closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: E10 fuel

Craftsman

E10 fuel

Hi I know there's a few on here that run classic cars, just looking for opinions on the impact of E10 fuel ?
    My 2 'classics' i think will be ok but cars of 60s vintage or older may struggle with perishing fuel lines/ rubber components etc..
    I'm not too bothered about the drop in mpg or performance as I think these are negligible,just what will need to be done to carry on enjoying older cars without too much fuss...
    Please don't turn this into a climate change debate, plenty of other topics about that

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a 1955 Morris Minor. What's E10 fuel?

Edit: Having googled it because it's the first I've heard of E10 fuel...can't we just use 'super' E5 unleaded?
    Last edited by trident-7; 2nd March 2021 at 19:41.

Master
    Both of my classic bikes have suffered with cracking due to E5 . For the last 4 years I have drained the fuel tanks and carbs ( by running engine with taps closed) and have not had issues. I tried a fuel stabilizer , but it caused sticking of the float on one carb leading to pure petrol landing on a hot exhaust.

Other than Alkalate fuels ( £25 per gallon) or a water wash process ( ok for bikes, no good for cars due to volumes used ) the best option seems to be Briggs Stratton Fuel Fit. It gets good reviews from many quarters, eg Amazon 1300 ratings 94% 5 or 4*. Think thats what I will be using when E10 launches.

Steve

I had the same float bowl issue on my 70's Honda on waking it from its winter slumber. I've got various bottles of stabiliser which I've been using since being made aware of the addition of ethanol. They didn't save me the puddle of fuel on the garage floor. I just wish Aspen fuel was a little cheaper. Considering the miles I do perhaps I should treat the bike to the odd tankfull.

Craftsman
    Image1614712303.755766.jpg

Hope this has copied.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’ll try to find the link that explains the new fuel.

Craftsman
    www.fbhvc.co.uk

Hopefully this link should be ok.

Wait until Unclealec hears. He still uses coal for his cars!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've got a 1955 Morris Minor. What's E10 fuel?

Edit: Having googled it because it's the first I've heard of E10 fuel...can't we just use 'super' E5 unleaded?
    I may be wrong but its possible that the ethanol content in all fuel will increase regardless of octane etc.. or they may phase out other fuel and just go with the ethanol option..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    95 RON unleaded will stop but 97/98 RON E5 will continue for the foreseeable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    95 RON unleaded will stop but 97/98 RON E5 will continue for the foreseeable
    95 Ron won't be stopping, 95 Ron E10 will become the 'new' UK standard for petrol, E5 will still be available but only as the 'super' grades i.e: Shell Vpower, Tesco Momentum etc.
    Don't imagine you will see any changes in the near future, It will be the 3rd quarter of this year at the earliest (scheduled for September) which I think is optimistic

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    95 Ron won't be stopping, 95 Ron E10 will become the 'new' UK standard for petrol, E5 will still be available but only as the 'super' grades i.e: Shell Vpower, Tesco Momentum etc.
    Don't imagine you will see any changes in the near future, It will be the 3rd quarter of this year at the earliest (scheduled for September) which I think is optimistic
    Sorry, that's what I should have said ...