, I'm on the look out for the jigsaw too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    The jigsaw is available on Amazon... enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I’ve just seen this, Paul. Only one word for it....sensational!
    Cheers John - it was our conversation that prompted the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Decided to dust off the Voyager today! It's travelled and experienced some great adventures with me!

Ming Diver - I've thought about the proportions. it's the polished case that emphasises the thickness (side note, the polished titanium is up there with the best polish Ti, like the Snowflake). I don't think the thickness bothers me on the wrist however, I've certainly not banged it. Maybe worth trying on a strap (I have it on a custom rubber from Jean Rosseau) or even a perlon which I think works well. What I would say is the 1706s are not at the level of finishing and finesse as the pricier Mings. There was a DLC Slate on chrono 24, that would have been interesting, but seems sold now.

ddm27 has the kurono chono - wears much better than the size suggests, but I like your Mori too.

Looking forward to seeing what your next arrival is!
    I know what you mean about the Voyager - it’s been to the top of Table Mountain, Lion’s Head and Diamond Head with me and is a perfect adventure watch!

I’ve put the Ming Diver on a couple of the Journe straps as they’re interchangeable and personally think it is better back on the bracelet but still not sure it will be a keeper. I’ve also put the bracelet on both Journes and it looks bloody good on them too! If the finishing on the 17.06 isn’t quite up there then maybe I need to wait and see what comes out of the SPC...?

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Fabulous watches but what about the little robot man watch stand thingy, love it!

That’s a Robotoy from MB&F! Not cheap and not always in stock if you look on the website but a great fun way to display watches!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Gosh and what an amazing collection. I love the Journe, it’s truly fantastic and prices for these are just unobtainium for me now
    I also really like the vintage GO sixties, it’s a great look.
    Anyway thanks for posting your excellent taste!
    I picked up the vintage Glashutte for a couple of hundred quid a few years ago. Not sure what they’re going for these days but I expect you can find a decent example for less than £500 if you wanted to?

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    Wow, just wow! Some exquisite examples of the forum favourites, alongside a breathtaking collection of more unusual pieces. So good to see some independents on the forum.

Can’t wait to see the incoming - on the basis of what you have already, and what you’re letting go of, I imagine it’s going to be quite special.

Thanks for sharing,
    TPT
    Thank you! The incoming will definitely be continuing the independents theme...

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Very nice Paul. The FPJs we're a nice pick up. A very special collection.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
    Cheers Alun! Hope you’re keeping safe and well.

Journeyman
    Wow, just wow, stunning collection.

That CWC on the desert sand nato looks delish!

Thanks again all!

I really liked the look of the Legacy Machine Perpetual Evo but haven’t had the chance to try one on... and now they’ve all sold out!

I know what you mean about the Voyager - it’s been to the top of Table Mountain, Lion’s Head and Diamond Head with me and is a perfect adventure watch!

I’ve put the Ming Diver on a couple of the Journe straps as they’re interchangeable and personally think it is better back on the bracelet but still not sure it will be a keeper. I’ve also put the bracelet on both Journes and it looks bloody good on them too! If the finishing on the 17.06 isn’t quite up there then maybe I need to wait and see what comes out of the SPC...?

That’s a Robotoy from MB&F! Not cheap and not always in stock if you look on the website but a great fun way to display watches!
    Yea fair enough on the Diver if you've tried various combos! Doesn't surprise me the bracelet working on the Journes - it is a fantastic piece of kit!

The pricier Ming's are nicer - the 1901 is probably my favourite watch in the collection. There is also the Mosaic flagship later this year, but not sure on the mosiac look - think i would tire of it. On SPC - in general I expect it an avenue for Ming to flex their horological muscle, so I guess most pieces won't be cheap, but from what we've seen of the mosaic chrono, the quality and aesthetics will be superb.

The Legacy Machines are great - but you do have to try them on, they can be a little hard to wear.

Robotoys - if people think the MB&F version is pricey, google around for alternatives....they're out there!

Master
    That's quite the collection Paul, I don't envy you the insurance costs! My favourite is probably the Seamaster but then I do like a more conventional looking watch

Not much I can add to previous comments. They’ve all said you’ve got a fantastic collection and they’re right. Some really lovely watches there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic collection.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Stunning collection and a great background! One of my favourite instagram accounts to follow.

Master
    Another round of thanks for sharing your collection. Certainly covers pretty much the whole spectrum of watches.

For me the Kurono stands out, I really like the design of these and would be one of my dream watches.

Generally I am not a fan of tropical dials but your Omega is beautiful.

