closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Espresso machine recommendation

Craftsman

Espresso machine recommendation

Hi,

I appreciate there are a few threads on this matter , but none that really cover what I’m asking.

I currently use a La Pavoni Professional (lever machine) and get really good results. It has served me well, however, it is a bit of a faff. I have been considering a pump driven machine.

To that end has anyone got any recommendations for a really good espresso machine. Been considering sage duel boiler or expobar brewtus. Not after a bean to cup.

I know forums for coffee geeks exist but they’re too much, just want an good recommendation from a normal (ish ) crowd

Any advice welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    Hi,

I appreciate there are a few threads on this matter , but none that really cover what I’m asking.

I currently use a La Pavoni Professional (lever machine) and get really good results. It has served me well, however, it is a bit of a faff. I have been considering a pump driven machine.

To that end has anyone got any recommendations for a really good espresso machine. Been considering sage duel boiler or expobar brewtus. Not after a bean to cup.

I know forums for coffee geeks exist but they’re too much, just want an good recommendation from a normal (ish ) crowd

Any advice welcome.

I have the Expobar Brewtus twin boiler with the plumb in option.
    I upgraded from a Gaggia Classic about 10 years ago.

The Brewtus makes fantastic coffee.
    The PID is a big help in temp control which allows different roasts to have maximum flavour extracted.

I've never had an issue with my machine, I back flush it once a month.

Hope this helps

Jon

PS the La Pavoni is a thing of Beauty with heritage.
    How long have you had it?

Lelit Mara X?

I bought a Lelit maraX which is the latest in HX technology using some clever trix to avoid the need for flushing. I also really like the look. They do a DB machine in the similar price class (Elizabeth) but it doesn’t have that classic look.

You probably want to read up if you want a dual boiler or HX. Don’t forget you need a good grinder too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I bought a Lelit maraX which is the latest in HX technology using some clever trix to avoid the need for flushing. I also really like the look. They do a DB machine in the similar price class (Elizabeth) but it doesn’t have that classic look.

You probably want to read up if you want a dual boiler or HX. Don’t forget you need a good grinder too.
    Good point, grinder more important that the coffee machine, some pay more for the grinder.

I want from a very manual combination of LaPavoni Europicola with a Rok grinder to a MaraX and Niche Zero.

One of the the main reasons for the change was ease of use (so the Mrs could use it to). We’ll probably get through 4 espressos and 3 lattes per day, so the lever was too difficult to get decent repeatable shots from.

It’s been pretty faultless and is very easy to maintain. Very happy with the combination choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I want from a very manual combination of LaPavoni Europicola with a Rok grinder to a MaraX and Niche Zero.

One of the the main reasons for the change was ease of use (so the Mrs could use it to). We’ll probably get through 4 espressos and 3 lattes per day, so the lever was too difficult to get decent repeatable shots from.

It’s been pretty faultless and is very easy to maintain. Very happy with the combination choice.
    Love the idea of the stainless steel boiler. Far cleaner than copper.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice, great stuff.

I’ve had the la pavoni for about 6 years. Had real trouble with it, that was till I bought a mazer super jolly grinder.

Now I get very consistent results and epic espresso. Found a great coffee supplier at good price.

Just fancy a change and see if I can get similar results from a pump machine .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Good point, grinder more important that the coffee machine, some pay more for the grinder.
    No truer word spoken.

I’ve got a mazer super jolly. Takes up loads of space but worth it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post

Thanks for that. I’ll have a read .

Master
    There's a lot of information in this thread:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=192&t=1897720

James Hoffmann has an excellent Youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb...BNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

Craftsman
    It’s a decent outlay but one that should last a long time. My friend has suggested a few machines. All look similar and equally well reviewed, so difficult to decide. I’m sure they all do a good job.

Rocket R Chinquentotto
    Lelit bianca
    Profitec pro 700

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    There's a lot of information in this thread:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=192&t=1897720

James Hoffmann has an excellent Youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb...BNi-QqPk5T3gsQ
    Thanks for, I’ll take a look.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Lelit Mara X?
    Good suggestion x x x

Rocket Appartamento?

Looks better than the Lelit.

I am normally reluctant to buy anything Italian given the abysmal 2 wheeled products/customer service I "enjoyed" in the past but I bought a "Rocket Espresso" Giotto machine a while back and it has been excellent. They have a good range of machines at various price points.
    The Pavoni (I still have one in my garage) is little more than a glorified kettle!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Rocket Appartamento?

Looks better than the Lelit.
    No PID, no temperate control (compared to the Mara)
    Or do you just mean aesthetics?
    Guess it depends on your priorities but good repeatable extraction would be prioritised over looks for me.
    You have to go further up the rocket range for better temperature control.

No PID, no temperate control (compared to the Mara)
    Or do you just mean aesthetics?
    Guess it depends on your priorities but good repeatable extraction would be prioritised over looks for me.
    You have to go further up the rocket range for better temperature control.
    Depends how nice your kitchen is. I wouldn't want the Lelit sat in mine over the Rocket.

Plus, is a 3-way PID really that amazing that it will make a difference. I'm not convinced.

Either will be a step up from the La Pavoni though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    The Pavoni (I still have one in my garage) is little more than a glorified kettle!
    If you ever consider parting with the kettle let me know. :) I currently have a Sage Duo, which for the price, does a good job. But when it dies I was a Pavoni (probablt the europiccola), mainly for the theatre and looks.

Craftsman
    Hello,

Have a chat with these people....

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/

I have bought several bitz from them over my years of coffee obsession... spent many K's there.. always very good advice from them..

