closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Setting up an email alias for an outlook.com account

Setting up an email alias for an outlook.com account

Hi all - a bit of advice would be appreciated as I've managed to totally confuse myself following some online research.

Many, many years ago I set up a hotmail account that I later converted to xxx@outlook (.com). I never actually used it for anything, though, so when i started to set up all my photography-related things recently I decided that I may as well adopt it as my photography email address. Accordingly, it's now on my photography website as a contact email address in addition to a lot of other things.

I'm very conscious that using an outlook.com address might seem a bit unprofessional (and potentially off-putting) to some, and ideally I'd like to use either tony@tonyangel (.com) or tony@tonyangelimages (.com) instead. However, I'd like to avoid paying for yet another email account if at all possible (otherwise I know I can arrange it through either Squarespace, who host my website and domain, or through Google Business, who Squarespace would use anyway).

Is there a way that I can instead set up an alias on my outlook.com account, which I can then use in my MS Outlook desktop client in such a way that I can both receive emails from the alias and reply using the new address?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hi all - a bit of advice would be appreciated as I've managed to totally confuse myself following some online research.

Many, many years ago I set up a hotmail account that I later converted to xxx@outlook (.com). I never actually used it for anything, though, so when i started to set up all my photography-related things recently I decided that I may as well adopt it as my photography email address. Accordingly, it's now on my photography website as a contact email address in addition to a lot of other things.

I'm very conscious that using an outlook.com address might seem a bit unprofessional (and potentially off-putting) to some, and ideally I'd like to use either tony@tonyangel (.com) or tony@tonyangelimages (.com) instead. However, I'd like to avoid paying for yet another email account if at all possible (otherwise I know I can arrange it through either Squarespace, who host my website and domain, or through Google Business, who Squarespace would use anyway).

Is there a way that I can instead set up an alias on my outlook.com account, which I can then use in my MS Outlook desktop client in such a way that I can both receive emails from the alias and reply using the new address?

Do you have any existing mailboxes on @tonyangel (.com) or @tonyangelimages (.com) ?

I believe that it might be possible if you have outlook.com premium but that’s a paid for service that closed to new subscriptions some years back.

Even then I suspect you’ll just be kicking the can down the road, and will have to move to a paid platform at some point.

The obvious question is do you already use office 365 or Google doc’s or have a preference for one over the other?
    If so consider taking up one of there plans, I know on 365 you can have one mailbox with multiple aliases so we have support@widgets.com, contact@, accounts@, etc all going to a couple of mailboxes so I fully expect Google can too.

If not you can look to cheaper options I haven’t got much experience with these but again it should be technically feasible to have multiple aliases to one account but you’d need to do due diligence. That said I don’t see the cost saving enough personally.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/be...ting-providers

I think our office 365 exchange mail only plans are around £3 /m more obviously if you want access to local office apps.

Who looks after your domain for you ?

Most domain reg services will offer you (proably included) 2 services -

Email forwarding - so something at your domain will point to your yahoo mail. This is the simplest solution but replies will come from your yahoo account.
    Mail box - this will let you send/receive mail - you can then add the account to outlook/mobile etc. so you get your mail all in one place.##

Here is the explantion for 123reg

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/em...ing-explained/

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/em...with-123-mail/

You could also adjust your MX records and manage via google mail but the above is the easiest solution and you are probably already paying for the service anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Do you have any existing mailboxes on @tonyangel (.com) or @tonyangelimages (.com) ?

I believe that it might be possible if you have outlook.com premium but that’s a paid for service that closed to new subscriptions some years back.

Even then I suspect you’ll just be kicking the can down the road, and will have to move to a paid platform at some point.

The obvious question is do you already use office 365 or Google doc’s or have a preference for one over the other?
    If so consider taking up one of there plans, I know on 365 you can have one mailbox with multiple aliases so we have support@widgets.com, contact@, accounts@, etc all going to a couple of mailboxes so I fully expect Google can too.

If not you can look to cheaper options I haven’t got much experience with these but again it should be technically feasible to have multiple aliases to one account but you’d need to do due diligence. That said I don’t see the cost saving enough personally.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/be...ting-providers

I think our office 365 exchange mail only plans are around £3 /m more obviously if you want access to local office apps.
    No, I don't have any existing/suitable mailboxes, and I take your point about kicking the can down the road.

I use Microsoft 365 (Family) at present, and Outlook is set up for my primary/other business email account (I have my named account, and then both info@ and accounts@). I'm pretty sure I'd need someone to host email provision for my photography domain before I could add it as a new account within MS Outlook, though.

Assuming the above is correct, my photography website domain is hosted by Squarespace for a multitude of reasons, and they don't offer a plan that includes email hosting; they'll help set email up on the same domain, but they just do that using a paid service through Google.

There's no easy answer, it seems, save for a paid service.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th March 2021 at 12:51.

Hang on... what's this all about?

Edit: strike that - they'll only let you play if your domain is registered with Godaddy!! Damn and blast!

Master
    As you already have office 365 for home you can get an exchange account for chips

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...xchange-online

And once established upgrade the licence to cover app use if needed.

Hang on... what's this all about?

Edit: strike that - they'll only let you play if your domain is registered with Godaddy!! Damn and blast!
    Can you transfer to Godaddy?

