closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 74 of 74

Thread: Persimmon Homes Grumble

  1. #51
    I bought a New Charles Church house in 2009, these being the Posh end of Persimmon. ( supposedly ) £4 fixtures as opposed to £2.50 ones I expect..

    It was in Malmesbury, and I could see their head office from my front windows.

    Without going into huge detail about the problems, what I will sayis, I used to drive over, park my car in the Directors space, and sit in reception with my then 18mth old son and wait until somebody would come and speak to me

    I was there so often the receptionists used to have my beverage made before I had even entered the foyer....


    We di at least manage to sell it for a profit...so not all bad, and the new owner benefitted from some major defects having been rectified due to my tenaciousness.

  2. #52
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    2,474
    I think all major builders are struggling to get craftsmen, they basically died out when we had the crash & slump in the late 80’s. I have a degree in Building & Construction (1979) worked on the Barbican Arts Centre 1980.
    We have a Persimmon home. Luckily ours is rendered. The brickwork on site has been done by YTS bricklayers. The joinery is not upto my standard. But we’ve not had any major problems other than normal snagging. There are horror stories everywhere and about all builders. Safe to say I have a decent 4bed detached. Been in it since January 2018.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #53
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    588
    Perhaps the business went downhill after Charles Church slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God?


  4. #54
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,820
    I think it comes down to the local site manager - I bought my house in 2014 and it's been absolutely fine - they forgot to put in a shaving point I paid for but otherwise has been fine. Nice area and the last two houses that were for sale both went in a day so clearly in demand.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    I bought a New Charles Church house in 2009, these being the Posh end of Persimmon. ( supposedly ) £4 fixtures as opposed to £2.50 ones I expect..

    It was in Malmesbury, and I could see their head office from my front windows.

    Without going into huge detail about the problems, what I will sayis, I used to drive over, park my car in the Directors space, and sit in reception with my then 18mth old son and wait until somebody would come and speak to me

    I was there so often the receptionists used to have my beverage made before I had even entered the foyer....


    We di at least manage to sell it for a profit...so not all bad, and the new owner benefitted from some major defects having been rectified due to my tenaciousness.
    Probably the same twat director I knew if it was Malmesbury.

  6. #56
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    113
    I’ve recently bought a Redrow new build and, yes there have been snags but I’ve been impressed with the quality and speed of the fixes. I think the Site Manager is key to the quality of the build and we built up a good relationship with ours while the house was being built which I think helped when getting the snags resolved.

  7. #57
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,587
    The problem I’d imagine, is that good site managers aren’t sought after by these builders and don’t get to stay long. They prioritise speed over quality. And as others have said, they always seem to sell so until that stops quality is unlikely to increase.

  8. #58
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    14,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    The problem I’d imagine, is that good site managers aren’t sought after by these builders and don’t get to stay long. They prioritise speed over quality. And as others have said, they always seem to sell so until that stops quality is unlikely to increase.
    You are probably right, I expect they are measured on how little they spend on remedial work rather than customer satisfaction.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  9. #59
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    The problem I’d imagine, is that good site managers aren’t sought after by these builders and don’t get to stay long. They prioritise speed over quality. And as others have said, they always seem to sell so until that stops quality is unlikely to increase.
    The first time a Site Manager goes over-budget, he will be history I reckon.

    I guess his own livelihood is on the line every project.

  10. #60
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,734
    Blog Entries
    1
    House builders 'should drop appalling gagging orders' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56376112

