closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 640d convertible- Talk to me

Master
    Blog Entries

BMW 640d convertible- Talk to me

I’m in a position now where I need a reasonably quick yet fairly frugal car as I’m travelling from Oxford to Suffolk most weekends to see my daughter. Having had my SL350 stolen and living with a basic 1.6tdi car for the past few months I want the refinements of a premium brand with the power of a sporty car and the diesel economy.
    The 640 looks good to my eye but my budget won’t stretch to an LCI. I’m looking at 15k ish and want the M Sport model... are they any good and are they reliable?

I had the convertible and then the grande coupe and they are fantastic cars. Both of them M sports are I preferred the look and drive. Re the convertible, has great get up and go, will eat the motorway miles up and a great car.

The only negative I could find on the convertible and why I moved the to grand coupe was the rear seat space, for such a large car it is woeful. Good luck with your search

I looked at a convertible once, a friend said “but you’re not a drug dealer”

I bought a tanzanite blue 640D M sport, great looking car, I think they are good cars, do most things ok, unfortunately I ended up Suing the Dealer it had faults they couldn’t fix,

Master
    I had a 650i convertible for two years and about 45k miles and enjoyed every minute of it, great car.

I'm personally not a fan of diesel convertibles as hard for me to reconcile roof down motoring with the sound and smell of a diesel but I do get the economy bit.

Just remember they were big ££'s when new so if you do get a bill, it's not normally a cheap one. For instance you have to remove a front wing to get the front light cluster out on a 650, might be the same on the 640d too. DPF's are the big timebomb on older BMW diesels if the car hasn't lived on a motorway to regularly re-generate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback.
    A mate of mine has a 16 plate In white and it certainly goes well and looks pretty cool to my mind.
    Spoke to him last night and he said he’s fitted Eibach springs and 15nm spacers and it’s a different car

Don't they have a reputation for eating rear tyres?

A colleague of mine had one and seemed to like it.

He did replace it with a M6 though.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Currently very tempted by a 640d se coupe. Seems crazy value vs increment for M Sport

Pretty much all car ever need. Plenty of torque and mod cons

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback.
    A mate of mine has a 16 plate In white and it certainly goes well and looks pretty cool to my mind.
    Spoke to him last night and he said he’s fitted Eibach springs and 15nm spacers and it’s a different car
    Not sure how much difference 15 nanometer spacers could make, but if he thinks it's better that's all that matters :)

Master
    The 650 is simply an absolute beast and from simply starting the car up, I used to smile. Lots of refinement and just a great comfortable car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had a 640d Gran Coupe for 2.5 years now. Covered about 20k miles with no issues (it was 2 years / 30k when I bought it). Haven't had any issues with it other than one of the front bumper cameras has misted up. It's all seems very solid build and we'll finished. It's economical and relatively quick for a diesel, I've come from having company 2l diesels for years so I guess it's all relative. I normally change every 2 years but will keep this one a bit longer, for the money you can get them for they are very good value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Not sure how much difference 15 nanometer spacers could make, but if he thinks it's better that's all that matters :)
    But 15 nautical mile spacers would be too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me butting in, but you have just given me a valuable insight.

I have spent several months looking at tired, overpriced Jaguar XKRs, and time bomb SL500s.

I need a new convertible to replace a recently deceased SLK320, and I hadn't even considered the 6 series.

Interestingly, the 6 Cabriolet seldom appears in grand touring comparisons, yet appears to be a fine car.

The diesel wouldn't concern me, and may work to my advantage given the current negative perception.

Thanks again.