closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TUDOR Black Bay GMT - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's not a written rule. There is no set number of PPD. It's all about patterns. Taking part in multiple threads in WT and replying to every other post may be fine one day. If it happens regularly it becomes a pattern.
    The proof of the pudding usually lies in the evolution of the PPD count once the magic 250 has been reached. It is not unusual that most posts after this date are either in SC or H&V...
    Yes, for sure.
    I guess we’ll have to see what’s Wandril really up to ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Is the warranty date issue fix permanent?

I’d be concerned if not.
    All points to yes in terms of people’s conversations with Tudor reps and someone speaking with a service centre directly. I have had mine back since June last year and the issue has not reoccurred. Also, instances of it on the FB group have almost disappeared entirely.

Over lubrication was originally sited as the issue but later conversations seem to suggest a change to some movement components. Maybe the design was causing over lubrication... only Tudor will ever really know!
    Last edited by Stuno1; 4th March 2021 at 10:52.

Had mine for a couple of years now, on the bracelet as it was purchased and I haven't worn it on anything other than the bracelet. It is bigger and heavier than my 5513, but it is a very good quality piece of kit and I find it very comfortable to wear. I love the retro/ vintage vibe of the overall design.

I have never had the date issues and I am fortunate that I can get a perfect fit on my wrist.

I think it is terrific value.

My BB GMT pre-dated the increased length of the warranty (by a month), and when I came to sell it, I asked my AD what the official position in regard to the date issue was, as I wanted to sell with the re-assurance that if it did suffer, the new owner would be looked after.
    I got a very reassuring reply, saying that Tudor had effectively "owned" the issue, and all watches in which it became apparent were being fixed under warranty, regardless of whether it was in date or not.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Last bracket on the matter so after that the thread can go back to the tudor bb gmt only:

If I have time to spend on tz UK, that's my problem

If you go in the details of my messages yesterday, you will see that I'm not just posting "one liners", and I don't see how any of my comment is not as relevant as anyone else.
    As said before, if I was doing the same thing with a 500 posts count, no one would bat an eye. Many members are posting posts such as "very interesting", or a joke, and no one seems bothered, so why would it be different for a newcomer on the forum?

If someone who has the power to put the posts count of someone back to zero, then so be it, I don't see how it would change anything.

I don't see my time here so far in any other way than just trying to be implicated in a forum that I've been reading for months but only started to post recently as I thought I would enjoy the interaction.

It's even more relevant I think in a situation of lockdown, with no possibility to interact with anyone apart from phone/internet.

The sales corner is part of collecting and exchanging watches between members, as we see our interest and tastes changing, why would anyone here not want to have an access to it?

I would understand the defensive reactions if I was acting like a disrespectful all the time through my posts, and if I was litteraly posting things like "ok", but I don't think I belong in this category.
    As said, if someone feels like I do anyway, and has the power, and more importantly, nothing else to do, then please go ahead and ban me/put my my post count to zero etc...

I'm done with the justification, back to the tudor!
    If indeed you are new you will soon discover the vast majority of us here wish to discuss watches and enjoy the forum. There are about a dozen or so here (easily discoverable by their massive post count). Who are best just ignored.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My BB GMT pre-dated the increased length of the warranty (by a month), and when I came to sell it, I asked my AD what the official position in regard to the date issue was, as I wanted to sell with the re-assurance that if it did suffer, the new owner would be looked after.
    I got a very reassuring reply, saying that Tudor had effectively "owned" the issue, and all watches in which it became apparent were being fixed under warranty, regardless of whether it was in date or not.
    D
    That's reassuring. Mine was the first sold by that AD. No issue yet.

I was presuming/hoping that at it's first service they might undertake whatever remedial work is required to correct the issue...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

D
    I have heard this before from Tudor they seem to have handled the situation very well.

Craftsman
    I've had mine for over a year and concur with all the positive comments. It is a biggish and heavyish watch but I think that can be overstated. It wears roughly similar to a SKX007 on solid oyster, although has a slightly longer lug to lug, so it's not exactly crazy big. As others have said the design and build quality is great. I need the GMT function and it's great value for a proper GMT watch from a decent maker.

