closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycling Classics this Spring. Tom Pidcock

Blog Entries

Cycling Classics this Spring. Tom Pidcock

Ineos Grenadiers' Tom Pidcock is doing great. During the winter during the cycle cross races in Belgium. Now, during the Spring Classics on the road. Again, he's attacking and in the first group of the Strada Bianca as we speak.

Keep an eye out. Tom looks as if he's going to be a real cycling star!

Menno

Blog Entries
    And MvdP wins!

Master
    Terrific race I thought. MVDP is something else...the power he can lay down is jaw dropping.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great race.

Master

Cycling Classics this Spring. Tom Pidcock

It’s going to take something special to beat MvdP, WvA and Alaphillipe this Spring. I don’t expect much from Pidcock in terms of wins for a few seasons yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lughugger; 6th March 2021 at 19:06.

Master
    I think he has a great chance in some of the smaller stage races.

Blog Entries
    MvdP is really special, but he can have a flat tyre as well (last Strada Bianco). Those are for now Pidcock's moments. Remember, he's very, very young!! Only 21, 22 this Summer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pidcock is just a nipper, hopefully he can grow with his obvious talent.

Craftsman
    He’s a real talent. He’s pretty much been a guaranteed third to MVP and Van Aert in every cyclocross race this year.

Ineos/Sky have never invested heavily in the classics so any result would be pretty special. Hope they look after him and Tao. There’s a lot of talent in Ineos so it could be easy for them to be neglected. He’s young but Siv is only 23 and Bernal 24

Master
    He’s a great talent, but it was Bernal that surprised me today - 3rd is a great result for a 3 week GC winner.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    He’s a real talent. He’s pretty much been a guaranteed third to MVP and Van Aert in every cyclocross race this year.

Ineos/Sky have never invested heavily in the classics so any result would be pretty special. Hope they look after him and Tao. There’s a lot of talent in Ineos so it could be easy for them to be neglected. He’s young but Siv is only 23 and Bernal 24
    The team is notorious for sucking the life out of prospective Classics winners. Let’s hope Brailsford puts his money where his mouth is and we see the team rival the Wolf Pack this year.

It would be tragic to see his Classics potential wasted by being hoisted on Ineos’ Grand Tour petard.

Having said that, it strikes me that Pidcock’s more than capable of reading a race and doesn’t need a DS in his ear in much the same way as dare I say, Sagan. I hope the confidence of youth gets the better of him and we see some exciting rides over the next month or so.

Great race today. Undoubtably one of the stand out events on the calendar every year.

Blog Entries

That hill is steep! About Pidcock:

^^ this ^^

BTW, MvdP is not riding with Canyon's 'normal' material: three days ago, the handlebars on vdP's bike broke during in the final stage of Le Samyn earlier this week! All top-end Canyons used by Alpecin are changed. The Flemish tv (normally on top of things) was unable to recognize the current brand of the fork and handlebars.
    Last edited by thieuster; 7th March 2021 at 00:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    BTW, MvdP is not riding with Canyon's 'normal' material: three days ago, the handlebars on vdP's bike broke during in the final stage of Le Samyn earlier this week! All top-end Canyons used by Alpecin are changed. The Flemish tv (normally on top of things) was unable to recognize the current brand of the fork and handlebars.
    Haha yeah that was something. Clearly couldn’t handle MVP’s power. Think they’ve recalled all new Aeroads so clearly a big issue with the cockpit!

Looking forward to this years racing. Some epic racing last year notwithstanding circumstances so fingers crossed this year is even better!

Master
    that was great to watch and MVDP is a real beast on the bike - even though his socks are too long :)

Bernal looks on good form for the Giro...

Blog Entries
    even though his socks are too long :)
    Flemish TV airs Paris - Nice. A quick look at the MvdP picture and a quick look at the TV screen shows a 50/50 ratio in the peloton. Are longer socks en vogue?

Master
    they might be - I know the UCI have rules on sock length but I'm not clued up on them!

shame to see Ritchie has hit the floor (in P-N) - hope he can continue..

ah damn, Ritchie abandons P-N....
    Last edited by bry nylon; 7th March 2021 at 16:49.

