TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Science in motion.

Science in motion.

Good afternoon,

Just received this message from the school:

Science Competition

Dear Parents/Carers,

A reminder of our science competition.

All you need to do is take a picture of science in motion and submit this alongside a brief explanation.

Closing*date is Friday 5th March.

Good luck!
    Miss Jones.

Myself and my 8 year son Neo are looking for some amazing and inspirational idea's from you clever souls for a super entry! :)

Neo will then pick one of your suggested idea's, and I will of course post on image here of the image that will be entered into the competition.

A packet of Haribo will also be sent to the member who's idea Neo picks!
    Last edited by senraw; 1st March 2021 at 13:37.

A bit of an obvious one for this forum but how about a slow exposure lume shot of a watch resulting in s blurred second hand?

Time cannot be stopped, light (lume) is energy, watch movement works on kynetic energy........

I'm sure this could be developed more eloquently but you get the general idea.

Perseverance landing?
    Or the Aptera?

But since you need to take a photo (and not a movie, if I understand correctly, which in itself is paradoxical when it comes to showing science in motion) Mr Curta will probably come with a few ideas.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 1st March 2021 at 13:59.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

let your kid decide, just pointing out examples to help

Thomas Reid
    Perhaps something like this picture of GPS satellites and their tracks? (Get your own picture, though.) Or, from another thread, the tracking of airplane flights?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Longish exposure of Newton’s cradle to show motion.

Thank you for all the brilliant ideas so far, greatly appreciated. :)

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

How about a Star Trail photo. Here’s my first (and so far only) attempt with a Go Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The one that never fails to blow minds is binocular rivalry. It's been described as psychology's Brownian Motion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485850/

One aspect that has plagued me for decades is why exactly simply saying, say, 'RED' out loud will cause the image to change colour. There are few phenomena as easy to set up and experience that are so strange. There are fewer still that entirely lack a coherent and consistent explanation for them. The problem is as perplexing from traditional psychology, philosophy of mind, cognitive science and neurobiology. There are plenty of experiments that you can do that will follow well trodden pathways, but far fewer that take straight beyond the cutting edge and into unknown space...

Try it.

Then try to work out how to get that into a photo...

Incidentally, it reminded me of this:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/w....289382/page-2
    Last edited by M4tt; 2nd March 2021 at 01:46.

There are a few possibilities that might appeal to an 8-year-old. It can be nice if they feature in the image (assuming that is allowed). The trick will be to capture a feeling of motion in a still image.

A very small person at one end of a seesaw with a very large person positioned at an appropriate distance the other side fulcrum to enable it to balance might work if you have people that fit the bill in your bubble, and access to a playground. I'd have the larger person elevated and aim to make it look as though smaller person was just about to launch upwards, to imply motion. The nitty gritty of the physics might be a bit advanced but a simple explanation about distributing weight at different distances to balance the forces will be all they are after.

Another fun one could be the bucket full of water on the end of a piece of string being spun in a vertical circle to demonstrate centripetal force and inertia. A bit of a blur on the bucket will help to indicate motion (and might happen anyway if shooting with a smartphone). Again, the science explanation can be kept fairly straightforward, and mention Newton for extra brownie points. If you are allowed a second image you can follow it up with a photo of a drenched bucket spinner along with a note stating that this is what happens if you spin it too slowly.

He'll be doing states of matter in KS2 - a balloon over the neck of a plastic bottle inflating as the bottle base is dunked in hot water can demonstrate the molecules in air moving faster and taking up more volume, but it won't make for a particularly dynamic image and will rely on the explanation somewhat.

An easy chemical reaction balloon trick is to put some sodium bicarbonate in it, attach it over the neck of a glass bottle containing vinegar whilst keeping the bircarb in the ballon, and then tip it in. There should be quite a fizzy reaction (take a photo before it subsides) and the ballon will partially inflate.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Have you done it yet?

Several types of energy conversion going on here, plus a pretty cool chemical reaction in motion.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Have you done it yet?

Several types of energy conversion going on here, plus a pretty cool chemical reaction in motion.

This is super...something all kids can relate to, yet which has so much going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Have you done it yet?

This is super...something all kids can relate to, yet which has so much going on.