closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best place to buy a secondhand Speedie?

Threaded View

Best place to buy a secondhand Speedie?

Hello All

My brother is looking for a Speedmaster Professional, any idea of trusted and reasonably-priced sellers?

It's not really my area of expertise but as I'm the family watch nut I told him the following, hope it's more or less right?

"There's three types:

1. the full-fat Professional (the classic: "moon watch”, 42mm, hand-winding)

2. the space-age shaped Mk II -- widely hated but some people (perversely) love it and consider it an underrated classic.

3. and the so-called “reduced” (like the Professional except automatic movement and “only” 38mm -- which is still a decent size in my book.)

The second and third options are a lot cheaper. Some consider them “not quite the real deal” and will tell you that you only end up selling and buy a Professional in the end so do it once and get it right from the start. Personally, I hate the “Mk II” (why mess with that beautiful 1960s case?) but I like the smaller size of the “reduced”. Those self-winding movements are a pain to work on though and not as bulletproof reliable as the manual winders. But more waterproof. So: pros and cons.

Ideally you need to try on all three types just to see how they fit and feel. All three have their fans but many will tell you there’s only one true Speedmaster: the Professional. It’s also the most expensive, natch."

Hope I'm not too far off with that little precis

Is watchfinder.co.uk any good? Parkers have a couple in, too. Anywhere else?

THANKS
    Last edited by Rev-O; 2nd March 2021 at 18:32.