As you already have office 365 for home you can get an exchange account for chips

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...xchange-online

And once established upgrade the licence to cover app use if needed.
    Ah, thanks! I reckon I can live with £3 per month... will have a proper look at it later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can you transfer to Godaddy?
    Yes, but I don't want to. There are advantages in Squarespace hosting both the domain and the website.

Master
    Yes, but I don't want to. There are advantages in Squarespace hosting both the domain and the website.
    Out of interest what are they?

Out of interest what are they?
    Convenience in the main, as I can manage both the domain and the website within a single account & dashboard. I can also manage consistency/inconsistency/issues between the standard and custom domains very easily.

The support from Squarespace is also very good indeed.

Master
    Convenience in the main, as I can manage both the domain and the website within a single account & dashboard. I can also manage consistency/inconsistency/issues between the standard and custom domains very easily.

The support from Squarespace is also very good indeed.
    Que?

I host our site on squarespace with the domain registered elsewhere and haven’t experienced any issues so still unsure what the benefits are other than one management portal.

Master
    Years ago I did somehow import my own .com domain into Outlook, so that I can send and receive mails using the MS webmail client. I'm pretty sure it was free but it was 7 or 8 years ago. All I pay for is the domain name, I don't pay MS for anything.

Googled this just now:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...o365-worldwide

I saw your Outlook email on your website this morning and was going to pop you a message to jump over to Google apps for business but thought it a bit interfering.

Having your business email in Gmail has a lot of advantages, not just the associated storage and calender stuff.

£4.14pm for the cheapest option. Would definitely suggest looking into it.

https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_uk/pricing.html

Que?

I host our site on squarespace with the domain registered elsewhere and haven’t experienced any issues so still unsure what the benefits are other than one management portal.
    I've already experienced one issue where the custom domain was being flagged by malware/anti-virus providers but the default domain wasn't. I just want to have everything under one roof in case of further/similar/other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I saw your Outlook email on your website this morning and was going to pop you a message to jump over to Google apps for business but thought it a bit interfering.

Having your business email in Gmail has a lot of advantages, not just the associated storage and calender stuff.

£4.14pm for the cheapest option. Would definitely suggest looking into it.

https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_uk/pricing.html
    Thank you, and will have a look/compare to the MS offer.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Years ago I did somehow import my own .com domain into Outlook, so that I can send and receive mails using the MS webmail client. I'm pretty sure it was free but it was 7 or 8 years ago. All I pay for is the domain name, I don't pay MS for anything.

Googled this just now:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...o365-worldwide
    I think that's for business/enterprise plans, but thanks.

Master
    I've already experienced one issue where the custom domain was being flagged by malware/anti-virus providers but the default domain wasn't. I just want to have everything under one roof in case of further/similar/other issues.
    Just for clarity are you talking about www.tonys-pics.com as a custom domain/url vs a default provided squarespace url?

Or a sub domain such as ‘darkpics.Tony’s-pics.com’ ?

If the former we had something similar where corporate firewalls were doing the same to our url I can try and recall the process to fix if so.

Just for clarity are you talking about www.tonys-pics.com as a custom domain/url vs a default provided squarespace url?

Or a sub domain such as ‘darkpics.Tony’s-pics.com’ ?

If the former we had something similar where corporate firewalls were doing the same to our url I can try and recall the process to fix if so.
    Yes, the default Squarespace domain is blah blah dot squarespace dot com and the custom domain is blah blah dot com.

I've resolved it now, thanks. but had to get six AV vendors to re-evaluate/reclassify the site.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th March 2021 at 14:58.

Okay, just coming back to this one having accepted that a free solution won't work optimally for me. So...

I currently have an Exchange email account for my normal business email - it costs me a few pounds per month and, until recently, the same company hosted both my domain and my website. A few weeks ago, though, they stopped hosting websites and I therefore found an alternative host (although the domain stayed where it was).

Given that they provide my current business (Exchange) email without website hosting, I'm assuming I could go to them and ask them to provide me with an Exchange email solution for my tonyangelimages domain as well, or am I missing something?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2021 at 10:12.

You could but I still think you'd still be better off just going with Google's business email. No reason for the two to be combined with the hosting company.

You won't get better uptime than Google.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You could but I still think you'd still be better off just going with Google's business email. No reason for the two to be combined with the hosting company.

You won't get better uptime than Google.
    That's my preferred option, but it seems that email provided by Google Workspace (formerly G Suite - it's the only service that Squarespace supports/integrates with) doesn't work in Outlook for Mac!

Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2021 at 10:38.

Master
    Is there a reason why you can't just purchase another Exchange inbox directly from Microsoft & set it up in your current Outlook sidebar (assuming you're using the full O365 version of Outlook). You can configure it to use your domain & just let MS handle the storage & processing of emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Is there a reason why you can't just purchase another Exchange inbox directly from Microsoft & set it up in your current Outlook sidebar (assuming you're using the full O365 version of Outlook). You can configure it to use your domain & just let MS handle the storage & processing of emails.
    I don't know, if I'm honest. I always thought someone had to set up the hosting service before I could create an account in MS Outlook.

Master
    I don't know, if I'm honest. I always thought someone had to set up the hosting service before I could create an account in MS Outlook.
    It’s as simple as this, https://support.squarespace.com/hc/e...respace-Domain

Thanks - just off to get the bike MOT'd but will have a look later.