Thanks again.

Journeyman
    Great collection. The FPJs would have to be my highlight. Dream watches

Amazing collection. When I see a collection like this I’m always curious as to when/how you got into watches and how you have amassed such a collection. If you can be bothered to give us some of the history that would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Stunning collection and a great background! One of my favourite instagram accounts to follow.
    Wow - cheers Christian! I’m trying to figure out which Christian you are on Instagram? (Feel free to drop me a DM on there if you don’t want to post on here)

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Another round of thanks for sharing your collection. Certainly covers pretty much the whole spectrum of watches.

For me the Kurono stands out, I really like the design of these and would be one of my dream watches.

Generally I am not a fan of tropical dials but your Omega is beautiful.

Thanks again.
    The Kurono is a beautiful watch and I have been tempted to search for the blue dial version too but they’re like hen’s teeth...!

Having said that, both the Kurono and the Omega could be on the chopping block, along with a load of the others if the 6542 doesn’t find a new home...

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Amazing collection. When I see a collection like this I’m always curious as to when/how you got into watches and how you have amassed such a collection. If you can be bothered to give us some of the history that would be appreciated

Great question! The short answer is that I’ve been collecting for nearly a couple of decades now. Like a number of others, I’m a car geek as well as a watch geek and spent a fair amount of time on both a brand specific forum and PistonHeads. The PistonHeads watch forum then led me to TZ-UK and this was my first post back in 2009:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t-the-flu-quot

It’s fair to say the collection has changed a fair bit since then!!! (I do still have the Kirium F1 as I got it for my 21st birthday and so wouldn’t sell it even if they were actually worth anything these days...!)

From there it was a story that will be familiar to many on here: I bought and sold a few whilst working out what I actually liked in a watch and each time I saved a bit of money or got a promotion or bonus at work, it inevitably got directed towards watches more than cars!

I owned the Z4M Coupe in my avatar from new for 11 years and the watch collection changed considerably in that time! (The Z4MC has now gone but I couldn’t seem to get the avatar updated to reflect the replacement and that has now been replaced too so maybe I’m destined to stick with it?!)

Each time I bought a new watch, I found a way to justify spending more on it than the last one and went from hating Rolex to loving them and then to appreciating them for what they are (great watches and stores of value!) but realising there are many more potentially exciting options out there...

Which pretty much brings us up-to-date! I’ve been very lucky with both Journes in that I purchased them just before prices went crazy. It’s fair to say I couldn’t afford to pay what they’re going for these days without having a serious word with myself...!

(The incoming will prove the “I” in WIS, that’s for sure!)

A fabulous collection of some stunning watches.

Thanks for sharing

Wow - cheers Christian! I’m trying to figure out which Christian you are on Instagram? (Feel free to drop me a DM on there if you don’t want to post on here)

The Kurono is a beautiful watch and I have been tempted to search for the blue dial version too but they’re like hen’s teeth...!

Having said that, both the Kurono and the Omega could be on the chopping block, along with a load of the others if the 6542 doesn’t find a new home...

Great question! The short answer is that I’ve been collecting for nearly a couple of decades now. Like a number of others, I’m a car geek as well as a watch geek and spent a fair amount of time on both a brand specific forum and PistonHeads. The PistonHeads watch forum then led me to TZ-UK and this was my first post back in 2009:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t-the-flu-quot

It’s fair to say the collection has changed a fair bit since then!!! (I do still have the Kirium F1 as I got it for my 21st birthday and so wouldn’t sell it even if they were actually worth anything these days...!)

From there it was a story that will be familiar to many on here: I bought and sold a few whilst working out what I actually liked in a watch and each time I saved a bit of money or got a promotion or bonus at work, it inevitably got directed towards watches more than cars!

I owned the Z4M Coupe in my avatar from new for 11 years and the watch collection changed considerably in that time! (The Z4MC has now gone but I couldn’t seem to get the avatar updated to reflect the replacement and that has now been replaced too so maybe I’m destined to stick with it?!)

Each time I bought a new watch, I found a way to justify spending more on it than the last one and went from hating Rolex to loving them and then to appreciating them for what they are (great watches and stores of value!) but realising there are many more potentially exciting options out there...

Which pretty much brings us up-to-date! I’ve been very lucky with both Journes in that I purchased them just before prices went crazy. It’s fair to say I couldn’t afford to pay what they’re going for these days without having a serious word with myself...!

(The incoming will prove the “I” in WIS, that’s for sure!)
    Thanks for the response and I’m looking forward to seeing the incoming !