Master
    He’s out.

Pete

The next month will be great watching MVP, Van Aert and Allaphillipe battle it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Pfffff! 1000 Watts during 20 sec.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those power figures are mind boggling.

He’s roughly able to match me with one leg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    The next month will be great watching MVP, Van Aert and Allaphillipe battle it out.

yes indeed, can't wait for the next instalment! I wonder if Peter Sagan will get much of a look in now?

Master
    Sagan was (one of) my favourite riders to watch in the Classics / one day races / Tour stages with this kind of profile for some time but I can't see him turning it around to be able to challenge WvA, MvdP, JA, Herschi and others. Not so much the lack of ability as the lack of desire. Last year he just looked fat and sluggish if I'm brutally honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    yes indeed, can't wait for the next instalment! I wonder if Peter Sagan will get much of a look in now?
    How’s his recovery from COVID going? I’d never write him off but perhaps he’s a better bet for points jerseys rather than Classics wins with this new generation cleaning up.

Master
    Flemish TV airs Paris - Nice. A quick look at the MvdP picture and a quick look at the TV screen shows a 50/50 ratio in the peloton. Are longer socks en vogue?
    More aero but there are restrictions:
    “Socks and overshoes used in competition may not rise above the height defined by half the distance between the middle of the lateral malleolus and the middle of the fibula head.”

Craftsman
    Pfffff! 1000 Watts during 20 sec.

For me the crazy number is after 3 hours of riding he could put out 440 watts of normalised power for 90 minutes!

Is it still spring? Not concerning Tom Pidcock but...Taco van der Hoorn did a great job today in the GdI.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th May 2021 at 18:32. Reason: emphasis for Taco van der Hoorn

Tom did win his first mountain bike race back this spring though... by more than 3 minutes

According to the Cycling Weekly article he'll be in the Ineos squad for the Vuelta but also looks like he'll be focusing on the mountain bike for the Olympics. Not bad for a 21 year old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Is it still spring? Not concerning Tom Pidcock but...Taco van der Hoorn did a great job today in the GdI.
    Sadly I didn't get the chance to see it. First time in the Giro. Nice! BTW, does Pidcock start at the Olympics? VdP wants to go and he has switched to mountain biking (winning his 2021 debut...)

The number of successes in designated mountain bike events leading to the Olympics are recalculated into a start position ranking during the Olympics: more successes = starting on the first row.
    Last edited by thieuster; 10th May 2021 at 18:35.

Sadly I didn't get the chance to see it. First time in the Giro. Nice!
    First time in any of the Grand Tours!

Can you get www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show/giro-ditalia-highlights via a VPN or otherwise? Then again, surely highlights are also shown on your local TV.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th May 2021 at 18:39.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    First time in any of the Grand Tours!

Can you get www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show/giro-ditalia-highlights via a VPN or otherwise? Then again, surely highlights are also shown on your local TV.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try later this evening.

Thanks! I'll give it a try later this evening.
    If you've managed to connect then the highlights of day 4 (now showing the correct video...which it wasn't last night) are worth a watch at 1m 40s where they show the interior of the Intermarché team car as Taco van der Hoorn rides the last few kilometres on day 3: https://www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show...lia-highlights.

Blog Entries
    Dutch papers are euphoric about Pidcock's race in Czechoslovakia today. VdP won but it was a close finish with Pidcock. Papers regard him as a serious contender for the gold medal mountain biking in Tokyo.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    They're faster!

GdI today...the breakaway was stopped for 1 min at a level crossing. Apparently this is a 'normal racing incident' and they just have to accept the cut in their lead over the peloton.

Dutch papers are euphoric about Pidcock's race in Czechoslovakia today. VdP won but it was a close finish with Pidcock. Papers regard him as a serious contender for the gold medal mountain biking in Tokyo.

Menno
    Seems to be coming in to good form with his first elite win in Croatia finally beating VDP. Certainly a contender for the gold.....