Good coffee from them as well.... and here too.

https://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/

I have gone to a bean to cup though... CBA with all the faff having done it for several years...

Regards

V

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    Hello,

I have bought several bitz from them over my years of coffee obsession... spent many K's there.. always very good advice from them..

I have gone to a bean to cup though... CBA with all the faff having done it for several years...

Regards

V
    Thanks for I’ll give them a shout , prob best when your making an investment like that

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    Hello,

Regards

V
    What bean to cup machine did you go for?

Master
    I've had an Isomac HX-machine now for over 12 years, so the cost per cup is now quite reasonable. I would suggest an E61 based machine as they are relatively easy to get serviced. Either HX with PID for temperature control or dual boiler. If I would buy now, I'd go for Profitec or Rocket.

Good points regarding the grinder above, it's important to budget for that too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    What bean to cup machine did you go for?
    This one. I bought it just over a year ago on offer at 599 inc a cocktail making gift set. Makes really good espresso. I don’t use the auto milk frother but do use the steam facility to manually steam the milk if required.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/ecam4...p/ECAM45.760.W

Regards

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/585...iler-bes920uk/

Regards.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've been the happy owner of a trouble free Rocket HX machine for a few years.

I'll buy another Rocket when the time comes.

Craftsman
    I know there are a lot of high earners with massive disposable incomes on these forums but I'm always looking out for the most cost effective way to do something, just at the edge of where the cost/return curve levels out. For coffee, I chose these:

De'Longhi Dedica Style, Traditional Barista Pump Espresso Machine, Coffee and Cappuccino Maker, EC685M

https://amzn.to/38cwVvf

Sboly Conical Burr Coffee Grinder

https://amzn.to/3bjUmVf

And freshly roasted coffee from Altitude Coffee (use FRIEND15 for 15% off first order)

https://altitude-coffee.co.uk/

Do you have a budget top end? Will you be upgrading the grinder as well? Mazzer SJ is great, I highly recommend the Doserless mods from Daniel if you're single dosing.

My money would go on a Lelit at the mo, probably a Mara X as mentioned above. Although if you can afford to stretch to a Decent, do that :)

I'm using my Sage DTP, and considering going back to a lever machine (had a La Pav previously), but not sure I can be bothered with the fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I know there are a lot of high earners with massive disposable incomes on these forums but I'm always looking out for the most cost effective way to do something, just at the edge of where the cost/return curve levels out. For coffee, I chose these:

De'Longhi Dedica Style, Traditional Barista Pump Espresso Machine, Coffee and Cappuccino Maker, EC685M

https://amzn.to/38cwVvf

Sboly Conical Burr Coffee Grinder

https://amzn.to/3bjUmVf

And freshly roasted coffee from Altitude Coffee (use FRIEND15 for 15% off first order)

https://altitude-coffee.co.uk/
    Whatever floats your boat, but to me you'd be better off spending the ~£230 on a decent hand grinder and an aeropress. The above definitely wouldn't be a step up from a La Pav + Super Jolly

Coffee looks good though.

I hate threads like this.

They always draw my attention to many £££'s worth of things I didn't know I needed, but now have to spend hours reading about, following which I will conclude that they are all items that I simply must have. No, NEED.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I hate threads like this.

They always draw my attention to many £££'s worth of things I didn't know I needed, but now have to spend hours reading about, following which I will conclude that they are all items that I simply must have. No, NEED.
    Do yourself a favour and buy some fresh beans and an aeropress and save several £100's 😬

Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    Do yourself a favour and buy some fresh beans and an aeropress and save several £100's 
    Which espresso machines have you owned to enable you to make that decision?

I have an Aeropress as well as a good espresso machine. In my opinion the Aeropress is second best in every way apart from price and portability. All subjective of course, and there may well be people with ownership experience of both that would disagree.

The elephant in the room is that an aeropress doesn’t make espresso coffee.
    That and a V60 makes a nicer brew (imho).

It’s nice to have options, sometimes I want a filter, sometimes an espresso.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    Whatever floats your boat, but to me you'd be better off spending the ~£230 on a decent hand grinder and an aeropress. The above definitely wouldn't be a step up from a La Pav + Super Jolly

Coffee looks good though.
    Those items are showing at retail now but when I bought them they were heavily discounted so I think about £150 for the pair. I already have an aeropress that I take on trips away but there is no way the coffee coming out is like a proper espresso with crema. It's a great compromise but is an addition to the caficionado's arsenal, not a substitute.

Do I win new word of the day?

Please support my colleague's new coffee roasting business, he's a pilot who found himself the wrong side of the flight deck door when covid struck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Which espresso machines have you owned to enable you to make that decision?

I have an Aeropress as well as a good espresso machine. In my opinion the Aeropress is second best in every way apart from price and portability. All subjective of course, and there may well be people with ownership experience of both that would disagree.
    The elephant in the room is that an aeropress doesn’t make espresso coffee.
    That and a V60 makes a nicer brew (imho).

It’s nice to have options, sometimes I want a filter, sometimes an espresso.
    My point was that you don't (shouldn't) need to spend hundreds on an espresso set up to enjoy good coffee. I'm aware that filter and espresso are different things.

If you're eyeing this thread from a 'first coffee purchase' POV, as the post I responded to is (I assume) then filter is the best way to dip your toe in.

Espresso is great, but not an easy learning curve and expensive to do well.

Craftsman
    I like the classic look of e61 machines, but the maintenance required and 30+mins warm up time steered me towards a lelit elizabeth.
    Not sure if counter space is a consideration either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk