closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Humming in the bedroom!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries

Humming in the bedroom!!!!

For the last week-10 days Mrs McB and I have heard a humming sound in our bedroom - keep it clean please!

We’ve turned all electrics off and on - keep it clean I said - to no avail. We thought it was our outside alarm box, or even the cctv camera, maybe the telephone answering machine, or maybe the double fone chargers, then again the bulb in bedside lamp. Nope. None of them.

So, tonight I thoroughly rummaged in hers and my drawers (KEEP IT CLEAN PLEASE) and shifted stuff (long time since I did that) and only when I shifted the watch display cabinet box with a few pieces did it stop. Why? Cos the Omega F300 had turned in the cabinet and was touching against the glass, and the glass was doing what glass does - amplify the sound.

Now I really appreciate why they’re called ‘The Hummer!!’ Unbelievable.

Time for decent nights kip thank goodness once I put her drawers in order.

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 2nd March 2021 at 09:54.

Master
    I had such high hopes for this thread. We have a humming, or rather a high pitched sound in the bedroom, and not been able to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately I don’t own a hummer, so it’s not that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I had such high hopes for this thread. We have a humming, or rather a high pitched sound in the bedroom, and not been able to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately I don’t own a hummer, so it’s not that.
    Is it like a whistling sound?
    Mine turned out to be the radiator, depending on which setting the thermostatic valve was on, 5 ok, 3 ok, but anything just before or after 4 when heating up whistled, not too loud, but loud enough to annoy

It could have been much, MUCH worse

I've got 3 tuning fork watches now but had 5 at my peak, now that was a racket, so much so I ended up moving the watch box out of the bedroom.

Some tend to be noissier than others.

Definitely don't want them on a glass surface, haha

We had a very faint and constant beeping for three weeks ago. I was tearing my hair out over it. I nearly asked the neighbour if they had something beeping next door. Turned out it was a usb hub for a phone charger. It shouldn't be beeping so was clearly broken - ripped it out and no more beeping. What a relief.

I get this every time I go to Cuba
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    For the last week-10 days Mrs McB and I have heard a humming sound in our bedroom - keep it clean please!

We’ve turned all electrics off and on - keep it clean I said - to no avail. We thought it was our outside alarm box, or even the cctv camera, maybe the telephone answering machine, or maybe the double fone chargers, then again the bulb in bedside lamp. Nope. None of them.

So, tonight I thoroughly rummaged in hers and my drawers (KEEP IT CLEAN PLEASE) and shifted stuff (long time since I did that) and only when I shifted the watch display cabinet box with a few pieces did it stop. Why? Cos the Omega F300 had turned in the cabinet and was touching against the glass, and the glass was doing was glass does, amplify the sound.

Now I really know why they’re call The Hummer!! Unbelievable.

Time for decent nights kip thank goodness once I put her drawers in order.

Jim

Euphemism of the month!
    F.T.F.A.

I have an Archimedes flieger that makes quite a high pitch ping every tick. Like you, that took me a while to realise where the noise was coming from.

I’ve noticed that if I place a mechanical watch on my bedside unit the vibration travels up a lamp and is amplified by the lamp shade. I can easily hear the movement half a metre away, yet the watch is inaudible unless held up to the ear.

I can hear my Longines Hummer humming across the room, inside a wooden watch box that rests on a polystyrene sheet.

They are noisy devils!

Luckily I sleep well, so it's not a problem, but I did wonder what it was for a few days.

Strangely my Bulova Deep Sea 666 doesn't hum anything like as loudly - I guess part of it is down to case design.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It could have been much, MUCH worse

Gosh that was a long video! 35000 bees is not that many really. My colonies can reach up-to 60000 at the height of summer - example

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Is it like a whistling sound?
    Mine turned out to be the radiator, depending on which setting the thermostatic valve was on, 5 ok, 3 ok, but anything just before or after 4 when heating up whistled, not too loud, but loud enough to annoy
    Good thing to check. It sounds more like an electronic high pitch sound (but like a TV), but will check radiators too as couldn’t find anything else

Craftsman
    I was getting an intermittent clicking in my home office; I was worried that my PC's disk drive was failing--the dreaded "click of death". But no, it still happened when the PCs was switched off, and I was just using the work laptop. Could it be the monitor the laptop was plugged into? Surely not the laptop, as it is very new?

Eventually I twigged that it was my watch winder, switching on for a few turns. It is behind my office chair, so I am normally looking the other way when it does it thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I was getting an intermittent clicking in my home office; I was worried that my PC's disk drive was failing--the dreaded "click of death". But no, it still happened when the PCs was switched off, and I was just using the work laptop. Could it be the monitor the laptop was plugged into? Surely not the laptop, as it is very new?

Eventually I twigged that it was my watch winder, switching on for a few turns. It is behind my office chair, so I am normally looking the other way when it does it thing.
    John Finnemore on watch winders:

“And now we come to the centerpiece of the exhibition. Can anyone tell me what this object is? No? You can’t see it at the back, it’s roughly cuboid, about a foot square, beautifully finished with brushed aluminium and maple wood. And under the glass lid are four round places for putting something. Each about the size of a jam jar lid. And when I press this switch, those receptacles begin to rock gently to and fro. Well, to explain what this is and why it’s so significant to the museum, I must first tell you a bit about watches. When watches were first made, they were very expensive. A status symbol for the rich. And they ran on elaborate clockwork, a system of tiny, finely balanced weights, cogs and springs, and had to be wound up by hand every day. As time went on it became possible to make watches cheaply as well and these often ran on small batteries. But the mechanical ones became a status symbol because of the craft required to make them. Then, a watchmaker discovered a way to use the natural movements of the wearer’s arm to keep the mechanical ones charged, without needing either manual winding or batteries. These became the most highly priced and expensive of all. But some very, very rich people, might have two such watches. Or even more! And then, the ones that weren’t being worn, would begin to loose their charge. And so, the luxury watch companies began to make and sell these objects, to their richest clients. Machines, in which the buyer could store up to four of his spare, luxury, batteryless watches, which would rock them ceaselessly to and fro to simulate the movements of the arm and keep them charged. And it ran, of course, off the mains. And that is why, this humble object, forms the centerpiece of our museum of human folly. Where it stands as a constant lesson and a warning to us, the cockroach people who emerged from the ruins of their doomed civilization, never to be as bloody silly as them.”

But this is the one I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LHk...annel=notsyort

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I’ve noticed that if I place a mechanical watch on my bedside unit the vibration travels up a lamp and is amplified by the lamp shade. I can easily hear the movement half a metre away, yet the watch is inaudible unless held up to the ear.
    I have the same thing, but until you posted this, I didn't consider the lampshade. Seems most obvious with Miyota movements.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    John Finnemore on watch winders:

“And now we come to the centerpiece of the exhibition. Can anyone tell me what this object is? No? You can’t see it at the back, it’s roughly cuboid, about a foot square, beautifully finished with brushed aluminium and maple wood. And under the glass lid are four round places for putting something. Each about the size of a jam jar lid. And when I press this switch, those receptacles begin to rock gently to and fro. Well, to explain what this is and why it’s so significant to the museum, I must first tell you a bit about watches. When watches were first made, they were very expensive. A status symbol for the rich. And they ran on elaborate clockwork, a system of tiny, finely balanced weights, cogs and springs, and had to be wound up by hand every day. As time went on it became possible to make watches cheaply as well and these often ran on small batteries. But the mechanical ones became a status symbol because of the craft required to make them. Then, a watchmaker discovered a way to use the natural movements of the wearer’s arm to keep the mechanical ones charged, without needing either manual winding or batteries. These became the most highly priced and expensive of all. But some very, very rich people, might have two such watches. Or even more! And then, the ones that weren’t being worn, would begin to loose their charge. And so, the luxury watch companies began to make and sell these objects, to their richest clients. Machines, in which the buyer could store up to four of his spare, luxury, batteryless watches, which would rock them ceaselessly to and fro to simulate the movements of the arm and keep them charged. And it ran, of course, off the mains. And that is why, this humble object, forms the centerpiece of our museum of human folly. Where it stands as a constant lesson and a warning to us, the cockroach people who emerged from the ruins of their doomed civilization, never to be as bloody silly as them.”
    A fantastic quote! He really is a funny guy. I guess this is from The Museum of Curiosity?

I bought my winder when I was new to the world of mechanical watches. It only holds one watch, and now I have four. I do question the pointlessness of it, and I think I am coming round to Mr Finnemore’s point of view, that it is a foolish solution to a problem of our own making. I am going to try not using the winder, and if I can put up with resetting the time on my watches, and manual winding, I think I will sell the winder to some other fool.

Journeyman
    Personally, I like conspiracy theories, so would go with the alien invasion theory.
    But apparently I am wrong ....
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/57...ers-NOT-aliens

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    A fantastic quote! He really is a funny guy. I guess this is from The Museum of Curiosity?
    That's from John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme. He is very talented indeed, and has the rare quality of appealing to everybody in our family. Most fans of radio comedy are aware of Cabin Pressure but the lesser known Double Acts is also superb.

Yellow car!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's from John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme. He is very talented indeed, and has the rare quality of appealing to everybody in our family. Most fans of radio comedy are aware of Cabin Pressure but the lesser known Double Acts is also superb.

Yellow car!
    YELLOW CAR!!

And, yes, Double Acts was superb.

A seriously underrated comedian. Clever and funny.

The Mystery Of The Humming In The Bedroom?

Hmm. This sounds like a case for Jim Banana.

YELLOW CAR!!

And, yes, Double Acts was superb.

A seriously underrated comedian. Clever and funny.
    The lemon is in play.

Talisker?
    Is it Birling Day already?

Journeyman
    Mine turned out to be the neighbours water-feature malfunctioning in his rear passage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    Mine turned out to be the neighbours water-feature malfunctioning in his rear passage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds painful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The lemon is in play.

Hmmmmm Nixie!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Hmmmmm Nixie!!!!
    Oooh yeah!