closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A “washing up” question.

Master

A “washing up” question.

For those poor sods like me who haven’t got or seldom use a dishwasher: when the chore’s done I swish around the bowl for loose bits, feel nowt and empty the bowl down the sink to find a spoon or similar in the sink. Often - I mean probably half the time. My theory is water eddy’s are created that move small objects away from the source - but I could be full of b***.
    Theories welcome, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    For those poor sods like me who haven’t got or seldom use a dishwasher: when the chore’s done I swish around the bowl for loose bits, feel nowt and empty the bowl down the sink to find a spoon or similar in the sink. Often - I mean probably half the time. My theory is water eddy’s are created that move small objects away from the source - but I could be full of b***.
    It's governed by the same science that makes you always find one sock in the bottom of the washing basket when you've just put the washing machine on.

For those poor sods like me
    I think you got it right there. There's a law for that

Craftsman
    It’s you!

[opens can of worms...]

What you should do, is put the washing up liquid on the sponge and leave the water clear. Better for rinsing and no hidden spoons. The bastards can’t hide from me!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Never use a bowl.

poor technique.

go in an S shape from top to bottom, sweeping left to right all the way down and nothing will escape lol.

Journeyman
    Does anybody else hate it when their partner puts every single sodding pot into the bowl?

You need space to swish things about a bit and maneuver the scouring sponge around what ever you're washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S View Post
    Does anybody else hate it when their partner puts every single sodding pot into the bowl?

You need space to swish things about a bit and maneuver the scouring sponge around what ever you're washing.
    Yep! What’s that all about??annoying

Master
    I buy my wife one pair of Marigold gloves each month, so that she can wash up without burning her hands in the hot water.

What's the idea behind using a bowl? Seems pointless to me. I just use the sink. Is it some ancient housewifery lore?

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    It’s you!

[opens can of worms...]

What you should do, is put the washing up liquid on the sponge and leave the water clear. Better for rinsing and no hidden spoons. The bastards can’t hide from me!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    My wife has one of those sponge on a handle things that holds washing up liquid in the handle.

She still ours half a bottle in the bowl though; she then used a days worth of water just to get rid of the suds!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I buy my wife one pair of Marigold gloves each month, so that she can wash up without burning her hands in the hot water.
    Huge sink. If I didn’t use a bowl I’d either have about a centimetre of water to wash up in or I’d use half a baths worth of hot water.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    What's the idea behind using a bowl? Seems pointless to me. I just use the sink. Is it some ancient housewifery lore?
    Stainless steel sink which isn’t kind to ceramics and clumsy hands.

Yes, this every time. Plus when they do wash up getting an item from the draining board afterwards is like playing jack straws, risking an avalanche of crazily and precariously placed crockery and cutlery.

Kinder than ceramic on ceramic or is there one item in there at a time?

Grand Master
    Surprised no-ones developed an ultrasonic sink, that would be useful.

Stainless steel sink also not the kindest to watch cases/bezels as I’ve discovered after forgetting to take mine off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see I'm not the only person that washes dishes by hand. We've got a dishwasher but only being two of us, it would take two or three days to fill. Don't like the idea that I'm basically using the machine as a dirty plate/cutlery storage cupboard so I end up hand washing everything.

Paper plates and eat with your fingers. Job done

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I am having a nightmare and TZ-UK has become Mumsnet.

Washing up! what next? changing nappies? The best broom technique to reach under the wardrobe or the bed?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Good to see I'm not the only person that washes dishes by hand. We've got a dishwasher but only being two of us, it would take two or three days to fill. Don't like the idea that I'm basically using the machine as a dirty plate/cutlery storage cupboard so I end up hand washing everything.
    For me the hardest part of washing up is sorting out the dishes, scraping clean etc before you actually start. Still have to do this before putting in the dishwasher. And yes, like you, I think it would just become a days long storage facility for dirty plates and things.

OP.
    Buy some swimming goggles and get your face in there. That way you will be below the layer of bubbles on the surface. Job done.

The grief I get for apparently not 'correctly' loading the dish washer, sheesh

Master

Smile

Years back the answer would be - no idea, the Mrs does that chore. How times change.

Blog Entries
    I am the dishwasher elf in our house. The reason is that SWMBO stacks a dishwasher like a giraffe on roller skates would stack a pyramid of crystal whisky glasses! After much growling from me on the subject, she now keeps away from it.

