closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polishing plexi on vintage watches.

Journeyman

Polishing plexi on vintage watches.

I collect vintage watches and found myself wanting to lean up the scruffs on some of the crystals. But didnt have polywatch on hand or anywhere i could buy them quickly. Ordered one but it will take weeks or months to arrive in tge pandemic postal mess.

Googled and someone on the Internet claimed that autosol works just as well and is much cheaper too. So i used it and forgot about polywatch. The autosol worked pretty well but there were always some swirls remaining which i thought i would have live with on vintage watches.

Then the polywatch arrived. It works much better than autosol and the crystals are now 'crystal clear'.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes it does work really well doesn’t it, and as you only need a tiny amount, a tube will last a long long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scratched a Vostok and thought I might as well give it a try, it worked really well.

Grand Master
    You need to take a cut off the surface deep enough to remove the scratches. Wet and dry paper used wet around a small hard flat rubber block is the way to do it, 3000grit followed by 5000 and 7000, finally finishing with metal polish on a cloth is the way to do it. Polywatch is good for the final finish but its useless for taking anything deep out. Using wet and dry paper will make it look worse before better but it's the way to do it.

Be sure to mask off the case around the crystal.

Journeyman
    I have blisters on my fingers from sanding plexi all day today. Then i saw the suggestion to wrap the sandpaper around a rubber block.

Where can i buy the said rubber block? Do you have a picture?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthCalvinus View Post
    I have blisters on my fingers from sanding plexi all day today. Then i saw the suggestion to wrap the sandpaper around a rubber block.

Where can i buy the said rubber block? Do you have a picture?

Use a pencil eraser as a rubber block - cut it down to whatever size suits you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Use a pencil eraser as a rubber block - cut it down to whatever size suits you.
    Yes, that works. I use a piece of car exhaust mounting strap, the rubber is hard enough with a little ‘ give’ and the faces are truly flat. A small piece approx 1” x 0.5” works nicely.

Don't put too much pressure on the plexiglass for too long as they can heat up and crack. I speak from experience, RIP PRS-5 plexi :(

Grand Master
    Never use a dremel on an acrylic crystal, localised heath will damage the surface. A polishing wheel can be used very carefully after using wet and dry paper, but it needs great care to avoid overheating the plastic.

Journeyman
    Im looking for a way to sand the inside of a dome crystal. Some old watches i bought had scratches that i could never get off... Eventually i realise tye scratches may be on the inside... When i tried to sand it with fine grit sandpaper using my finger it was difficult to control the pressure and i made it worse. Polywatch did restore some clarity but the damage caused by sanding is evident...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthCalvinus View Post
    Im looking for a way to sand the inside of a dome crystal. Some old watches i bought had scratches that i could never get off... Eventually i realise tye scratches may be on the inside... When i tried to sand it with fine grit sandpaper using my finger it was difficult to control the pressure and i made it worse. Polywatch did restore some clarity but the damage caused by sanding is evident...

Get some 5000 grit and 7000 grit wet and dry, use that to remove the marks, then progress onto metal polish and finally finish with polywatch. It maybe possible to remove them using metal polish alone, depends how deep they are. Always work in the direction of a scratch, that removes damage faster.