  11. #61
    Apart from the houses themselves, modern developments seem to be so packed together that everyone overlooks each other in the bath, the toilet, 3 neighbours watch you hanging out your washing in your pristine but postage stamp sized garden etc!. Our house was built by the original owner in 2000 (well, by the builder he employed) and we’ve had no issues in the 6 years we’ve been here at all. Decent large sized rooms, big plot, proper double garage etc. Out of curiosity we had it valued a couple of years ago, as we’d noticed brand new 4 bed houses on a local development, complete with garages you could barely fit a mower in and tiny gardens, on sale for considerably more than we’d paid for our 6 bed house (with a garden you could fit 3 of these plots on comfortably) - I was told ‘buyers pay a premium for a new house as you get all the kitchen equipment and fittings brand new’ - I pointed out the stupidity of this comment to the estate agent who out of nowhere added an extra £75k to our valuation! Quite clearly from this thread, newer most definitely isn’t better!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Apart from the houses themselves, modern developments seem to be so packed together that everyone overlooks each other in the bath, the toilet, 3 neighbours watch you hanging out your washing in your pristine but postage stamp sized garden etc!. Our house was built by the original owner in 2000 (well, by the builder he employed) and we’ve had no issues in the 6 years we’ve been here at all. Decent large sized rooms, big plot, proper double garage etc. Out of curiosity we had it valued a couple of years ago, as we’d noticed brand new 4 bed houses on a local development, complete with garages you could barely fit a mower in and tiny gardens, on sale for considerably more than we’d paid for our 6 bed house (with a garden you could fit 3 of these plots on comfortably) - I was told ‘buyers pay a premium for a new house as you get all the kitchen equipment and fittings brand new’ - I pointed out the stupidity of this comment to the estate agent who out of nowhere added an extra £75k to our valuation! Quite clearly from this thread, newer most definitely isn’t better!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nevertheless - there is a new-house premium.

  13. #63
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,734
    Blog Entries
    1

    Persimmon Homes Grumble

    We nearly bought a newish build by a small developer. I wasn’t sold on the area but from what I could see it was properly build and step up from our Baratt home. I’m moving next week hopefully, but this has been pretty good ( 06 build) with nothing major bar a new boiler done last year.
    Last edited by Middo; 15th March 2021 at 08:42.

  14. #64
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    I’ve recently bought a Redrow new build and, yes there have been snags but I’ve been impressed with the quality and speed of the fixes. I think the Site Manager is key to the quality of the build and we built up a good relationship with ours while the house was being built which I think helped when getting the snags resolved.
    This has pretty much been our experience but with Miller Homes (Derby based I believe). We picked our plot on the day they were released so we aren’t overlooked and there are only 26 houses on the development. The garden is small but enough for use.
    Struck a relationship with the sales and site staff as we were already living locally so watch it being built quite closely and we were one of first to move in. Apart from minor snagging issues we’ve had no problems at all. We’ve been in three years in May.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Nevertheless - there is a new-house premium.
    I’m sure there is for those who just want to walk in and everything is ‘brand new’ but it seems something made properly 100 years ago is a better bet than something thrown together in the last 6 months!
    I do find property valuations an odd thing generally. You can see 2 houses very similar, one needs a new roof, lots of work, the garden is a mess, it needs rewiring, new windows etc, the other is well maintained amd they are on for the same price. It’s a bit like saying ‘this new 3 series bmw has done 200,000 miles, there’s rust on all the panels, the passenger seat is missing and it won’t start. It’s £30k. Or you can have this new one for £30k. Price vs what you get seems nonsensical!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #66
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I think all major builders are struggling to get craftsmen, they basically died out when we had the crash & slump in the late 80’s. I have a degree in Building & Construction (1979) worked on the Barbican Arts Centre 1980.
    We have a Persimmon home. Luckily ours is rendered. The brickwork on site has been done by YTS bricklayers. The joinery is not upto my standard. But we’ve not had any major problems other than normal snagging. There are horror stories everywhere and about all builders. Safe to say I have a decent 4bed detached. Been in it since January 2018.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agree on the lack of good tradesmen and see it often. The best tradesman are in the building game themselves or work for smaller firms doing top end developments. Big sites tend to just have agency workers these days blagging it until they are booted off and on to the next one. Nothing more boring than house bashing where speed is key.

  17. #67
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,047
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Nevertheless - there is a new-house premium.
    True.....but there shouldn’t be!

    Most new developments aren’t very appealing, houses all crammed together, crap garages too small for a modern car, limited parking space, small rooms, dubious build quality.........where’s the upside?