Mine had the date issue after almost a year. I'm in Asia and the local Rolex service centre told me they will replace the movement. It's on order and they'll call me when it arrives so I can drop the watch for the replacement. They told me it will get a fresh 5 year warranty at that point. Not ideal to have the problem but that feels like a very thorough fix.

Craftsman
    I have bought and sold three.
    They are a great price point in my opinion and a great watch.

My reason for moving them on is I just wasn’t completely happy with the dial.

Just felt the proportions (for me) were just wrong.

So I would wear one but after a couple weeks the dial just irked me.

Great watch though and will probably go through the whole process again with one.

Its a watch I wanted as soon as it was announced, went on the list that day.
    When I went to pick it up it didn't do it for me, so left at the AD. About a year later I thought I would try one, again went to shop tried it on and nope didn't like it, so left that one like an annoying tire kicker. Every time I see a picture I think, mmmm nice, would like one but in the flesh they just don't do it for me. I think its the blue used in the bezel (its a bit dull) and the end of GMT hand, are the things that put me off. Its hard to think of another watch with a similar great spec for the price though.

I had the compete opposite experience with the PO1, this is a watch I want to buy after seeing one in the metal, I hated the pictures of it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th March 2021 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I had the compete opposite experience with the PO1, this is a watch I want to buy after seeing one in the metal, I hated the pictures of it.
    Me too. I never bought one in the end but I remember thinking "what the hell are Tudor smoking" when I first saw it in pictures, but in the AD it looked really good!

I had a chance to try it on at watches of Switzerland in LGW and one thing that struck me was how the bracelet width contributed to the “heft”. Maybe it’s because I haven’t owned a watch with a lug width greater than 20mm since my skx007, but I definitely think it’s a factor.

I’ve been looking for a gmt for a while for work/travel pre COVID and now that I’ve moved to the US it’d be useful to make sure I’m not waking up family when I call, and the options for a true gmt with a rotating bezel are very limited for under 5k, so I always come back to the Tudor.

Someone pointed out that the number of people in this thread that bought one and has owned it for years is a good indicator on the quality of the watch, and I have to agree!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tic.tock.doc View Post
    I’ve been looking for a gmt for a while for work/travel pre COVID and now that I’ve moved to the US it’d be useful to make sure I’m not waking up family when I call, and the options for a true gmt with a rotating bezel are very limited for under 5k, so I always come back to the Tudor.
    Have a look at the Mido Ocean Star GMT as well. I have one, it is a true GMT and less than 1k, let alone 5k.

D

Have a look at the Mido Ocean Star GMT as well. I have one, it is a true GMT and less than 1k, let alone 5k.

D
    True I’d forgotten about the mido, was very excited when I saw it announced. It’s 44mm which is bigger than I’d like, plus if I remember correctly the bezel doesn’t have hour markers on it? I’m hoping that the movement isn’t too big to be fit into smaller watches, would be great to see what sinn could do with it...

How do you find it wears?

Master

D
    I’ve been thinking about one of these Dave, but I haven’t seen one in the flesh and I’m just a bit concerned about the size. Normally size isn’t an issue for me at all but I’ve been caught a couple of times with watches that sound like they should be ok, then turn out to be uncomfortably large e.g. Bulova Moonwatch.
    I think my concern is that there doesn’t seem to be any decent pics of the side profile, which would be helpful.
    This might all sound a bit daft as I have a couple of 44mm Panerai but just can’t wear the Bulova.

Had one, but I couldn't get a proper fit with the bracelet, even after doing the bracelet hack.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

For me, frankly, it's the best all-round watch I've ever owned. Initially purchased it on the leather, I added the metal bracelet onto it a year and a half ago, and it's rarely off my wrist now. It's been wonderfully accurate, and I've had no issues with regards to the date. I consider it to be truer to the original ethos of a GMT than the current generation Rolex GMT, and I could quite happily have it as a single watch collection.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Had one, but I couldn't get a proper fit with the bracelet, even after doing the bracelet hack.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
    I had this issue too. Needed another 2 options for micro adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

True I’d forgotten about the mido, was very excited when I saw it announced. It’s 44mm which is bigger than I’d like, plus if I remember correctly the bezel doesn’t have hour markers on it? I’m hoping that the movement isn’t too big to be fit into smaller watches, would be great to see what sinn could do with it...

