closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Chris Barber

RIP Chris Barber

Chris Barber has died aged 90 ... he played trombone and double bass in his bands for almost 70 years ... Lonnie Donegan played in his 1953 band. CB was a big influence on the UK jazz scenes from '50s up until the present day ... a jazz survivor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6E_D20538

R.I.P. Chris Barber
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Sad to hear. While I'm not a fan of trad Jazz anymore, it was Ball, Barber and Bilk that got me started with Jazz. They seem a long time in the past, but were hugely popular in their heyday.

Very sorry to hear this.

Some of my earliest music memories were playing my Dad’s Chris Barber LPs on an old portable record player.

I’m also proud to say that I helped him win £5 on a quiz machine in the Bridge Street Arts centre in Newcastle under Lyme in the 1980s.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Sad news, an icon of UK jazz, some of his bluesier lp’s are well worth a listen. He was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for bringing the blues to the uk, which begat skiffle( Lonnie Donegal was in his band and started off with solo spots) , which begat The Beatles, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin and all the rest from there.