closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TUDOR Black Bay GMT - what do you think?

Master

TUDOR Black Bay GMT - what do you think?

seems very good value new at £3k on a Bracelet

what do you think?

any owners on the Forum?
    Last edited by BillN; 3rd March 2021 at 13:34.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I owned one and really liked it.
    It had the bracelet changed to non-rivet which I preferred. It was comfy, legible, not as slab sided as the black bay as it has a bevel on the bottom of the case.
    I sold it for no other reason that I was saving for something else.
    I never experienced the sticky date issue with mine, I think its been resolved by Tudor now.

I was about to say exactly the same as verv. I loved mine, great watch for the price and had no date issues either. Like the Black Bay, you need to be comfortable with a maxi-case sized watch but I found it comfortable. I sold mine just because I'm a serial flipper rather than anything I disliked about the watch...Tudor are a great brand.

Tried it at an Ad, I thought it was looking great but quite bulky. If you're used to it then it seems like a great watch, if you like your watches to be compact, not too heavy, then it might be a problem

There’s one on SC right now...

Yup, quite honestly priced at 2.5k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Yup, quite honestly priced at 2.5k
    not sure what the warranty is, 2 years?, but they are "only" £3k new - the warranty has got to be worth a few hundred £'s

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    not sure what the warranty is, 2 years?, but they are "only" £3k new - the warranty has got to be worth a few hundred £'s
    I think it's 5 years now if I'm not mistaking, but not sure for a 2018 watch.
    You've got the tudor nato with it though, I don't think they're giving it with the bracelet now

Yes, 5 years warranty - I love mine. Although I do wear the Harrods or a black dial ETA Black Bay a little more often.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I echo others. I love mine. The bezel has a lovely action the, the dial has a superb texture when it catches the sun. The bezel colour is really nice too. Accuracy is spot on with mine running at around 0.2 SPD. My only complaints are lack of tool less micro adjusting clasp and no half links to get a better fit.

While it is 14.5mm ish thick the crystal is 1.5mm of that. With the GMT they added a lower case chamfer to make it look less slab sided which does work, especially when compared to the other BB41 range. Overall it’s a very well made, very well styled watch, for my taste anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I echo others. I love mine. The bezel has a lovely action the, the dial has a superb texture when it catches the sun. The bezel colour is really nice too. Accuracy is spot on with mine running at around 0.2 SPD. My only complaints are lack of tool less micro adjusting clasp and no half links to get a better fit.

While it is 14.5mm ish thick the crystal is 1.5mm of that. With the GMT they added a lower case chamfer to make it look less slab sided which does work, especially when compared to the other BB41 range. Overall it’s a very well made, very well styled watch, for my taste anyway.
    It's true the bracelet is not the easiest to get the right size.
    The chamfered edge at the bottom of the case is a nice touch

Tried one in a shop when they first came out - well made and a good price but way too big (and thick) for my small wrist... for some reason I feel like BBs wear bigger than some seadwellers (especially 4 - 5 digit ones).

Had one and sold it. Liked it but had some issues with the bracelets which lead me to lose trust in it and it became a problem. Also came to dislike the round markers with the snowflake hand.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I really liked mine and only sold it to fund something else, which typically I no longer have. As others have said, it’s a fair size but I like that and the bevel on the bottom edge does make a difference. I never experienced the date issue and I wouldn’t rule out another.

I never understand why they are such slow sellers. I like mine although I only wore it on Bracelet for a few months. It's been on a Rubber B for ages now and looks great. I would rather have it than the BB58 that just sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I never understand why they are such slow sellers. I like mine although I only wore it on Bracelet for a few months. It's been on a Rubber B for ages now and looks great. I would rather have it than the BB58 that just sold.
    Probably the fact pretty much everyone heard about the date issue and the fact it's fairly chunky.
    It looks beautiful though, can't deny that

Probably the fact pretty much everyone heard about the date issue and the fact it's fairly chunky.
    Yes that's true. But the fault is covered by warranty so shouldn't be a problem. Mine has never (touching wood) been faulty. The chunk issue only affects girly wrists anyway lol.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed mine and had quite a vintage feel with the bezel compared to a modern Rolex. Felt the bracelet wasn’t the best but for under 3k it was a winner