How do you find it wears?

It wear very well (I have it on one of two Barton Elite silicone straps). It is almost exactly 50mm from lug tip to lug tip, which is relatively short for a large diameter watch, making it easy to wear (my wrist id 7 1/4").
    The bezel is 0-60. but it has 0-24 on the chapter ring (which the Tudor does not), so it tracks 2 timezones like the Tudor. I find the 0-60 bezel much more useful than a 0-24, as I can time things. The bezel is also 120 click, not 48 like the Tudor, which is much more sense.

Tom, I can lend you mine for a trial if you want, PM me if you are interested.
    (sorry tic.tock.doc, this doesn't extend to you, I am not sending it over the pond for a trial, I am sure you understand)
    Dave

I have one on a bracelet and absolutely love it, for me it’s the perfect weight and size and sits nicely under the cuff. I recently bought a 41 DJ and I don’t know why...I’ve barely worn it and go to the GMT most of the time. Mines about a year old and haven’t as yet had the date wheel issue

It wear very well (I have it on one of two Barton Elite silicone straps). It is almost exactly 50mm from lug tip to lug tip, which is relatively short for a large diameter watch, making it easy to wear (my wrist id 7 1/4").
    The bezel is 0-60. but it has 0-24 on the chapter ring (which the Tudor does not), so it tracks 2 timezones like the Tudor. I find the 0-60 bezel much more useful than a 0-24, as I can time things. The bezel is also 120 click, not 48 like the Tudor, which is much more sense.

Tom, I can lend you mine for a trial if you want, PM me if you are interested.
    (sorry tic.tock.doc, this doesn't extend to you, I am not sending it over the pond for a trial, I am sure you understand)
    Dave
    Of course, I wouldn't expect that :)

Getting a little off topic, but my ultimate GMT would probably be a true GMT HAQ with 24 hour bezel and 24 hour rehaut/chapter ring as well. Three timezones with no need to ever hack except for daylight savings

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Never been a fan of "pepsi" bezels for me personally but its a bloody good looking watch for sure.

Every time there's mention of a black bay, the term "slab sided" pops up... i so don't see this!

I have a 41mm BB (2019), black bezel / black leather and just see (and feel) a stunningly good looking watch with perfect proportions and just enough presence without being ott... those highly polished sides with bevelled edges are part and parcel of an iconic case and an iconic watch, part of their charm!

Of course, I wouldn't expect that :)

Getting a little off topic, but my ultimate GMT would probably be a true GMT HAQ with 24 hour bezel and 24 hour rehaut/chapter ring as well. Three timezones with no need to ever hack except for daylight savings

Missing a time zone, but the GS 9F GMT isn't far off.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Missing a time zone, but the GS 9F GMT isn't far off.
    I’ve thought about this one a lot! I had a chance to try my friend’s one on and it wears really well. If they released a white dial explorer style one I’d be all over it. It would be great if they used that 9f gmt movement in more watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, anyone on the fence for this model should jump right off now and grab that bargain on SC!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I never understand why they are such slow sellers. I like mine although I only wore it on Bracelet for a few months. It's been on a Rubber B for ages now and looks great. I would rather have it than the BB58 that just sold.
    Probably the fact pretty much everyone heard about the date issue and the fact it's fairly chunky.
    It looks beautiful though, can't deny that
    If I ever think of shifting it on, the look when on a Rubber B dissuades me:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I never understand why they are such slow sellers. I like mine although I only wore it on Bracelet for a few months. It's been on a Rubber B for ages now and looks great. I would rather have it than the BB58 that just sold.
    Not sure they are slow sellers, not that long ago there was a waiting list for them and they go pretty quick off SC.

Had mine a couple of years now, suburb fit and finish, in house true GMT and all for £3k brand new. Very good value when compared to the competition. What's not to like.

Personally I don't like it on straps, tried it on a couple but I think it looks best on bracelet.

Too thick, needs the bracelet from the MK1 Black Bay without the rivets. The GMT hand needs to be an arrow, also not sure why the seconds hand also needed to be a snowflake instead of a lollypop, but most annoying of all the GMT hand goes outside the track which isn't acceptable and just plain sloppy.

Could be fantastic and I wouldn't rule one out in future but as it stands not for me. I've turned one down twice.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Too thick, needs the bracelet from the MK1 Black Bay without the rivets. The GMT hand needs to be an arrow, also not sure why the seconds hand also needed to be a snowflake instead of a lollypop, but most annoying of all the GMT hand goes outside the track which isn't acceptable and just plain sloppy.

Could be fantastic and I wouldn't rule one out in future but as it stands not for me. I've turned one down twice.
    Seems all of your amends would be in line with a Rolex GMT. Personally I think the majority of the things you listed make the Tudor a bit different/unique, I wouldn't want them changed to make it seem more like a Rolex.

I don't believe they are waitlisted anymore by the way, although I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Seems all of your amends would be in line with a Rolex GMT. Personally I think the majority of the things you listed make the Tudor a bit different/unique, I wouldn't want them changed to make it seem more like a Rolex.

I don't believe they are waitlisted anymore by the way, although I could be wrong.
    Definitely not waitlisted anymore but they were back when I was offered.

I have a Rolex GMT and I do like it, but absolutely hate the polished centre links.

I wouldn't want Tudor to be more like a modern day Rolex but I would want them to be more similar to a 5 digit Rolex, which I think is the general idea anyway. A GMT hand with an arrow isn't unique to Rolex and back in the Tudor Submariner days the hour hand was a lollipop.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 38mm version yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'd been holding off for this, but I read somewhere that it's unlikely given the size of the movement...

Master
    Tudor subs had both snowflake, & lollipop hands. The lollipops came along near the end of production, I believe.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree the GMT should be an arrow, but the seconds were always a square on Snowflakes, so that is fine by me.
    Note that the only scale for the GMT is the bezel, which is why the hand goes right past the (irrelevant to that hand) minute scale. Not a mistake ar all.

I agree the GMT should be an arrow, but the seconds were always a square on Snowflakes, so that is fine by me.
    Note that the only scale for the GMT is the bezel, which is why the hand goes right past the (irrelevant to that hand) minute scale. Not a mistake ar all.
    Seconds hands have been both lollipops and snowflakes, so isn't a bit deal really but a snowflake hour hand, seconds hand and GMT hand is too much snowflake on one dial.

The GMT hand length is either a mistake or absolute sloppiness.

If this ever happens, I will be considerably poorer!

I’ve held off buying the current version, as my BB collection is already filling too much of my watch box. A 38mm version of the GMT would be impossible to resist.

I don't understand the criticism. It has been specifically designed that way because it's the bezel that this hand refers to, not the minute track. No way would Tudor do this sloppily by accident. To me, that looks like good design.
    Last edited by Christian; 8th March 2021 at 18:03.

Seconds hands have been both lollipops and snowflakes, so isn't a bit deal really but a snowflake hour hand, seconds hand and GMT hand is too much snowflake on one dial.

No issue either with the length of the gmt hands.
    Also worth noting that if this hand was any shorter, it would pretty much totally cover the hour indices whilst aligned with it, so most definitely not done by mistake/slopiness,...

Regarding the debate on the snowflake hands, even if Tudor is getting quite a bit of attention thanks to its affiliation with the big brother rolex, they obviously are pushing on differenciating themselves at the same time, and having "their" identity if there is such a thing. In that regard, I'm more than happy with a full snowflake handset.
    Rolex sport --> Mercedes hands
    Tudor sport --> snowflake hands

Makes sense to me, as I've never been buying a tudor because I wanted a rolex, but because I wanted a tudor with the snowflake hands.
    I'm happy for them to stick to a (relatively) specific identity the way they do
    Last edited by Wandril; 8th March 2021 at 18:23.

Master
    I don't understand the criticism. It has been specifically designed that way because it's the bezel that this hand refers to, not the minute track. No way would Tudor do this sloppily by accident. To me, that looks like good design.
    Exactly this. It extends past the minute track to make it clearer and easier to see what hour on the bezel it is pointing at.