Perhaps that was her cunning plan all along!

When you've finished just squeeze the f***ing sponge out! And perhaps put it back in it's spot. Is it really so difficult?

Master
    Washing dishes by hand is primitive and unhygienic. A dishwasher damn near sterilises everything whereas slopping about in a washing up bowl is just plain yuk.

Everyone buys a washing machine without blinking an eyelid but buying a dishwasher for some daft reason is regarded as a luxury which is plain weird.

Yeah the single biggest advance in reducing mortality rates was the invention of the dishwasher, before that people were dropping dead all the time after eating off hand-washed crockery.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yeah the single biggest advance in reducing mortality rates was the invention of the dishwasher, before that people were dropping dead all the time after eating off hand-washed crockery.
    I smoked for 20 years and gave up 15 years ago, if I'd known the washing up was more likely to kill me I wouldn't have bothered!

Many many years ago on a food safety course, the trainer said to fill up the kettle and switch on before you start washing up. Then slowly pour boiling water over the stacked dishes etc and leave enough water in the kettle for a cup of coffee/tea.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You need to get a life it that’s all you have to start a thread. Get the Mrs to load the dishwasher and put your feet up, if you have not got a dishwasher then tell the Mrs to wash up, and put your feet up.

Blog Entries

Or piles everything into the sink and fills with water that turns cold and greasy - then you have to fish around everything before the washing up starts - uuuuuggghhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Or piles everything into the sink and fills with water that turns cold and greasy - then you have to fish around everything before the washing up starts - uuuuuggghhhh.

Or washes the dirtiest pots and plates before the glasses? Madness!

Anyway, this thread is pertinent for me tonight as the dishwasher appears to have broken

Anybody still dry dishes nowadays? We’ve a dishwasher but used to be part of my parents after dinner ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Anybody still dry dishes nowadays? We’ve a dishwasher but used to be part of my parents after dinner ritual.
    Not as a rule no, I'd rather let evaporation and gravity do the work for me. But if theres loads of pots and pans etc like after Sunday lunch which are too much for the draining rack, I'll dry a few and put them away as I go.
    It was part of my parents ritual also "you wash, I'll wipe". Oo-eerr missus.

A “washing up” question.

Does the man always wipe (dry)?

Does the man always wipe (dry)?
    Depends if the curtains are in easy reach...

Master
    I've told Mrs 'wheelie, that unless she lets me by a Rolex DSSD, Cameron version, I 'aint doin' the dishes. Never-ever.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

This
    Plus all knives forks spoons on the right hand side only no other pots in the sink. Then start, never find any odd item.
    However when on the rare occasion the Mrs washes up. Always a spoon or three in the empty sink. Tuts loudly ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My wife has habit of washing the dishes and just leaving the sink full of dirty water when she’s finished. What’s worse, when I let the water out there is always a load of cutlery left at the bottom.

When I do it, I do a proper job (please don’t tell her I said this)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    My wife has habit of washing the dishes and just leaving the sink full of dirty water when she’s finished. What’s worse, when I let the water out there is always a load of cutlery left at the bottom.

When I do it, I do a proper job (please don’t tell her I said this)

Glad its not just my wife that does this.

Master
    She shops, cooks, we eat and then I wash up, dishes are left to air dry, she got tired of me putting the dish drying cloth in the wash after using. I also dust and hoover on a Monday when she visits her dad to do his housework, I'm not asked to do much so I don't moan, it's a partnership but she does do the lions share.

We use a bowl in the summer months.

We collect the water that runs before it gets hot enough to wash up in and use it to water the plants in the garden.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    You can run a hot tap down side of the bowl directly into sink for rinsing dishes once washed, then air dry on drainer. Used to work in a professional kitchen and am trained to advanced level in food safety,your average dishtowel can be a biohazard.

Round or square bowls?

Master
    Round or square bowls?
    Shape of sink dependent?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Shape of sink dependent?
    Never seen a round sink TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Why do they do this? Mine does it so often, her excuse is that she means to come back to it but didn't have the time, that doesn't wash with me.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I lived with someone who would routinely load the sink for washing up with wine glasses and razor sharp knives at the bottom and a Le Creuset cast iron pot as the crowning glory... 🙄