I love mine. It’s been a daily wearer from the day I picked it up. Had it 2 years now and I can’t fault it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I also loved mine but I had the same issue I had with my blue eta and bb58 which was the bracelet sizing. I just couldn't get it to fit nicely. A real shame as I would have any of them in a heartbeat if they came with a half link.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’ve owned mine for about a year now and I absolutely love it, despite it being quite thick but still comfortable. The bracelet is good but can get quite heavy when worn for long periods. Personally I think it looks really great on a brown leather strap, which is preference or I have tried a Bond nato which also worked very well. Definitely a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had one for a couple of years and, generally speaking, really enjoyed it.

Always knew I would move it on at some point though as the sizing is just a little off for me personally.

The BLNR came and the Tudor GMT went, but it’s a great watch for the money they ask.

Too much money for watch with a poor bracelet and aluminium bezel even if it does have an in house movement.

I am more in the camp of ETA/Sellita movements as they can be cheaply serviced and you can get watches of similar or better spec for half the cost, and usually much less than that.

Anyone has a picture of the sides of the beast, showing the beveled edge at the bottom of the case?

True, the date issue and people complaining about the size of the watch (Though I think the second point was massively exaggerated) I have had mine for a few years now I wear mine on a leather strap (Which I think the GMT looks best on) Its a fantastic watch very well made and very accurate. Not had a problem with the date so not sure how big the numbers were that had the problem but its been resolved anyway.

I have the bracelet but its still in the plastic wrapping I have never used it, not because of any dislike of Tudor bracelets but simply because I prefer to use a leather watch strap. I personally think its one of the best watches out there for the money.

Master
    Anyone has a picture of the sides of the beast, showing the beveled edge at the bottom of the case?
    This may help. I made this after I procrastinated due to thickness.

https://youtu.be/H5t-sPjIuoY

Master
    The sheer number of people commenting on this and saying it is a keeper is a good indication of whether it is worth the money or not.
    I got one as soon as it was released and moved it on. I had the chance to get another recently and jumped on it. This time, it is probably staying.
    Some points about thickness; they are right, but somehow it doesn’t look bad. As has been pointed out some of it is due to the nicely boxed crystal.
    The bracelet is amazing with one of the best clasps I have ever come across. But the micro adjustment could have been better.
    Some others mention the use of an aluminium bezel. It is a vintage inspired watch and the use of an aluminium bezel is just right.
    Overall, I think it is one of the best releases from the rolex / Tudor consortium
    The last few years. I hope it will be topped by a new explorer 2 but let’s wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Some others mention the use of an aluminium bezel. It is a vintage inspired watch and the use of an aluminium bezel is just right.
    Absolutely agree with this, aluminium looks so much classier than shiny plastic (or ceramic if you prefer) and the washed out colours of the Pepsi ceramic Rolex are just awful. Matte ceramic on the Pelagos looks better but apparently bits of the lumed numerals can fall out! Never happened to mine but I didn't have it long.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RS404; 3rd March 2021 at 22:23.

Journeyman
    Had the date issue with mine but still love it. It just has that feel of quality that is difficult to put your finger on.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got one too. I did experience the date issue but it was fixed under warranty pretty quickly last year. Since then no issues with the date.

My main bugbear is the bracelet because getting a good fit can be tricky because of the lack of micro adjustment.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The sheer number of people commenting on this and saying it is a keeper is a good indication of whether it is worth the money or not.
    I got one as soon as it was released and moved it on. I had the chance to get another recently and jumped on it. This time, it is probably staying.
    Some points about thickness; they are right, but somehow it doesn’t look bad. As has been pointed out some of it is due to the nicely boxed crystal.
    The bracelet is amazing with one of the best clasps I have ever come across. But the micro adjustment could have been better.
    Overall, I think it is one of the best releases from the rolex / Tudor consortium
    The last few years. I hope it will be topped by a new explorer 2 but let’s wait and see!

Good point on the watch being a keeper for many!

And totally agree on the aluminium bezel, it has a charm ceramic doesn't, and the colours on this one are just right

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    This may help. I made this after I procrastinated due to thickness.

https://youtu.be/H5t-sPjIuoY
    Thanks for the video! The beveled edge seems to make quite a difference yes

Thanks for the video! The beveled edge seems to make quite a difference yes
    Please, stop.

The race to get access to Sales Corner is often thwarted, often resulting in a post count reset to zero..........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Please, stop.

The race to get access to Sales Corner is often thwarted, often resulting in a post count reset to zero..........
    What an odd comment

Master
    Personally for £3k on a bracelet I think they are well worth considering. The 'rivet' bracelet itself isn't to my taste though.
    I had one and loved it, mine originally came on the Tudor leather strap which I don't think really works.
    I didn't want another bracelet watch at the time and tried numerous alternative straps, the best combination being an Erikas MN blue with red stripe.
    I have slim wrists and the size and depth of the case was never an issue to me.
    The blue/red bezel was different and I liked it but I never had a need for the GMT function so eventually decided to sell it for something else.
    Tried on SC here with limited interest (unsure why they don't appear to be desirable?) but sold it on ebay for a good price
    I wouldn't rule out having one again

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What an odd comment
    Not particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Please, stop.

Ok, noted, next time someone answers to me I just don't aknowledge anything and I make sure to not thank the person, otherwise it can be interprated as an attempt to just make my post count higher.

I am very much looking forward to reach the 250 posts indeed for two reasons:

- To post on the sales corner, since as pretty much everyone here I like a bit of change in my collection and to rotate watches

- To post whatever I like without having anymore anyone making this kind of comment. I'm sure your almost 40000 posts count are only composed with revolutionnary posts of high quality and nothing of the sort like mine..

No hard feeling really, it's just don't see the point in this type of comment that's all

Is the warranty date issue fix permanent?

I’d be concerned if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not particularly.
    Ok your right, it was entirely relevant to a friendly discussion about the Tudor GMT

Many thanks

Size is all wrong in my eyes.

A bb58 size is way better.

Plus a friend of mine had one with sticky date, it took 3 different attempts to solve it. Kinda ruined Tudor as a serious proposition for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Plus a friend of mine had one with sticky date, it took 3 different attempts to solve it. Kinda ruined Tudor as a serious proposition for me.

All I've heard is "lubrication issue" when the sticky date wheel is talked about, never anything more technical. I think this might be part of the problem some people have with the GMT...Tudor aren't exactly forthright as to what the problem is and how it is fixed. With stories that people have had the problem multiple times (I've also read similar), that certainly has got to put others off. Does anyone know exactly what the source of the problem is?

Having said that, I had no problems with my GMT and I really like the brand...their servicing through Rolex is a real bonus and I thought extremely good value when I had a BB service at St James that was much cheaper than I would have had from other brands.

I got one of the very first ones, and I really rate it.
    I sold it recently as I just had too many "Snowflake" hands in the collection, and my '76 Snowflake and Pelagos are going nowhere, so it was sold.
    Given a free budgetary reign in my collection, I would not have sold it.
    It is a proper GMT and I the only specification I would change is having a 120 click bezel, just in case you wanted to use the pointer as a minute marker.
    I had no date issues.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I had no date issues. Dave
    Threads like this are good for getting a balance as you normally only specifically hear from people who have the issue.

Master
    I had one for a time, and it looked great on the wrist. Mine did however, stop working. It went off to Tudor to be fixed and was fine afterwards. It is a good looking watch and I would consider one again, next time perhaps on the nato.

Last bracket on the matter so after that the thread can go back to the tudor bb gmt only:

If I have time to spend on tz UK, that's my problem

If you go in the details of my messages yesterday, you will see that I'm not just posting "one liners", and I don't see how any of my comment is not as relevant as anyone else.
    As said before, if I was doing the same thing with a 500 posts count, no one would bat an eye. Many members are posting posts such as "very interesting", or a joke, and no one seems bothered, so why would it be different for a newcomer on the forum?

If someone who has the power to put the posts count of someone back to zero, then so be it, I don't see how it would change anything.

I don't see my time here so far in any other way than just trying to be implicated in a forum that I've been reading for months but only started to post recently as I thought I would enjoy the interaction.

It's even more relevant I think in a situation of lockdown, with no possibility to interact with anyone apart from phone/internet.

The sales corner is part of collecting and exchanging watches between members, as we see our interest and tastes changing, why would anyone here not want to have an access to it?

I would understand the defensive reactions if I was acting like a disrespectful t**t all the time through my posts, and if I was litteraly posting things like "ok", but I don't think I belong in this category.
    As said, if someone feels like I do anyway, and has the power, and more importantly, nothing else to do, then please go ahead and ban me/put my my post count to zero etc...

I'm done with the justification, back to the tudor!

The 250 post limit is there for a reason: to allow the community to gauge you before engaging in a possible transaction. In other words, build trust.
    You've been a member for almost a year (so you joined during the first lockdown) but only started to post very recently. You will find out soon that you belong to a category called the "runners". it's not exactly a flattering label.
    And it will not help you once you post in SC. The first motto of SC is "before you buy the watch, buy the seller"
    By speed posting the way you did, you're trying to defeat the very reason this limit was set. Do not be surprised if people react negatively to this, regardless of your future intentions.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Last bracket on the matter so after that the thread can go back to the tudor bb gmt only:

If I have time to spend on tz UK, that's my problem

If you go in the details of my messages yesterday, you will see that I'm not just posting "one liners", and I don't see how any of my comment is not as relevant as anyone else.
    As said before, if I was doing the same thing with a 500 posts count, no one would bat an eye. Many members are posting posts such as "very interesting", or a joke, and no one seems bothered, so why would it be different for a newcomer on the forum?

If someone who has the power to put the posts count of someone back to zero, then so be it, I don't see how it would change anything.

I don't see my time here so far in any other way than just trying to be implicated in a forum that I've been reading for months but only started to post recently as I thought I would enjoy the interaction.

It's even more relevant I think in a situation of lockdown, with no possibility to interact with anyone apart from phone/internet.

The sales corner is part of collecting and exchanging watches between members, as we see our interest and tastes changing, why would anyone here not want to have an access to it?

I would understand the defensive reactions if I was acting like a disrespectful t**t all the time through my posts, and if I was litteraly posting things like "ok", but I don't think I belong in this category.
    As said, if someone feels like I do anyway, and has the power, and more importantly, nothing else to do, then please go ahead and ban me/put my my post count to zero etc...

I'm done with the justification, back to the tudor!
    I think you’d find there’s quite a few odd characters here, nothing to be bothered about though, best to move on. I had the same kind of interactions in the beginning, but all that seems to vanish once you reach the 250 posts. You are next level then, fully fledged and respected member. Hell, you might even become “one of the good guys” one day!
    Some people just have nothing better to do but look for ways to start an argument. And yes, seems like the lockdown made it worse in some cases.
    Have you visited The Bear Pit yet? That’s where it gets really interesting.

Oh, I like the Tudor BB GMT, looks cool.

TUDOR Black Bay GMT - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The 250 post limit is there for a reason: to allow the community to gauge you before engaging in a possible transaction. In other words, build trust.
    You've been a member for almost a year (so you joined during the first lockdown) but only started to post very recently. You will find out soon that you belong to a category called the "runners". it's not exactly a flattering label.
    And it will not help you once you post in SC. The first motto of SC is "before you buy the watch, buy the seller"
    By speed posting the way you did, you're trying to defeat the very reason this limit was set. Do not be surprised if people react negatively to this, regardless of your future intentions.
    Interesting points and I agree there’s a reason to it.

But on the other hand, what is the reasonable amount of posts you can do per day not to be a classed as a “runner”? I didn’t see that in any forum rules...

I guess it’s sort of my fault, as I bought a watch from Wandril and we got talking (as you do), I told him to get involved on the forum and here we are...

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Interesting points and I agree there’s a reason to it.

But on the other hand, what is the reasonable amount of posts you can do per day not to be a classed as a “runner”? I didn’t see that in any forum rules...
    It's not a written rule. There is no set number of PPD. It's all about patterns. Taking part in multiple threads in WT and replying to every other post may be fine one day. If it happens regularly it becomes a pattern.
    The proof of the pudding usually lies in the evolution of the PPD count once the magic 250 has been reached. It is not unusual that most posts after this date are either in SC or H&V...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.