I'd definitely break my '1 watched per brand' rule for a well executed BB58 GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Exactly this. It extends past the minute track to make it clearer and easier to see what hour on the bezel it is pointing at.
    It needs to be easier than this?

No issue either with the length of the gmt hands.
    Also worth noting that if this hand was any shorter, it would pretty much totally cover the hour indices whilst aligned with it, so most definitely not done by mistake/slopiness,...

Regarding the debate on the snowflake hands, even if Tudor is getting quite a bit of attention thanks to its affiliation with the big brother rolex, they obviously are pushing on differenciating themselves at the same time, and having "their" identity if there is such a thing. In that regard, I'm more than happy with a full snowflake handset.
    Rolex sport --> Mercedes hands
    Tudor sport --> snowflake hands

Makes sense to me, as I've never been buying a tudor because I wanted a rolex, but because I wanted a tudor with the snowflake hands.
    I'm happy for them to stick to a (relatively) specific identity the way they do
    Ok, Einstein. Another award winning contribution from you in your quest to flood TZ with 60 posts per day. The comment was in relation to the seconds hand but anything for another reply, eh?

Ok, Einstein. Another award winning contribution from you in your quest to flood TZ with 60 posts per day. The comment was in relation to the seconds hand but anything for another reply, eh?
    Alright mate, I may have been writing something a bit too complicated for you.

You mentioned two things, the gmt hand, and the second hand, so two points.

I made...2 points, one on the gmt hand, the other one one the whole handset, which happens to include the second hand.

Also, sorry if I don't consider your debate on the fact you want more rolex cues on a tudor as the most revolutionnary or interesting on the forum

If you're getting too emotional here to be able to read properly a message before answering it like an angry 14yr old girl, that's a bit sad, and it's making me doubt of your ability to judge the quality of someone else's post.

I will put the necessity you seem to feel to act like a jerk and consider yourself as more legit because of your post count on the fact we are on lockdown and you might be on psychological distress, so no hard feeling mate! ;)
    Last edited by Wandril; 8th March 2021 at 20:38.

OK I have to ask now, what is it that has stirred up some much anger from people on this forum regarding this guy. Is there something I am missing here?

It needs to be easier than this?
    Not sure that's particularly conclusive, given the arrow on majority of these GMT hands extends beyond the markers to point to the bezel. The difference here is the Tudor markers are not on the very edge of the dial. I think it's somewhat of a reach to suggest Tudor was sloppy or did this accidentally, it's a design choice but of course not everyone will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    OK I have to ask now, what is it that has stirred up some much anger from people on this forum regarding this guy. Is there something I am missing here?
    There are two milestones for many new members here. One being 50 posts to view Sales Corner, the other being 250 posts to post in Sales Corner. You also need to be a member here for 60 and 180 days respectively for both milestones to matter.

Some members get sick and tired when seeing new joiners clog up the forum with pointless reply after pointless reply in their painfully transparent quest to hit 50 and then 250 posts. I think he even had 46 posts in a single day last week. All top notch contributions, obviously.

Master
    Snowflake hour, minute, & GMT hands make perfect sense by the brand for me. The GMT hand 'reaches out' to the bezel so much better to my eye than one that falls short. Just my humble opinion. And an arrow GMT hand would jar living alongside the Snowflakes. So for me, biased as I am, perfecto.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Short answer, guilty of speed posting.
    The jugement on the quality of the posts is to me irelevant and unaccurate
    Last edited by Wandril; 8th March 2021 at 21:12.

There are two milestones for many new members here. One being 50 posts to view Sales Corner, the other being 250 posts to post in Sales Corner. You also need to be a member here for 60 and 180 days respectively for both milestones to matter.

Some members get sick and tired when seeing new joiners clog up the forum with pointless reply after pointless reply in their painfully transparent quest to hit 50 and then 250 posts. I think he even had 46 posts in a single day last week. All top notch contributions, obviously.
    I've not been disrespectful to anyone and I don't see myself as much as you do as the pain in the arse, make yourself a favor, and move on, you're fighting in the wind mate

TUDOR Black Bay GMT - what do you think?

I too would like to see this watch in the BB58 size, not sure if it’ll happen though.

Also, I blame this thread for the purchase I made today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk