closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch batteries - any interest in a swap shop?

Watch batteries - any interest in a swap shop?

I have a number of quartz watches (nothing wrong with that) but there has been a minor epidemic of battery failures recently and considering that all our local jewellers are shut and Timpsons, well! So I've been having a go at replacing some myself. So far I have managed to avoid scratching any case backs (I'm better than Timpsons already!), only using a case back tool for the minimum loosening, then a Bergeon 8-ball. The problem is the batteries. As often as not, I either buy single batteries for about 85p with £3.95 p&p from Cousins, or often they only come in packs of 10. Since all my watches seem to need different batteries, even the Swatches (who would have thought?), I am ending up with packs of nine which will eventually expire unused.

Is there any mileage in a buy/sell/exchange thread or sticky in SC or WTB. I post up what I need and what I've got, and we do each other a favour. I have been struck how often on TZ people have been happy to pop a couple of springbars in the post after a chat - a kind soul sent me some shoulderless bars for my sub once.

Would we need to ask the boss to make it sticky?

Grand Master
    I get asked to replace batteries, but I don’t do enough to make it worth buying a stock, they come in packs of 10 but there are too many variants to make it viable, batteries have a shelf life and that’s a problem. Until recently I had an arrangement with my friendly local jeweller who sells me them singly at a fair price, but he’s not open so I now buy off ebay. That’s the easiest way in my view.

Blog Entries
    The postage now costs more than the batteries! I’ve found it costs less to order a pack of 8 with free postage than the postage itself. Type: 321 (from memory). I only need one every 3y - and the pack received has expiry date 2023 - happy to post out if someone wants one.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd March 2021 at 19:21.

Master
    I've got just about every shape and size available. If anyone wants any just ask.

I've sent a few in the past. Only one hasn't arrived (I think it was a 2320 - omega x33?) I don't mark them as hazardous goods, it's a lithium button cell for goodness sake.

Ebay is good but look out for the fake top makes, I tend to buy strips of 5, they do last for years so its no big deal..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Ebay is good but look out for the fake top makes, I tend to buy strips of 5, they do last for years so its no big deal..
    How do you tell? They put up a picture of the genuine article, then post you something different. Do you have any trusted sellers you could pass on?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I've got just about every shape and size available. If anyone wants any just ask.

I've sent a few in the past. Only one hasn't arrived (I think it was a 2320 - omega x33?) I don't mark them as hazardous goods, it's a lithium button cell for goodness sake.
    It's a generous offer & I may well take you up on it

i think it’s a good idea.
    I have a few, ok loads, mainly 371, 379 I think. - for CWCs
    If people were to post what they want on here and if someone has one and they are happy to drop it in the post they can make contact.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I went into the box for a Renata 344 this morning as my Beta21 Omega has died since I last wore it, batteries only last about a year in these.

As expected I didn’t have one but thought I would check the ones I do have, all these are way past there date. Some of them as much as 8 years. Shocking.

I used to do everyone’s batteries at work and down the pub so used to go through enough to keep plenty in stock. As I don’t go to the pub or work anymore they are not getting used.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Now up and running on SC, with Eddie's blessing