closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BB ETA vs In-house accuracy - any experiences

Craftsman

BB ETA vs In-house accuracy - any experiences

Hi All,

As a previous owner of 2 x Black Bays with in house movement, I find myself pondering getting one as a daily beater - but I’m assuming the original ETA versions may well be cheaper and more suitable?

Have any of you lot had both and can share some decent comparisons with me? I know the ETA case is slightly thinner and there will be no faux rivets in sight - but what about the movement? I like the fact that I can have it serviced anywhere, but I would hate to have an inaccurate watch with a poor power reserve.

Be great if someone could share their experiences with me. I’m fancying in particular the BBR (I’ve only had the black before).

Cheers all

I thought the ETA Black Bays were more expansive due to rarity? Also marginally thinner. Some people refer to them as "smileys" due to the dial text. ETA models come with a nicer, more modern bracelet.

Nothing helpful to add re timekeeping but best of luck in the hunt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I thought the ETA Black Bays were more expansive due to rarity? Also marginally thinner. Some people refer to them as "smileys" due to the dial text. ETA models come with a nicer, more modern bracelet.

Nothing helpful to add re timekeeping but best of luck in the hunt.
    Ah I thought that was just the black bezel ETA version. IIRC they started with red bezel on the ETAs then a limited production of black bezels at the end of the production run with smiley dial and then released the in-house.

I also remember selling my black bezel in-house version for about £1900 at the time, just couldn’t get rid of it :-(

I think they might be a bit of a lottery. I've seen people say their ETA runs within 1-2 seconds a day, I've owned 2 ETAs and both settled down at about +6 a day (both bought new from an AD). I'm happy enough with that accuracy to be honest. You might find a red or blue one for a reasonable price, a black one maybe not so much since they were only in production for about 6 months I think.

I owned a bb36 with ETA, I must be part of the lucky ones as it was running within -1 to +1 per day

My ETA Black Bay, black bezel, from November 2015 runs at about +2s per day.

The original red bezel version was launched in 2012, followed by the blue (about 12 months later?).

The ETA based black bezel was launched in October 2015, with all three being replaced by the in-house models the following March.

Therefore on the basis that Tudor knew the In-house model was on its way when the black bezel was launched, its fair to say that there weren’t many of the ETA black bezel model produced...

Probably less than for many Omega or Seiko limited edition models.

Mine has always been rock solid, within 1-2 secs per day with 0 positional variance. It has started to slip a bit recently, more like 6 secs per day but its 4 yrs old now and am sure a service would have it back to where is was.

Yes they are marginally slimmer, sans rivets and also have the original Tudor rose and smiley dial. I chose mine over the in house version for the above reasons. Also bear in mind the eta that Tudor use is not your bog standard eta, so not really comparable with a typical 1k Swiss or micro brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. That's a custom Tudor ETA top grade and they regulate it really well

Journeyman
    I’ve had both the ETA version and the in-house version. Movement wise there wasn’t a lot to tell between the two, both running at about +10 seconds a day. I was actually a bit shocked that the in-house was not more accurate.

If I were to buy one of them today I would be looking for an ETA smiley. It’s cuter and more wearable on the wrist, since I always found the in-house version rather slab-sided.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    I’ve had both the ETA version and the in-house version. Movement wise there wasn’t a lot to tell between the two, both running at about +10 seconds a day. I was actually a bit shocked that the in-house was not more accurate.

If I were to buy one of them today I would be looking for an ETA smiley. It’s cuter and more wearable on the wrist, since I always found the in-house version rather slab-sided.

Wow I’m surprised the in-house was also at +10 seconds a day. I think mine were about 2-3 but I might have been lucky. Sounds like there’s little point going in-house at all then unless I’m that desperate for extra power reserve.

When I bought my first in-house I was also offered the ETA version (last one they had in stock), and I could see it looked less slab sided, but I’m kicking myself for never bothering to try it on.

There’s also the lovely looking BB GMT on SC now that’s caught my eye, not sure on date wheel though.

Thanks for everyone’s input though, really appreciate it. I’ll withdraw form the thread and have a think versus clog up the forum with what watch posts.

I have two Tudors, one in-house Black Bay and one ETA 1926. The in-house runs eerily accurate, within a second a day. The ETA also is very accurate though, within two seconds a day.

The ETA also happens to be on Sales Corner

Master
    My experience is positive on both.

In house Tudors have been very accurate. Like 1 second per day accurate.

ETA Tudors have been no more than 3 or 4 seconds out per day.

The ETA in the Tudor is a good movement, changed a little bit and regulated.

Journeyman
    In house Harrods BB: lost 5 seconds over 2 weeks last time I wore and measured.