    Interesting comments about skilled tradesmen, the guys who have worked on my bungalow extension/ renovation all seem excellent, but that’s a small local firm that specialises in extensions and renovation. Can’t praise these guys enough, not the cheapest but everyone we’ve dealt with has been excellent and its obvious they don’t employ numpties or lazy sods.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th March 2021 at 21:23.

  18. #68
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    584
    Lots of properties nowadays you'd be lucky to get a fag paper in between them, I'm amazed that the planners think this is acceptable and how on earth you would carry out gable end maintenance work baffles me :)

  19. #69
    Master mickylall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnley,Lancs
    Posts
    2,769
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Agree on the lack of good tradesmen and see it often. The best tradesman are in the building game themselves or work for smaller firms doing top end developments. Big sites tend to just have agency workers these days blagging it until they are booted off and on to the next one. Nothing more boring than house bashing where speed is key.
    That is spot on, you can spot the chancers as soon as they step on site. The smaller developers put a lot more effort into providing a better product, large sites now really are only about maximising profits

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    True.....but there shouldn’t be! .
    I disagree to some extent, no doubt many older houses are better built but new houses are more efficient to heat and mostly built using a spirit level. Also on a new estate all the infrastructure is new, roads and footpaths are new, as are all neighbouring houses.

    I grew up on a nice street and in a decent house on a great plot, my parents are still there but the street has been dug up countless times, the road is littered with pot holes, every other house has had an extension of some kind, some homes not as well kept as others. Some hedges and trees massively over grown and various other things out of control of my parents which affect the value and curb appeal of their home.

    At least with a new estate, for at least the next decade the estate looks at intended and the homes shouldn’t cause any major headaches.

  21. #71
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    True.....but there shouldn’t be!

    Most new developments aren’t very appealing, houses all crammed together, crap garages too small for a modern car, limited parking space, small rooms, dubious build quality.........where’s the upside?

    Interesting comments about skilled tradesmen, the guys who have worked on my bungalow extension/ renovation all seem excellent, but that’s a small local firm that specialises in extensions and renovation. Can’t praise these guys enough, not the cheapest but everyone we’ve dealt with has been excellent and its obvious they don’t employ numpties or lazy sods.
    There is a premium because people are prepared to pay it.

    In some cases it can be an easy way to get rid of your previous house (part-ex with the developer). This is especially prevalent if the area you are moving from has a stagnant market.

    I think quite often the female partner in the couple is the significant driving force to get a brand new house, so that as much of it can be ‘their input’.

    The premium becomes evident if you have to sell that house within (say) 2 yrs- when you can find out that the resale value has either not risen, or has actually dropped. That is what hits home that it is not the fact that the house is built to latest style and construction methods- just that it is no longer ‘brand spanking’ and without ‘incentive’.

  22. #72
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    13,305
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The premium becomes evident if you have to sell that house within (say) 2 yrs- when you can find out that the resale value has either not risen, or has actually dropped. That is what hits home that it is not the fact that the house is built to latest style and construction methods- just that it is no longer ‘brand spanking’ and without ‘incentive’.
    Whilst I’ve never bought a new house, I’ve never noticed lower asking prices for second hand houses on new estates. Once the estate is finished, the premium price seems to become the base line price for properties on and in the vicinity of the new estate.

    That’s been my experience anyway and although we’ve been where we are now since 2008, my wife always has itchy feet so is constantly looking at other properties.

  23. #73
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst I’ve never bought a new house, I’ve never noticed lower asking prices for second hand houses on new estates. Once the estate is finished, the premium price seems to become the base line price for properties on and in the vicinity of the new estate.

    That’s been my experience anyway and although we’ve been where we are now since 2008, my wife always has itchy feet so is constantly looking at other properties.
    I don't think you will see a drop in 'asking' price - but I do think you can see a reduction in 'achieved' price.

    Everyone seems to think their house is worth what it was - at the peak of the market, even when they have slumped

  24. #74
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,326
    Not sure I would necessarily agree with some of the 'build quality' statements, but this gives an overview:

    https://www.whathouse.com/mortgages-...ew-build-home/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information