closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Current EDC knife

Current EDC knife

Mine is a Spyderco Endura. Old school model with plastic clip bought in 1990

Current model shown

DON

Due to having a lock that Spyderco is not a UK legal carry.
    I’ve got a Gary Wines Barlow slip jointwith buffalo scales, a Cudeman mt9 with olive wood scales, a Byrd Tern, a Boker Wasabi tanto and a Swiss Army Knife camper. All edc and all UK legal.
    My Swiss Card is illegal because it contains a fixed blade.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Have tried many single blade carries and always come back to using my victorinox alox electrician. Nice thin blades for slicing, the small electrician blade is about as big a knife as I need most times and then the screwdriver/caplifter and the awl serve for prying and poking duties. Plus fits nicely in the coin pocket of jeans and is an entirely unassuming knife when popped out in public and cheap enough to replace if ever lost.

I don’t carry an EDC but when back in stock I’m going to get a Spyderco Honeybee for my keys, the Bug looks good but is very small..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I don’t carry an EDC but when back in stock I’m going to get a Spyderco Honeybee for my keys, the Bug looks good but is very small..

A Leatherman Micra is all I need on my keyring.
    Last edited by magirus; 1st March 2021 at 11:36.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the Bug - it is very small but totally unobtrusive on my keyring and ideal for opening boxes, cutting string etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I have the Bug - it is very small but totally unobtrusive on my keyring and ideal for opening boxes, cutting string etc.

That was my thought just to open boxes, cut string etc, I don’t fancy having a chunky lump of steel on my keys and the reviews I have read rave about the Bug but some say the Honeybee is a good middle ground key ring EDC..

Master
    Blog Entries
    That was my thought just to open boxes, cut string etc, I don’t fancy having a chunky lump of steel on my keys and the reviews I have read rave about the Bug but some say the Honeybee is a good middle ground key ring EDC..
    I guess one advantage of the bigger knife is the longer blade - for a given amount of cutting, it should stay that bit sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I guess one advantage of the bigger knife is the longer blade - for a given amount of cutting, it should stay that bit sharper.

Yeah it is a slightly longer blade but certainly no Crocodile Dundee

I had a CRKT Joureyor, but foolishly left it in the glove box of my Saab when it went for scrap, doh
    Was a great knife and used it alot at work. Grey area legally, as although it was non locking, it had a sneaky hidden mini allen key which you could fit in a certain spot to make it fixed. Leave the allen key at home, legal, have the allen key fitted to fix the blade, not legal, have the allen key in its normal position? have the allen key elsewhere on your person?

Replaced it with a Lansky world legal, which is a beast and makes a mockery of the UK knife laws to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I had a CRKT Joureyor, but foolishly left it in the glove box of my Saab when it went for scrap, doh
    Was a great knife and used it alot at work. Grey area legally, as although it was non locking, it had a sneaky hidden mini allen key which you could fit in a certain spot to make it fixed. Leave the allen key at home, legal, have the allen key fitted to fix the blade, not legal, have the allen key in its normal position? have the allen key elsewhere on your person?

Replaced it with a Lansky world legal, which is a beast and makes a mockery of the UK knife laws to be honest
    All mine are Legal carries. But the UK knife law is stupid. Because the tiny fixed blade in the Swiss Credit Card is illegal. But the cutting edge on my Halifax Visa is longer. And legal. ILL conceived law that doesn’t work. Knife crime at an all time high in London. It’s not the knife it’s the Tool carrying it with intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    All mine are Legal carries. But the UK knife law is stupid. Because the tiny fixed blade in the Swiss Credit Card is illegal. But the cutting edge on my Halifax Visa is longer. And legal. ILL conceived law that doesn’t work. Knife crime at an all time high in London. It’s not the knife it’s the Tool carrying it with intent.

As with all laws - it can be difficult to prescribe exactly what is/isn't in conformance to the law.

Do you really perceive a situation where you are going to get done for carrying a credit-card blade? In fact, remove the blade from a normally-legal folding knife- and that bare blade becomes the same as your credit card blade............ "a blade".

Master
    The UK knife laws are a mess.
    It is illegal to carry any item with ill intent that could be used as a weapon anyway.
    People that want to walk around "tooled up" are probably going to do so anyhow, regardless of the law as has been seen with kids carrying carving knives etc. Carving knives, with fixed blades. Which is more "dangerous" than a folding locking blade in any case.
    The general public also seem very confused by the term "illegal". I've lost count of the number of people I've had to explain to that knives with locking blades are not illegal to own, but you do need to have a good reason to have them on you outside the home or appropriate workplace.
    There are actually knives that ARE illegal to own, such as flick knives, but the list can look a bit arbitrary. "Zombie knives" are banned, but machetes which are basically the same thing, are not.

Even if all knives were banned, full stop, it would not stop some people from carrying weapons to hurt others.

