closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop: Saab 96 and Spitfire 1500 pics

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop: Saab 96 and Spitfire 1500 pics

Just a handful of pictures taken around noon. On the ramps the blue Saab 96 and the red Spitfire - just returned from the paint shop.

The Spit was red and stays red. Like so many projects in the past, we see that the owner is dragged into the whole rebuild and what started as a simple respray is now a full-fletch restoration! The suspension is off to the powder coater, all bushes are being renewed etc. Luckily, the engine and gearbox are in great shape (done a few years ago) and the interior is in good shape. Apart from the (real wood!) dash.

Today's job was installing new brake pipes from the rear to the front of the car.

The Saab is nearly ready for the blaster. The owner came to the workshop and did a whole lot of work scraping off the underseal. Today's job was removing all the stuff from the nooks and crannies. It's only a matter of a few days before the car is off to the blaster.

Oh and remember the little Fiat 500? The work on that car is an on-off situation. But now, big steps are taken! That car is at the paint shop. It came in the shop as a (mostly...) red car, but latest news is that it will be painted in a 60s Fiat blue colour!

Last edited by thieuster; 4th March 2021 at 20:00.

Blog Entries

In a PM conversation yesterday evening, I mentioned that these two models are part of my classic car history. I bought my first Saab 96 in 1981. A '76 cinnamon red Saab and I bought my pageant blue '78 Spitfire in '95. The colours of the cars I owned were reverse from the cars shown in the pics.

Besides that, it's most uncommon to have two cars stripped at the same time. No worries about mixing up parts: the Spit is 'on it's way back', being assembled. The Saab's parts are on the shelf to be overhauled. Different process, different shelves.

Nice workshop setup. Is it a business
    Or a fantastic hobby.?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does the Spitfire chassis rely on the body panels for structural stiffness, or is it just what we can see in these pics?
    That looks incredibly 'twisty' at the front end!

(Apologies for the completely incorrect use of motoring terminology above!).

Blog Entries
    The Spit chassis is over-engineered in relation to its purpose. Imagine the car in the same position with the suspension mounted & hanging down + weight of the engine when installed. That should give reason for concern, but IRL it isn't a problem. It's tough as nails.