Oh and spyderco bug or honeybee, depending on which set of keys I take with me.
    Last edited by teadazed; 1st March 2021 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    The UK knife laws are a mess.
    It is illegal to carry any item with ill intent that could be used as a weapon anyway.
    People that want to walk around "tooled up" are probably going to do so anyhow, regardless of the law as has been seen with kids carrying carving knives etc. Carving knives, with fixed blades. Which is more "dangerous" than a folding locking blade in any case.
    The general public also seem very confused by the term "illegal". I've lost count of the number of people I've had to explain to that knives with locking blades are not illegal to own, but you do need to have a good reason to have them on you outside the home or appropriate workplace.
    There are actually knives that ARE illegal to own, such as flick knives, but the list can look a bit arbitrary. "Zombie knives" are banned, but machetes which are basically the same thing, are not.

Even if all knives were banned, full stop, it would not stop some people from carrying weapons to hurt others.

Oh and spyderco bug or honeybee, depending on which set of keys I take with me.
    Of course the laws won't stop some people from carrying knives (weapons) to hurt others - but they will cut down on the number of youngsters who carry a knife around "in case" - which might just come into play, in an otherwise less serious confrontation.

The laws are pretty clear if people bothered to actually read them, which would obviate your need to explain them to people.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

If people actually read the law - they would also realise there are differences between ROUK and Scotland with regard to 'weapons'. But they don't - they form their 'facts' based on what their pal down the pub told them.

I don't carry these day to day, but they do come out on walks/job days. And as a 40 year old walking around Cumbria, I'm not stopped by the police much.

1. Rough Rider Lockback Wood Hand
    2. Michael Morris, with awesome blade patina
    3. Punisher pry tool

Paracord tags and heatshrink courtesy of Codie Wranglestar. Such a nice little trick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

1. Rough Rider Lockback Wood Hand
    2. Michael Morris, with awesome blade patina
    3. Punisher pry tool

Paracord tags and heatshrink courtesy of Codie Wranglestar. Such a nice little trick.
    Nice patina on the Michael Morris. I've got the same one but looks almost new since I rarely carry mine. When I do I find that the bottle opener pokes me in the leg quite a lot.

Since I'm WFH, I tend to have my Spyderco Dragonfly 2 ZDP or the Victorinox Pioneer X. The scissors on the SAK is very handy.

It depends on where I am and what I am doing.
    In London / UK I am more than happy with a SAK waiter (bought form SC). It's small thin and slots in the watch pocket of my jeans. I use the bottle opener more than the knife.

I keep an old jack knife in my shooting bag, the screw driver end is perfect for adjusting sights.

When in Africa I carry a larger lock blade SAK with saw and other useful tools or a spring assisted opener.

The knife I buy over and over is the Victorinox Spartan. Fabulous thing, one on my keyring at all times.

I have a few locking knives, but I think that I'll sell them when I get back to the UK - I've not much interest in something I can't carry! Shame - I've got a couple of Opinels that I love. I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only EDC I have is a Spyderco Bug. These are all 'UK legal' - the only one I have taken out of the house in many, many years is the larger of the two SAKs and that was to use the saw.

Victorinix bantam alox in my pocket and a Chambriard compact in my drawer at work.

Last edited by Cornholio; 2nd March 2021 at 12:48. Reason: Added picture

In the spirit of handmade knives a wee tribute...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56240775
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Working on the tools I have a leatherman charge TI usually

Normal carry I have ukpk titanium

I’ve got a Chris reeves small sebenza which I love but very seldom carry these days

Depending which keys I’m using it’s either a leatherman style or a tiny boker knife on the ring

Today I have a UKPK Titanium also.

I used to carry an original UKPK, but recently lost it after having passed through security at Heathrow. Remembered between passport control and the x-ray machine. Didn't have time to go back and drop it in the car. Gutted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of these. Inherited it from my dad.

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Pro...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Craftsman

Recommend an EDC

I'm looking for and EDC knife.

I won't actually carry it all the time but (once we are allowed again) I do a fair bit of 'tin tent' camping in a small camper van along with walking in the countryside, picnics on the hoof and that sort of thing.

I'm after a knife that would cover that sort of activity and stuff around the campsite. and fits in the pocket easily. The obvious I suppose is a Swiss Army camper but is there anything similar maybe with no more than 2 blades and maybe with a bigger as oppose to slim blade that you would recommend?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post

I won't actually carry it all the time but (once we are allowed again) I do a fair bit of 'tin tent' camping in a small camper van along with walking in the countryside, picnics on the hoof and that sort of thing.

I'm after a knife that would cover that sort of activity and stuff around the campsite. and fits in the pocket easily. The obvious I suppose is a Swiss Army camper but is there anything similar maybe with no more than 2 blades and maybe with a bigger as oppose to slim blade that you would recommend?
    You could do worse than check out the UK friendly knives at Heinnie's. Rough Rider are worth looking at, a Chinese brand that often punches well above their price point!

https://heinnie.com/knives-tools/uk-...-edc-knife-uk/

Those not actually looking for a knife would be advised to avoid this 'rabbit hole'. You have been warned
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    In the spirit of handmade knives a wee tribute...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56240775
    Thanks for sharing that. My old home town.
    All the little mesters are dying out, silver, cutlery and knife mesters.

Craftsman
    https://heinnie.com/boker-plus-mini-...l-4-zebra-wood

Just retired my Victorinox Spartan which I found on a beach in Italy 29 years ago. Got one of these nifty little fellas to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post

If I needed a new pocket knife for camping, which I don’t, I think I would go for a Victorinox Farmer X Alox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk